Diet Coke

Options
I'm addicted! I try but I can't stop. I can't even reduce what I consume in a day. I've tried and tried. I know it's garbage. I know that stopping could even help drop more pounds. But it tastes so good. First thing I do in morning is crack open a can. Gotta be a cold can. Nectar of the gods.

Replies

• featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is great for breaking those types of addictions. I'm 17 days in, doing 2 fasts per week, and all cravings are gone. For chocolate, diet Dr. Pepper (that was mine!), cookies, etc. I feel free to enjoy a Dr. P., but simply don't have the desire at this moment.

If you're truly addicted and want to "can" it ;) might be worth a try. Good luck!
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I basically the same way with my fountain Diet Pepsi with extra ice! Ugh! Total addict.
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I used to be a total Diet Coke addict!

When it came to reducing, how much did you reduce? Would you be willing to REPLACE instead of reduce? So try replacing ONE can (or glass) per day with something else like flavoured Perrier? Do that for a week or so and then replace two and continue down that line until you're at one per day and then maybe one per week as a treat or none at all?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a Diet Pepsi kind of gal.

I've cut back a lot....I used to drink the stuff by the gallon. Now I treat myself once in a while.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    How would cutting Diet Coke from your diet help you lose weight? It's zero calories. Do you need to eat each time you have one?
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    How would cutting Diet Coke from your diet help you lose weight? It's zero calories. Do you need to eat each time you have one?

I was wondering the same...
  • peachcats
    Options
    In before "aspartame causes cancer"
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

Ditto. I'm drinking one right now. It's yummy and bubbly and I like it.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Get rid of it and don't buy it. Done.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted! I try but I can't stop. I can't even reduce what I consume in a day. I've tried and tried. I know it's garbage. I know that stopping could even help drop more pounds. But it tastes so good. First thing I do in morning is crack open a can. Gotta be a cold can. Nectar of the gods.
    Stopping it is not going to help you drop more pounds. Don't make the process miserable for yourself, it is not garbage, have it if you enjoy it. NO reason not to. :flowerforyou:
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Eh, I doubt it'd really help you lose weight. Perhaps you'd bloat less and drop some water weight though.

If you like it, drink it. If you want to reduce the amount you drink, try drinking a bottle of water between each can. Force yourself to finish up the water before you open a new one. Even if you don't cut down drastically, at least you'd be getting your water in!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is certainly not the best drink for you. It's full of chemicals, made with distilled water that leaches minerals from your body, has a brown color that yellows your teeth, etc. However, it's also not the worst and, despite claims to the contrary, won't make you gain weight.

I used to drink nothing but Diet Coke. I tried to quit cold turkey once. That week was the worst year of my life. :laugh: I would NOT recommend it! Instead what I did was slowly replace one Diet Coke each day with water flavored with lemon, lime, Mio, or whatever. Then I replaced another and another until I'm down to one Diet Coke each morning (I don't drink coffee) and then plain water for the rest of the day. I will occasionally have another if I'm dining out but I no longer need it and can even go days at time without any caffeine and no headaches! I'm saving a lot of money, too. That $1.60 per bottle adds up.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I use to drink 12 to 24 12oz cans a day. Yes, I said cans. I gave it up 5 months ago. I drink unsweetened, decaf, black tea. I understand where you are coming from. I was addicted to it myself. Now, I would never touch the stuff.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

:sad:

I'm so jealous, gonna have to wait until I get back home to enjoy mine, with some rum most likely :drinker:
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Diet soda for SOME has been found to make them crave and eat more is how it hampers weight lose.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Wondering as well.... I would understand if you are drinking multiple cans or bottles of the soda a day but just because its not very good on your kidney's ... One diet coke a day cant possibly hurt your diet. On that note I think I will crack one open myself :drinker:
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options

:sad:

I'm so jealous, gonna have to wait until I get back home to enjoy mine, with some rum most likely :drinker:

ooh rum! good idea!:drinker:
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes, the soda itself does not typically cause weight gain (that I know of.) however, for me personally, I have one and want nothing but junk for the rest of the day. If I abstain, no cravings.

That's just me though. Slippery slope.