Exercises you can do at home?

Options
On days you are at home with the kids or just can't get to the gym what exercises besides walking can you do at home? A friend suggested I get some workout videos or a workout program but I don't know of any good ones. Any suggestions? I'd like to burn as many cals as possible on the days I'm stuck at home.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Try Fitness Blender, Blogilates or BeFit. (All online/YouTube.) Throw on some music and dance with the kids. Do HIIT rounds of burpees, squats, push-ups, planks, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Beachbody workouts (Insanity, Turbo Fire, P90X, etc.) are real calorie burners. They are kind of pricey but include a lot of workouts, so the price per workout isn't much. Jillian Michaels workouts are pretty popular, but I've never tried them.

If you have Netflix they offer workouts and there are a plethera to be found on YouTube. I quick internet search will also yeild hundreds of exercises that can be done at home. Calisthenics burn a lot of calories. Or you could get a jump rope.

If you have a game system, there are workout games you can buy. Many are pretty fun to do with children. My grandsons love the Just Dance games.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I originally bought my wii system for Just Dance for a work out :) Good way to involve the kiddos too.
  • bwalker0823
    bwalker0823 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Beachbody workouts (Insanity, Turbo Fire, P90X, etc.) are real calorie burners. They are kind of pricey but include a lot of workouts, so the price per workout isn't much. Jillian Michaels workouts are pretty popular, but I've never tried them.

If you have Netflix they offer workouts and there are a plethera to be found on YouTube. I quick internet search will also yeild hundreds of exercises that can be done at home. Calisthenics burn a lot of calories. Or you could get a jump rope.

If you have a game system, there are workout games you can buy. Many are pretty fun to do with children. My grandsons love the Just Dance games.

Great Post -so helpful- thanks :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    2 websites to look at workout DVDs - collagevideo.com & totalfitnessdvds.com .... these sites show video clips, give reviews, a professional staff does each workout & rates them for fitness level, impact level, choreography level, etc.

Your local library should have DVDs to try before you buy..... I know Netflix by mail has tons.....not sure about streaming (anymore)....I think that went away.

I really like Leslie Sansone Walk at Home .... this is basically low impact aerobics without choreography. You can do 1 or 2 or 3 ....whatever you have time for.... miles at a time. http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/leslie-sansones-ultimate-5-day-walk-plan-6155

10 Minute Solutions are great if you want to get in 10, 20, 30 minutes at a time. I like the pilates ones (Suzanne Bowen)...not big calorie burns like cardio, but great for firming everything up.
    http://www.collagevideo.com/searchresults.aspx?type=all&search=10+minute+solutions
  • riveroflight
    Options
    I recommend Rusty Moore's Visual Impact programs. You can use bodyweight exercises with minimal or no equipment. Comes with a great list of exercises. And, it's very effective- it's the program I mainly used to get the results you see in my profile pic. Or, I also recommend Fat Loss Factor. Best of luck.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to a gym in probably 6 years! I do body weighted moves, run, play volleyball but I also do dvds at home. I am currently doing P90X in between running and volleyball. I have gotten results with it and you can modify the moves to begin and work your way up. I've been through it twice in the past and now use my favorite workouts from it. The P90X PLYO is major calorie burner
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I echo the collagevideo.com and beachbody (disclaimer: I'm a beachbody coach who sells the videos) because home workouts have SAVED my health. I travel a lot for work too, so I take a card I made of all the different body parts and make sure I work them while I travel and I've loaded several onto my tablet to use if the hotel room has space. You could use the same technique at home. If you search " "body weight resistance" exercise" you'll get all kinds of lists and some videos.