What is Your Gym Rountine? Need Help on Mine!!!

Options
I go to the gym maybe twice, three times a week? But when I go there, I'll do 15 mins of running, and 2 mins on all the machines (i.e circuit training, abs, arms, thighs) I do 3 sets, 10 reps on each one but I feel like I don't spend enough time on them and I feel so scattered because I have no real order of doing things when I go there!!!

What is your routine? Any advice on how I should improve mine? What order should I do it in? LOST!!!!

Replies

• FMaddyF94
    Options
    I try and do an hour when I go to the gym so I will do 20 minutes running, 20 minutes cross-training, 10 minutes rowing and 10 minutes cycling but this does make me bored at times so I will add some strength training on days I feel demotivated. I try and go three times a week :)...your routine sounds good though. You can always decide on what you will do before you go to the gym as well, so that it is planned out and you feel less 'scattered' :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Try to do bigger movements first, if you do compound lifts, if you don't - well, I'd suggest you look into a program like Stronglifts - or into one of the groups here of women that lift.

If you are just doing machines - increase the weight progressively - 3x10 is enough and should feel difficult if you increase the resistance.

Ideally - dumbells + freeweights are better than machines - machines have a place in training but if your gym has access to free weights, learn those.
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Dandeliiondreams Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Same question lol =)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts 5x5, a very simple program that has 5 compound exercises which are split into workout A & B, which you do 3 times a week.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I take one group class per day, and these range from 25-75 minutes long depending on which class it is. The one I do the most is kettlebells, usually 3-4 times per week. Others include bodypump, bodycombat, bodyvive, Zumba, yoga, core, HIIT, African dance...maybe a few others I'm forgetting. Anyway, kettlebells is my main thing. On days when I can't manage to schedule a class, I do 20-40 minutes on the elliptical, and some days I do that in addition to my class if I have time.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    If you aren't sure what you should be doing in the gym, investing in a couple of sessions with a good trainer might be a place to start. Let them know up front that at the present time you are only doing a couple of sessions with them but may be back to get more information later.

There are a few web sites that show different exercises for each body part that you can look into as well. Just google them
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Any limitations we should be aware of (equipment you do/don't have access to, lifts/exercises you refuse to do, etc)?

Personally, I do cardio when I can (basketball, running, cycling) and lift 3-4 times per week.
    - Day 1: overhead press, deadlift, row
    - Day 2: bench, squat, pull-up
    - Day 3: accessory work (dips, lap pull downs, ab work, shoulder work, curls, calves, etc)
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'll just reiterate some of the previous postings.

Some cardio as a warm up is good. I typically don't do more then 10min but I also don't have a ton of time.
    Some machines are good but I would move more towards the free weights and full body exercises. Also lift as heavy as you can. You're last couple reps should be to the point that you would only be able to do 1 or 2 more in good form. You don't have to go to the point of muscle exhaustion.
    If your gym offers personal trainers I would suggest digging down deep and investing in a couple sessions to get advice and a workout plan.
    If a trainer isn't possible, I've heard strong lifts is a good program and I've been doing The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Both are good for self guided routines.
    I don't think doing specific exercises in any specific order makes a difference. Doing different things at different times helps break up the boredom and lets your muscles rest.

Edit: The higher # of reps the lower the weight should be, the lower the reps the higher the weight should be. My current phase in my routine has me doing 3 sets at 8 reps so your 3/10 is just fine. Again, the last couple reps should be to the point that you could only do 1 or 2 more in good form.
  • LrdTwitchyMcChin
    Options
    I just recently started back at the gym and I have a routine I follow every time. I start with about 20-25 min on the elliptical to warm up. From there I start my weight lifting. Depending on the day I do upper body and core or lower body and core. I do 3 sets of 10 on each.

Upper Body Day (all machines):
    Back Extension
    Torso Twist
    Ab Machine
    Seated Row
    Tricep Press
    Bench Press
    Chest Fly
    Lateral Raise
    Lat Pull Down

Lower Body Day (all machines):
    Back Extension
    Torso Twist
    Ab Machine
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Leg Press
    Hip Adductors
    Hip Abductors

After lifting weights I hit the pool and do the breast stroke for 10 laps. I'm a self taught swimmer so I'm definitely not a strong swimmer at the moment, but this style burns TONS of calories! (Recently I've also added in some crunches and oblique crunches when I get home from the gym (due to lack of time at the gym), but I may try to work that into my routine at the gym somewhere too.) After swimming it's a good 10 minute soak in the hot tub then off to the showers.

My whole routine takes roughly two hours at the gym. And it leaves me with a nice soreness/burn for the next day or 2!
  • Jessicahanzlik
    Jessicahanzlik Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Any limitations we should be aware of (equipment you do/don't have access to, lifts/exercises you refuse to do, etc)?

Personally, I do cardio when I can (basketball, running, cycling) and lift 3-4 times per week.
    - Day 3: accessory work (dips, lap pull downs, ab work, shoulder work, curls, calves, etc)

I do not have anything that I limit myself to, I have asthma so cardio is a little harder on me but I can over come it with my inhaler :P
  • mapiercy10
    Options
    Most all gyms will offer free education. If you can not afford training sessions, which who really can?????, then just ask the trainers which machines would be good. It is easier to start on machine and then work out into the free weight world. My other advice is find another strong female in your gym that you think is doing the things you would like to do and become buddies with her. Knowledge is power when it comes to strength training and you are absolutely correct when admitting you feel scattered. To see great results it must be planned:) I have women approach me at the gym all the time and I love it. I do not pretend to be a guru but I do not mind guiding people in the right direction. You can find plenty of online lifting programs, but please find someone to help you with form. Poor lifting form and equal a disaster. Good luck.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Putting together your own gym routine is something best left to people who really know the ins and outs of what they're doing. Since that clearly isn't you, you're better off following a pre-fab routine like Stronglifts.
  • merecard
    merecard Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was always told to get the biggest muscles warmed up first. Then work from there.
    It is also a great idea to have not ONE but TWO or THREE different work-out routines. (and add more weight or distance each time around)
    Do #1 for 2 to four weeks, and then change it up. Keep that muscle "confusion" going
    Then do #2 for 2 to four weeks and change it up again.
    Exercise shouldn't get easier, you should challenge yourself more......add more weight to lift, try to go farther on the tread/ellip, do more lunges.....
    When you get stuck in a routine (for most people - not everyone...some people do awesome with a set routine) but you need to keep challenging yourself!
    So don't worry about finding a set routine, try to find things that you like to do, (or hate to do and then BLAST through them!) and change it up so that it doesn't get boring.
    Have you tried Tababa training yet? It's great and you can add different elements to each on. I googled it and found a ton of videos to help me, keeps it interesting and you can do anything you set your mind to!!
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    You're only going for 20 minutes? I feel like that's not enough time to accomplish anything, you're just warming up at that point.

I go to hot yoga three times a week for an hour and 15 minutes, I work out with my trainer for an hour where we do warm ups, either running around the track, light lifts for warming up my arms, then we go into some heavy leg work, heavy lifting on the squat rack, dumb bell presses and lifting for arms, just depends, it's different every time I see him which is why I love it.

If I go by myself, at the very least, I spend 30 minutes there, warm up either on the treadmill or track if I plan on doing legs, or warm up with light lifts for my arms, then start in on the heavier stuff and I ALWAYS do abs.

One thing I found about the gym, I never touch a machine, I prefer free weights, medicine balls, kettlebells, etc. over machines. I haven't been on a machine in the gym in 3 years.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    You're only going for 20 minutes? I feel like that's not enough time to accomplish anything, you're just warming up at that point.

Disagree.
  • SPPutnam
    SPPutnam Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I saw my greatest results when I was using Body for Life's HIIT cardio routine and alternating upper and lower body lifting schedule as well at practicing martial arts an hour a day for 5 days a week. Have fun!
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I do not have anything that I limit myself to, I have asthma so cardio is a little harder on me but I can over come it with my inhaler :P

Do you have any specific goals?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Disagree.

concure.

I can kick anyone's *kitten* in 10-15 minutes... even my own.
  • tiffanywentz
    Options
    Ideally, you break up your weights by muscle group so you don't overwork muscles and they all get attention. Trying to lift 3x a week, you can do back and biceps, chest and triceps, shoulders and legs. Research kettle bell workouts or see if your gym has a TRX set-up. I think those help get more functional movements and even if you don't try to work a muscle these are all over body workers so you can get your heart rate up in addition to getting your weights in. As far as reps, you have two basic choices. High reps, low weight. Or Low reps, High Weight. If you are after weight loss, I'd recommend alternating weeks to two high rep weeks and then throw in a low rep week. For big reps, you want a moderate weight that you can lift ok. You want to do 3x20 and should be feeling it during the last 5 reps of each set. If you can't make 20 reps, your weight is too high. If you don't fatigue, your weight is too low. For low rep, you should pick a weight that will tire you after about 6 reps and should go for 3x8 reps. The weight should be higher than you would do for high weight and you should have a hard time doing that last set. See if your class offers a Bodypump class...it teaches you tons of free-weight movements and is a great class. Also, search youtube to see different free-weight, kettle bell, and medicine ball workouts. It helps if you write down your workout before you go in. I usually try to plan a minimum of 6 different activities (3 for each targeted muscle group for the day). Oh...and if you do cardio the same day as weights, do it after. But....what I prefer is to turn my weight lifting into cardio. I set all my stuff up and instead of taking breaks and letting my heart rate drop, I just alternate muscle groups so the muscle gets a break but I keep working. Or throw in lunges, push-ups, 2 minutes of rowing or on a stationary bike in between reps and you can work cardio into weights. Long post...but I hope it helps.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I work shoulders, chest/triceps, legs/abs, back/biceps. usually 30 minutes of cardio after. Mostly free weights. Rep range 10, 8, 6.