My 16 year old daughter

Options
She's called Charlie and she has recently been diagnosed with IJA (idiopathic juvenile arthritis). She has severe symptoms and is in a lot of pain. The joints currently affected are her back, hips, knees and feet.

She starts aggressive drug treatment on Wednesday. This will annihilate her reproductive system. She has to attend for egg extraction on Tuesday. She is not keen - she's 16 for goodness sake. Please any advice, encouragement and help appreciated.

I'm not sure where this plea for help should be placed.

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Keep your faith!! It's excrutiating for a parent to watch their child suffer (i know all about this as my twin boys suffer from Cystic Fibrosis) but you have to have faith, and hope and a good support system. Stay as strong as you can, however, let yourself be weak when you need to be. It's your weakness that will show you how strong you really are. I'll pray for your daughter and your family. If you need to talk, feel free to msg me anytime.
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'll keep her in my prayers. I've had rheumatoid arthritis for 11 years now - I was diagnosed when I was 22, just 2 months after the birth of my twins. (and had a 2 yr old to boot!) It's a long road finding the right medications - but they've come a long way. I googled IJA & it said it's the new term for the previous term Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. I've been on a lot of medications (including the shots like Enbrel, and the IV infusion drugs like Orencia - along with lots of pills. I was still able to give birth again to my almost 4 year old healthy little boy - so I'm not sure why medications would annihilate her reproductive system? (that is, if I am correct and it's the same as rheumatoid arthritis??) I've had to have one surgery to fix my ankle/foot joints that were damaged over the years - but now... I don't know if I'm in a "remission" or what - but I feel great and I'm on no medications whatsoever. I still get achy with changing of seasons, rainy days etc.... but NOTHING like before. Before I couldn't even walk a festival without being in a wheelchair. Just know that there is A LOT of hope out there - they've come SUCH A LONG WAY with new meds, it's amazing!! It's finding the right ones and the correct dosages that is frustrating. Everyone is different - and everyone responds to medication differently. I will most definitely keep your daughter and whole family in my prayers!! (((hugs)))
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to both of you. Firstly as a mum I know how hard it is to watch your child suffer. And then for your daughter to be facing what can be hard for a grown woman to face it really must be sooo hard. All I can say is that by doing this now she is giving herself choices in years to come. Better facing that now than what might be the alternative in 10 years time.

Hugs to both of you
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Wish there was something I could say or do to help. Not at all informed about any of this. One day at a time, right? Hugs to you.
  • jacgray
    jacgray Posts: 34
    Options
    Just wanted to say I will be thinking of you both. I wish there was something I could do or say that would help. x
  • frenchie3579
    frenchie3579 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sending hugs to you and your daughter and praying all goes well on Tuesday and Wednesday xx
  • terrym04
    Options
    I will keep you both in my prayers.