Burpees

Options
how do I do them

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I had to start with a beginner burpee - hands elevated on a step about 1 foot off the ground. You can find videos on You Tube that will show you how to do them.

Tough muthers - but good results.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ok so there are different intensities for burpees. Modified on a step is an option. The standard basic burpee is this:
    Start of standing, bend down and place your hands on the floor.
    Jump feet back into a plank position (top of a pushup)
    Complete pushup
    Jump the feet back in, stand up and hop.

To modify you can take the pushup out

To make it harder you can turn them into man-makers (hold weights in your hands, jump out into the pushup add in two plank rows and jump back in... leave weights on the floor)

Youtube has good how to videos on stuff if your a visual person and need to see it. I usually start my clients with a goal of a certain number of burpees (usually around 10 is a good starting goal... they're not easy and it doesn't have to be pretty) two or three sets with a couple seconds to a minute in between for recovery. Eventually you build up your endurance so that you can do more faster... I'm not sure if I would say they ever get easier... just more doable :)
  • beachlover317
    Options
    Ok so there are different intensities for burpees. Modified on a step is an option. The standard basic burpee is this:
    Start of standing, bend down and place your hands on the floor.
    Jump feet back into a plank position (top of a pushup)
    Complete pushup
    Jump the feet back in, stand up and hop.

To modify you can take the pushup out

To make it harder you can turn them into man-makers (hold weights in your hands, jump out into the pushup add in two plank rows and jump back in... leave weights on the floor)

Youtube has good how to videos on stuff if your a visual person and need to see it. I usually start my clients with a goal of a certain number of burpees (usually around 10 is a good starting goal... they're not easy and it doesn't have to be pretty) two or three sets with a couple seconds to a minute in between for recovery. Eventually you build up your endurance so that you can do more faster... I'm not sure if I would say they ever get easier... just more doable :)

I must try the variation you mentioned. NO truer words: They're not easy and it doesn't have to be pretty! Off to google man makers!
  • benchpressmomma
    Options
    burpees are the devil.

Haha! This made my day!
  • diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    burpees are the devil.

Indeed. Burpees are an exercise specifically engineered for people who are low to the ground. Unless you are a small child, a hobbit, a dwarf, or a Lillipution, burpees are ill-advised.
  • Bellasoxie
    Bellasoxie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just learnt how to do them in a safe but effective form tonight by a nice gym instructor.

The secret was to squat and then place your hands down on the floor as you are lower to the ground, makes sense hopefully. Te squat also makes for a better workout.
    :noway:
    My previous burpee style was messy when I jumped my legs out I would be uneven and all over the place. The nice gym instructor also helped clear that up as I was keeping my legs too close together,by positioning your feet at shoulder width or more gives better stability when you jump your feet back.

Yeah for better form burpees, although they still hurt and wear you out!
  • beachlover317
    Options
    burpees are the devil.

Indeed. Burpees are an exercise specifically engineered for people who are low to the ground. Unless you are a small child, a hobbit, a dwarf, or a Lillipution, burpees are ill-advised.

<snort> Lillipution.
  • Bellasoxie
    Bellasoxie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    He he he haaaaa!!! I was still typing and did not see the response. On reflection I think the nice gym instructor who gave the burpee tips tonight may have been part Lillipution, lower to the ground.