Newbie needing Advice on Back Injuries

Options
2»

Replies

• momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi! You can add me!

I had L5 S1 back surgery in 2008. I only push myself as far as I can go, I sometimes have trouble in group exercise classes because they move so fast that I'm afraid just the slightest movement will bring back that excrutiating back pain than landed me in the surgery. You just have to go at your own pace at all you do. I must say spinning seems to be what works for me now.

Just whatever you do: don't stop moving! Keeping active definately helps me! Good luck!!
  • misskylz
    Options
    Yes I agree, I know how weak my back is and I definitely need to strengthen my core to support by back before I try doing anything that I know I physically cannot do at the moment. It gives me something to work towards though :-)

I feel like you didn't read the story. This guy had to pretty much shattered legs, and was told he'd never stand again. He now deadlifts 500lbs.

In your situation, I'd start with RDL, as deep as you can, using a broomstick. Once your form is perfect, force yourself to go 1cm deeper every time (which would be every other day). Once your form is perfect at depth, I'd switch to regular deadlifts, using a broomstick supported to the correct height, and then start adding weight. Probably 500 grams at a time, again, every other day.

The body responds to progressive loading.

Up to you of course.

No sorry, I hadn't read the story, I'm at work and had the Boss looking over my shoulder, lol. I have now though, and can see how it helped him. Thanks for the advice :-)
  • misskylz
    Options
    I have added you, thanks heaps :-)
  • irishjune
    irishjune Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also have a long story of an accident, spinal surgeries, re-injuries, & chronic pain. Lack of mobility and lots of meds contributed to extra weight gain, which only made things worse. But I am doing much, much better these days!! I'm working hard to drop more weight and, with great care, am able to really work out again. Sending you a friend request...
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Walking is what saved me. I have L4 L5 & S1 discs all stuffed. I no longer take painkillers cause I spend all day walking. I had one Dr tell me that losing weight would help & then another go "well I never think that losing weight helps" that one was a fat Dr & the 1st one was skinny... I dunno...just a guess. All I know is losing weight did nothing for the pain. It's constant moving that helped & still helps.

Oh and it's that good I can run 10km easily. Do Zumba, I can dance as well. But lift weight .......no way. Extra weight on my back is not what it likes or needs,

Do what you think you can. Lose weight if you must for healthier reasons, cause it's not going to do crap for pain. But exercise will help it more than you think. Worst thing for back pain is being still... at least for me. If I sit for more than 5 mins a day...I can move right for a week.
  • mom2jj
    mom2jj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had a car accident in 08 and for 2 years tried all sorts of therapies to relieve my back pain. Finally I found a doctor who didn't believe it was in my head (my xrays were inconclusive). He performed a double fusion on me - L5, L6. It was a while to recover but I have had no pain for a long time now. The key for me is to do ab strengthening exercises. I do the ones they gave me in PT after surgery. I also have discovered that routine massages (not just the feel good, kind but deep tissue) have helped me a lot. I find I am not in pain when I do something to my back I shouldn't have because of the massages. I know if I lose more weight that would help too. When I do exercise tapes now I do what I know I can do and modify the rest. You can do this!
  • Catman50
    Catman50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like the theory, but considering I can't even bend to tie my shoes or lift a washing basket off the floor, I do not like my chances of being able to deadlift. I used too before my injury, but I cannot bend at all without supporting my upper body weight by putting my hands on my knees then sitting down to be able to pick anything up off the ground

I know where ya coming from as this has been my life off and on also. Fed up of Doctors that didn't want to help or only give me pain killers and told to go away I recently decided to do something about it.

I changed my diet and found this website page.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson92.htm

I started at home using this website doing whatever exercises I could as often as I could. Then as Improved I started to add press-ups. I couldn't do 1 to start with as I couldn't lay prone in the press-up position as it hurt my back too much. I started kneeling and just used my top half. As I improved I started full press-ups..

I don't think healthy people with good backs realise just how debilitating a back injury is. I had a very very active life before hand & I certainly took it for granted.
    Start slow and do what you can. Persevere and things should hopefully improve.

I just did these home exercises & I started using this web site to track my diet. Then as I improved I joined a gym. Im on my 3rd week and im loving it. Had a slight blip for a few days where I over did it and went back on the painkillers. But ive learnt from that and im back in the gym again feeling 1000 time happier than I was 3 months ago.

I hope this website can help you as it did me or if it doesn't then I hope you find something that works for you!!
    Living in constant pain really really sucks.

Feel free to add me if ya wish.

Oh I nearly forgot. Over these months where I was trying to improve I left the car at home and walked as much as possible into town, to the shops etc. I just tried to spend less time on the sofa and being active. Even if that's starting small and walking around the house or to the end of the road etc
    Good luck!
  • Catman50
    Catman50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify by this website I mean the link I put in. Its a webpage with a load of exercises and stretches for your back basically :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson92.htm

Myfitnesspal.com is helping too but that just sorting out my diet and helping me to eat cleaner.
    Just start with whatever stretches you can manage and build up from there.
  • misskylz
    Options
    Walking is what saved me. I have L4 L5 & S1 discs all stuffed. I no longer take painkillers cause I spend all day walking. I had one Dr tell me that losing weight would help & then another go "well I never think that losing weight helps" that one was a fat Dr & the 1st one was skinny... I dunno...just a guess. All I know is losing weight did nothing for the pain. It's constant moving that helped & still helps.

Oh and it's that good I can run 10km easily. Do Zumba, I can dance as well. But lift weight .......no way. Extra weight on my back is not what it likes or needs,

Do what you think you can. Lose weight if you must for healthier reasons, cause it's not going to do crap for pain. But exercise will help it more than you think. Worst thing for back pain is being still... at least for me. If I sit for more than 5 mins a day...I can move right for a week.

Yes I definitely need to move more! I work in an office, so sit on my butt for 9 hours a day and it is the worlds worst thing for my back and the pain. I find swimming eases the pain a little and helps with my movement, but I definitely need to make the time to walk more!
This discussion has been closed.