Carbs go down saturated fat goes up, help!

Options
My last blood test should my triglycerides up about 150 but my LDL and HDL are both good. So my doctor says cut the carbs down. I am very frugal with sugar but my carbs where averaging between 200 and 300 a day. So I am trying to get that down to about 150 a day by subbing more nuts, seeds, cutting out grains, etc. So my saturated fats are over the limit every day.

I have a family history of heart disease hence my concern over the saturated fats. I do eat mostly fish, turkey, and chicken with the occasion grass-fed and finished beef and do not do any type of take out foods and really limited process foods too.

So for now though should I really just concentrate on the carbs being low and not worry about the saturated fats going up?

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    If you lower your carbs to 100 then I think saturated fats are not as much a problem, from what I read.

The lower your carbs, the less problem with saturated fats.
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    The Last Heart Attack -- CNN Dr. Sanjay Gupta full Documentary
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Unn7LjFkI
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    If you're consuming nuts, seeds and leaner protein based like chicken and fish then your sats should be way below. Are you monitoring this right? Your fat is total fat calculated so will include poly and mono fats. You may be 'over' your fat but not all of this will be saturated. Maybe lower the frequency of beef, as red meat is choc full of saturated fat?
  • ccb1128
    ccb1128 Posts: 56
    Options
    Saturated fat isn't bad for you.
  • cheddar2000
    cheddar2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have my saturated fat set at 7g per 1200 calories trying to keep it at 10% or so. Maybe to low? I know the saturated fat argument but I don't think the evidence is there for it (JMHO) but do agree fats are good as a whole.
  • ccb1128
    ccb1128 Posts: 56
    Options
    Saturated fat isn't bad for you.

Just to clarify, I'm paleo so the majority of my macros are from fat. My numbers came back perfectly normal at my annual physical.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The link b/w saturated fat and heart disease has gotten a lot weaker as more research has been done on it. Your best bet for avoiding heart dz is going to be staying lean, eating lots of veggies, getting enough healthy fats, not smoking, and exercising. Avoiding saturated fats should be lower on your priority list.