work from home/exercising question

Options
I work from home doing data entry, so I am on my behind most of the day. Aside from getting up and stretching once in a while during the day, I have wondered if flexing and holding muscles would help tone them. Can anyone give me any info on this?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I work from home doing data entry, so I am on my behind most of the day. Aside from getting up and stretching once in a while during the day, I have wondered if flexing and holding muscles would help tone them. Can anyone give me any info on this?

I don't believe that's going to do anything significant.

Getting more tone is largely a function of the amount of fat covering your muscles. Getting larger muscles may help as well.

You really need to focus on overall fat loss and given your circumstance I'd suggest moving around more when possible, and I'd get on a body-weight training program that you can do at home without much/any additional equipment.

Google "You are your own gym" for an example.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Isometrics (just holding a position) are both overrated and dangerous for those that are overweight or unfit with an added blood pressure risk.

There are plenty of bodyweight exercises available, you just have to find a way to make them the suitable level for you.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Instead of getting up and stretching, do 50 squats or lunges or hold plank for a minute. Run on the spot, jumping jacks, fake jump rope, mountain climbers or bicycle climbers. Make the most of break time and re energize yourself.
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    When I work from home I try to set a timer and get up and do something every hour. Sometimes that is housework (starting laundry, vacuuming an area or putting dishes away). The idea is not for a long break but rather to get the blood moving again. It is also a good time to grab a new bottle of water and use the facilities. I aim for a 5 minute break (like changing classes in school) with the idea of short breaks will make me be more productive because I will more focused when I return.

Also, I have seen exercise balls used as desk chairs -- I have no idea if this is a good idea or not. Some of my graduate student friends have desks on treadmills so they can work out and study at the same time. The desk jobs are always hard because it is difficult to burn calories while sitting still.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, working from home, some days i barely move from my chair. To counteract it, i go for a 3 mile run most evenings, and also take my dogs on a mile walk at lunchtime.

ive been thinking about getting one of those thigh clencher things, so i can use it while im sitting.
  • lauriehouse
    lauriehouse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do data entry as well and work in a home office. I have little dogs that I take care of and walk every few hours for 10 mins at a time. Getting up and taking walks throughout the day might help. I also go to the gym after work to try and work on toning my body up a bit more.
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sadly that won't work! I work from home as well so I feel your pain! Definitely set an alarm frequently to get up and walk about for a bit! Are you exercising regularly outside of work?
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I also work from home and I use my lunch break for my daily workout. I HATE getting up early and lack motivation after 5. I like being able to walk/run on the treadmill or outside depending on the weather without having to worry about going back to work all sweaty and offending my co-workers. My dog doesn't seem to care or is just not easily offended.
  • MISALJO6
    MISALJO6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. Guess I need to set a reminder on my calendar for me to get up and do something to counteract the sitting. You all gave me great advice/ideas.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I work from home and I find that my Fitbit is a great little motivator. I have mini step goals all day long, which forces me to step away from the computer and move. (2500 steps by 10:30, 5000 steps by noon, etc.) I also schedule time away from home to work out -- go for a run/walk/bike ride or to the gym. Otherwise I go nuts being in the house all day.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When I'm writing at home, as I am this week, and not in the clinic, I either get up and take a walk outside 3 or 4 times a day or do something light like a mile "walk" on YouTube with Leslie Sansone if I'm short on time or it's miserable outside. These aren't my daily workouts. They just help keep the blood flowing while I'm computer bound.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Also, this may sound crazy, but sometimes when I have to read something long I print it out and read it while walking on the treadmill. It's not a workout, just an easy stroll that's better than sitting on my butt.