Tools

Options
New here, 6 days... I think.

Anyway, it's been suggested to me that I should purchase a FitBit or some form of HRM gadget as the MFP auto logs for calories burned are inaccurate. I've also noticed that some specific forms of workouts (JM 30DS) are not listed at all.

That being said, I'd like some input on where I'm going to get the most bang for my buck. I'd prefer to spend under $100. The only access to the internet I have is at work (can't download software) and my cell (android).

I'm asking those of you who are more experienced with these types of tools. What worked? What didn't? What was user friendly? What was inexpesive yet effective?

Thanks a ton!!

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 HRM. I ordered it online somewhere for $60 with free shipping. I have always done most of my workouts at home so it's great for workout DVDs, running outside, etc. It's great if you're doing cardio at the gym too since the machines tend to be pretty off. I got it over a year ago and I still use it all the time and never had any problems with it.

I don't use a FitBit/Body Media type of thing (one that you wear all day) because I've found that the BMR/RMR calculations are spot on for me. I just put on the HRM during workouts and log those calories and that's it.

You're right, a lot of the workouts aren't in the exercise database but you can add your own and MFP saves them for you. You just need to enter in minutes and calories burned.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Oh P.S. - The HRM was the second-best investment I made in my weight loss. The best is a digital food scale that I got at Target for $25. Those are really the only two "tools" I have needed (besides workout DVDs, dumbbells, etc.).
  • davidji
    davidji Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't reccomend any of these tools as they are mostly gimmickly and aim to just make you feel good or bad about yourself when looking at the numbers. Just use myfitnesspal and track your macros and see how you're progressing from one week to the next. If you're getting X amount of calories a week and for that week you didn't lose any weight, scale down another 200 cals and see how you go.
    Tracking calories burned is a foolish idea, just keep consistent with what you're doing.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Tracking calories burned is a foolish idea, just keep consistent with what you're doing.

Hmmm...well, I've lost 50 pounds tracking both calories burned as well as eaten and maintained my goal weight and size for some time now, so I guess to each her own.

I have both an HRM and a Fitbit and use both daily. I'd probably purchase an HRM over the Fitbit, but it's pretty close. They serve different purposes.
  • WorkingOnMe3
    Options
    To each his own, davidji.

But for me, this is something I'm interested in doing.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. The Polar does seem to be affordable enough.
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The polar FT4 is actually a really good choice, because you don't need anything else. It comes with the chest strap and the watch/computer. It is also waterproof and can be used for swimming. It keeps track of calories and heart rate.
    Here is a link to the product page showing what all it can do.
    http://www.polar.com/us-en/products/compare?product1=23349
    I was actually thinking about it. I have a wahoo blue HRM and use it with my iPhone, but can't use it while swimming.
    Another nice thing about the FT4 is that you can purchase the H7 HR strap later on and use it with both the FT4 watch and a Bluetooth 4.0 LE phone at the same time.
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    As for the whole fitness tracking industry being a gimmick. I couldn't agree less with that statement. It helps motivate me to walk more.
    I try to be on top of my fitbit friends list and it pushes me to go and walk more. I have a couple friends on my list that walk 13 to 15k steps per day and trying to keep up with them has really pushed me. So I would say that if you are competitive at all it is definitely worth the investment. Now that being said if you only want to spend $100 or less than I would go with the HRM first and consider getting the fitness device later. Polar actually just came out with a fitness tracker that has the capability to link to their HRM straps so that should be cool but it is more than $100 and that isn't including the chest strap.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    For fitbit
    Unless your android phone has the right type of bluetooth (see their website for the compatible models) you won't be able to sync it, as it requires a software download to do it on the computer.

Something to bear in mind.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't reccomend any of these tools as they are mostly gimmickly and aim to just make you feel good or bad about yourself when looking at the numbers. Just use myfitnesspal and track your macros and see how you're progressing from one week to the next. If you're getting X amount of calories a week and for that week you didn't lose any weight, scale down another 200 cals and see how you go.

I'm going to disagree with this as well, ESPECIALLY if you are doing the MFP numbers and eating back your calories. The numbers on MFP are really off and if you try to use them, then you're number are going to be off.

Even if you are doing a flat rate, I fine my HRM useful to keep track of relative calories burned and heart rate exertion - I do Insanity and there are lots of times when I'm watching my HRM to make sure I'm okay.

I've found my useful (25 lbs later) and only $40.00, although its not a chest strap.