Lunch time tricks

Options
If anyone can add to these please let me know! I would like some new tricks because lunch is my "starving time" of the day. Here are the ones I use now...

What seems to work for me ( I like quantity at lunch) is making some kind of sandwich (Like pb and j or turkey and cheese with mustard) and then sides that are very little calories.

Another entree I choose is to get a really low calorie chinese dish lean cusine or healthy choice tv dinner (Like sweet and sour chicken) and add a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter, and come crushed red pepper flakes to it and stir it all together. It tastes like thai peanut pasta and is still only about 320 cals!

Some sides I choose may seem like weird foods, but you can eat a lot more without overdoing the calories. Some sides I choose are pickles, green olives (if you pack some feta cheese stuffed kind they are only 10 cals each!) carrots w hummus, buffalo hot eggs, gerber baby puffs--these taste like cheetos are are 150 cals if you eat the WHOLE CONTAINER, beef jerkey, fat free pork rinds, meringue cookies (basically taste like flavored air but at least you feel like youre eating something), etc.

Like I said, some weird foods on that list but they are different than the usual veggies and fruit sides. I cant stand yogurt either, but do like cottage cheese with salt and pepper. If I have a chance I also sprinkle things with cayenne red pepper flakes or powder because I like spicy foods and they burn 10 extra calories per hour for the next 4 hours. Just by putting it on top of food.

Also, then I have to pack some small dessert to look forward to. Dark semi sweet chocolate chips, peanut butter on a graham cracker, 2 pieces of chocolate candy, etc.

Then I chew cinnamon or mint gum immediately after to make myself stop craving :)

Replies

• Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I usually pack my main lunch thing and then 4 small snacks. I eat 2 small snacks mid-morning and 2 small snacks mid-afternoon. It helps me to not be as ravenous at lunch or dinner...and to not go foraging at work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A Healthy Choice Sweet and Sour Chicken entree is like 390 calories all by itself...a heaping Tbsp of peanut butter is going to give you around 150 - 200 calories...I think your math is off.

Edit: not like that's a whole lot of calories, just sayin'...I think bad math is what has a lot of people thinking they're eating X calories when they're really eating Y.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    there's your problem

I could eat THREE of those lean cousine things and probably just be satisfied- they aren't filling AT ALL. I eat them as a last minute- like SERIOUSLY last minute choice- i'd rather just get a frozen pizza LOL.

I just pack more left overs. I have 5 oz chicken and 5 oz of veggies and usually tides me till about 2- when i slice up green pepper and a tomato- just a nice refreshing snack- then I have a yogurt or my hard boiled eggs around 3.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm with JoRocky, those frozen meals don't fill me up at all (I had one for breakfast though... lol) for the calories. Same with sandwiches really, unless I load them with lean meats, cheese, tomato, avocado etc... and it got to be whole grain bread... and it's typically quite a lot of calories too.

The most filling for me is some meat with veggies. Or a big salad with chicken or smoked salmon and some kind of cheese.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Lunch time tricks

I've thought about doing that before I got that last raise. The rent is just too damn high.
  • ElphabaWeasley
    ElphabaWeasley Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I pack sandwhiches I just use one piece of bread (wheat) and put the normal amount of stuff as I would on a normal sandwhich except I skip the mayo. It cuts down the calories and carbs just a bit. I also look for snacks that are high in protein and fiber and when in doubt much on vegetables when I get hungry.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I bring all my food with me to work in a huge lunch bag!! I'm sure my coworkers are like DAMN, she eats A LOT!!! And I do - I eat every 2-3 hours!!!

9:00 AM BREAKFAST (today I had a cup of Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt; 80 calories and 8 grams of sugar; if I have more time in the morning I might make a protein shake, or even a spinach omelette and have a couple turkey sausage links on the side).

11:00 AM SNACK TIME!!! I always have fresh berries at my disposal - I snack on raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries a lot. Other fave snacks might be a cheddar cheese stick (100 calories), a cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, an apple, some mini edamame crackers (36 per serving!) and some Alouette light spread; whatever)

1:00 - 1:30 PM LUNCH I really like having my standard "Cali Kat" sandwich for lunch: 100% whole wheat bread, avocado (I spread it on the bread instead of using mayo), sprouts, red lettuce leaves, cucumbers, turkey and ham; I usually have a side of mixed berries with that. If I'm really hungry I might throw in a cup of Progresso Light soup as well, but that doesn't happen very often.

4:30 PM SNACK TIME AGAIN!!!

7:30 PM DINNER!!! I like to make sure I have an abundance of calories for dinner because my husband and I eat dinner together every night, and he's a chef so the eatin's usually pretty good. Whatever I'm eating, I make sure I have some kind of veggie side dish like asparagus.

9:30 - 10:00 PM EVENING SNACK/DESSERT - my fave dessert is affogato, which is black coffee poured over a scoop of fat free vanilla Greek frozen yogurt; or I'll have fruit again, or popcorn, or cheese, or whatever.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Lunch time tricks

I've thought about doing that before I got that last raise. The rent is just too damn high.

brilliant
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I like to have Low Carb Wraps with either Chicken, Lean Pork Tenderloin or Lean Steak. Also fish is good too. I sometimes put 1 tablespoon of Roasted Red Pepper Hummus on the wrap, then add the meat. I also add bell peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, 2% grated cheese and light Ranch Dressing. It is very satisfing.
  • breanazank
    Options
    For main I usually have a veggie sandwich with hummus or black bean spread - depending on how much time I have, I will roast the veggies for more flavor.

I also make lentil and black/pinto bean "tacos" in lettuce wraps. I switch this up often too, playing with various flavors.

Snacks I always pack lots of fresh veggies and snack on those throughout the day
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I make a huge pot of vegetable soup with either very lean ground beef or chicken breast. I use a huge amount of vegetables. The hot soup is very satisfying and low in calories.
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy. Do you have a recipe of your favorite you would like to share?
  • jenny8117
    jenny8117 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Its not healthy choice, Its lean cuisine and the calorie is 200. I couldn't remember exactly what the dish was but I think its Chicken chow mein or something like that. You can look it up. Just to clarify!
  • jenny8117
    Options
    Just looked up the one I like--Oriental Beef stir fry. 200 cals :) And no its not filling, but 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and red pepper all over it, plus a large water and a handful of semi sweet dark chocolate chips after,, it works for me.

Thanks for the tips!!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Its not healthy choice, Its lean cuisine and the calorie is 200. I couldn't remember exactly what the dish was but I think its Chicken chow mein or something like that. You can look it up. Just to clarify!

They are all the same and they all aren't very filling. LOL
  • brokenlogic18
    brokenlogic18 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For me, my lunches are usually centred around some leftovers from a meal the night before/at the weekend and I just do variations on that theme. You can see these in my food diary!

A huge favourite is tomato, mozzarella, spinach and rocket with pesto. I'm roasting a shoulder of pork this weekend so next weeks lunches I'm thinking pork and apple salad with a mustard and non-fat yoghurt dressing. You can make so many lovely filling and really tasty salads with a little creativity! The only thing I have to remember is to make them the night before, as I'd just not have the time in the morning.
  • jenny8117
    Options
    Yum, sounds good broken logic! I love tomato and pesto :)