EMOTIONAL EATING?

Options
Hi all,

My eating patterns seem to change depending on my mood.. Which isn't great as I am not overall happy at the moment - which leads me to eat rubbish and not care!

Does anyone have any advice or idea why?

Would be much appreciated!
Feel free to add me as a friend would love to get to know people!
Good luck everyone!

Charlotte:smooched:

Replies

• ilessa
    ilessa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It can quickly progress into the cycle of feel bad-> eat -> feel bad for eating -> eat more so you'll want to break out of that as much as you can.

I suffer really badly with emotional eating (something I can control) because of severe fluctuations in my mood (out of my control currently due to medical reasons).

I find that having a decent support network to let off some steam and and also trying to go do something that will cheer me up instead of eating has helped.

Hopefully that made sense, not always the best at putting things down as coherently as they make sense in my head :)
  • Pickledpiper
    Pickledpiper Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with emotional eating. I agree with the above poster about it becoming a cycle. The only way that I have found to beat it, is to break the cycle. You just have to stop yourself. As dumb as it may sound, I have conversations with myself when the feeling strikes. I just do my best to talk myself out of it, because I know what the consequences are. I had my first bout of it in about 6 months about 2 weeks ago, it lasted about a week and I just binged and binged. I know it isn't easy, but once you make the decision to stop doing it, after about a week, not binging/emotional eating becomes habit, the more you don't do it, the easier it becomes. Yes, you will have triggers sometimes, and when that happens you have to find a way to not reach for the food. Maybe it's getting out of the house, or logging onto mfp and finding motivation here. Sometimes if you just call yourself out on it publicly, for instance tell someone how you are feeling, post it on your mfp wall etc...you may be surprised at how it really helps the feeling pass. It does take work though, and it is a mental battle at times, but the more you win, the easier it becomes (as previously stated).
  • looseweight_
    Options
    Wow those comments are really good.. It's nice to know minor the only one! Was starting to think there was something wrong with me!! I will try and break out of it as hard as I can, just going through a rough patch ATM and food seems the kinky thing to make me feel better!

Well done on your weightloss, so inspirational both of you!
    Thanks for the advice xxx
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've found that finding something that you do for stress reduction in place of eating can help. For example, I used to be an emotional eater (still find myself in that role every once in a while when things get especially stressful) it helps me to look up what I'm planning on eating and decide if it's worth that calories, if I decide that it's worth it... or decide I don't care at that moment I then try to think about how I feel after I eat said snack... usually it's not good stuff like fruit or veggies that I binge on and I usually feel like crap after eating in anyway. Sometimes that helps. If that doesn't help then getting up and doing something active usually helps to boost your mood and can distract you enough to get through the impulse. It really is a process, and unfortunately the only way to change is to make the consious decision to change and to put steps into place for yourself when you find yourself in that situation. You are by no means alone! But you can break out of it!!
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I was an emotional eater before. My (personal) definition of an emotional eater was like "Oh, boohoo. I'm so sad/lonely/whatever. I need some food to make me feel comfortable. Food is my friend." So I decided I'm not like that so I must not be an emotional eater.

But then, after tracking everything on MFP I discovered that my emotional trigger wasn't sadness, but stress or anger. I would start the day out having pre-entered my breakfast and healthy lunch. Then I'd have a crappy morning at work and leave for lunch happy to get out of there and end up driving thru McD's or KFC thinking "Screw this @$#&, I'm having junk for lunch."

I'm trying meditation exercises to remove stress and I try not to eat junk when I am feeling stressed.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    advice.

1) therapy/counseling

2) when you log ur foods there is a notes section.

I used that as a journal to see if happenings in my day led to emotional eating. apparently not for me. since you already know you are an emotional eater maybe this type of journaling can help you identify moods to watch for or just habits that don't help you. if i had discovered i was an emotional eater my next step was going to be to actually write a mood with zero calories right at each meal inputting it as "enter your own food" or whatever that's called when you can put anything in the food diary. I thought that would help me see it more clearly and then give me ideas how to fix it but that didn't turn out to be the case for me.

I'm sorry that it is for you but since you know it I think that's the hardest part of anything. Once you know you can fix it.
  • looseweight_
    Options
    Thank you all for taking time to read my post and write advice, really means a lot :-) I will take it all into account, you're all such kind hearted people :-) xxx
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I like the comment about talking to yourself about it. You have to figure out what the trigger is and stay away from it. My emotional trigger was family issues. I have a lot of intertwining on going problems with family that just doesn't give a **** about me and I had to accept that. I also do a form of therapy in scrap booking. When I am feeling the urge to eat after a phone conversation with a family member, I high tail to my scrap booking station and get working. Sometimes, the best solution would be to just walk about from the problem but for me, them being my family, I can't. Everyone one here said such awesome things, I don't want to repeat anyone but finding the trigger and diverting yourself is your best option.
  • Azarashi1
    Options
    In my case I think that food is something that I use to take a break from life. I really enjoy eating certain foods, so when I'm doing it the activity itself is so rewarding that it allows me to take a break from whatever problem I'm working on at the time. In time it has become a conditioned response. I'm working in the lab and my code is stuck? I eat. I feel anxious? I eat. Bored? Eat. And usually if I start eating I end up bingeing. And I don't even need to eat stuff that I really enjoy anymore, I can eat baby carrots just to take a break.
    I'm now trying to break this circle...
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    At least you r aware that you r emotionally eating!! That is a first step!!! Like everyone said try to find your triggers ( stress, anger, depression). When you get that feeling reach out to anybody. I realized that if I talk about it even in a blog it helps me fight the urge. Don't get me wrong there r days when I give in and I'm sure there will be more but don't let those days tear all your hard work apart. My favourite lines is pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep on trying. If you r making healthy choices most of the time you r doing more than many out there. Be proud of what you r accomplishing!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Try to find something else to do when you feel like eating something... Going for a walk helps me a lot, personally (when possible).
  • katealbright
    katealbright Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I ran across something interesting at Whole Foods called Bach Emotional Eating Support Kit. It has three different herbal supplement bottles for different phases of emotional eating/binging. It has really good reviews, I wonder if anyone here has ever used it?

http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews/Bach-Original-Flower-Essences-Emotional-Eating-Support-Kit-3-Bottles-0-35-fl-oz-10-ml-Each/11480/?p=1