Looking for the 5 - 10 Minute a Day Exercise for the Obese

Options
I have a nice workout mat at home and a big living room to do it in. I want to start exercising. I don;t want to spend 30 minutes exercising. I don't mind some high intensity, but being obese, I need to be careful.

Does anyone know of a site with pictures and diagrams for a 5 or 10 minute Yoga like workout that will be high intensity enough to burn after you are done, but simple enough that obese people can do it with no equipment?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com might be a place to start. There's a ton of super high intensity stuff, but I know they have lower impact videos as well as shorter videos. And a search feature. Blogilates.com is good, too, Cassey is incredibly perky, though, so if that's not your cup of tea, you might not like her.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Get your diet under control-weight loss/maintaince is a function of diet- not exercise. Oh and walk.

those are two of the best things you can do for yourself.
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I dont know anything about yoga but make walking your best friend! You will never regret it :)
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    a yoga-like work-out for 10 minutes isn't going to give you that much of a burn probably - my yoga for an hour burns about 200 calories...

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/?_r=0 I came across this, that seemed good for overall fitness

or fitnessblender has a bunch of short work-out videos that you could choose from, with high intensity options
  • jrfarms88
    jrfarms88 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is what I started with in Dec of last year 10 mins a day and worked my way up to 30 mins a day. no equipment is needed and lost 35lbs with the plan

Tony Horton's 10-Minute Trainer®
    Think you don't have time to get fit? Think again! Tony's breakthrough Super Stacking Technique™ is like multitasking for your muscles. Give him 10 minutes, he'll give you results.
  • Routerninja
    Options
    I started at 602 pounds so here is my best advice aside from eat less.

Walk.

It was the one primary activity that got me down to 520 in about a year without ever touching a gym. I would leave my car at home, walk to the bus stop, the train stations, the wal-mart down the road, everywhere.

Yes, I sweat a lot, and it sucked, but it did its job and it built my endurance and got me started on a downward trend in my weight.
  • kattjohnsonmfp
    kattjohnsonmfp Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry if this comes across as nasty, because it's not supposed to be (well, maybe "tough love")

But when you say things like " I don;t want to spend 30 minutes exercising." my initial reaction is "well, this guy is probably not going to succeed". Not because you can't lose weight without exercise, you absolutely can, as another poster said, diet is the main thing.

However, 30 minutes is 2% of your day, I'm *sure* you can find time to fit this in, saying you don't want to spend this time gives the impression (and I am sorry if this is wrong) that you are not willing to commit to a lifestyle change.

I'd echo what the other person said about walking, it's low impact on your joints. It may be really tough to start with, but it will get so much easier so quickly.

If you are interested in doing yoga, and want to get something intense in, I'd suggest taking a look at DDP Yoga (or Yoga for Regular guys), take a look at this guy's success story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

Also, Diamond Dallas Page? How can you *not* love that?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have a nice workout mat at home and a big living room to do it in. I want to start exercising. I don;t want to spend 30 minutes exercising. I don't mind some high intensity, but being obese, I need to be careful.

Does anyone know of a site with pictures and diagrams for a 5 or 10 minute Yoga like workout that will be high intensity enough to burn after you are done, but simple enough that obese people can do it with no equipment?

For cardio - low impact, not choreographed.....so you can go at your own pace....look into "Walk at Home" DVDs. These are sold at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc. Netflix by mail has tons, so will your local library. These are great ....start at 5 minutes (slower pace, lower knees, tiny kicks) and work your way up. These are weather proof and only need a small space.

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/leslie-sansones-walk-this-way-5692

Here's an authorized youtube video link for walking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5SeMKN8Bus

Jessica Smith has many chair workouts (again authorized) ....http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+chair+workout&oq=jessica+smith+chair&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0l4.76296.77546.0.78999.6.4.0.2.2.0.140.468.0j4.4.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.G6d8eGdTHaE

These are stretching, cardio, and weights....should be beginner.