In the RED?

Options
I am ALWAYS in the RED:mad: at the end of the day with PROTEIN and sometimes FIBER. The fiber I think is ok! Is always getting too much protein bad :noway: ? I know that it builds muscle so hummmmmm:tongue: ?

Do you guys have certain columns that you seem to always end the day with in the RED:explode: ?

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    this this link to calulate your protiend level,

http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp
  • jen_ferrante
    jen_ferrante Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started, and so far my sodium is always in the red. I know I need to reduce my sodium intake already, but seeing in in print will help me challenge myself with it.
  • dlmarkley66
    Options
    I'm always in the red with protein also. I was wondering the same thing.
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    What is your carb/fat/protein ratio? A typical ratio of percentages is 50:25:25
    Extra protein is good if you are trying to build muscle. You might want to manually adjust your percentages to 50:20:30.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Many people on here go over on protein daily. It's not as bad for you as going over on some of the other things (sodium, sugar). In fact, fibre and protein are the only two that I don't mind going over daily. Protein helps you feel fuller longer and helps build muscles but if you are looking to balance your diet, the suggestions from MFP are the way to go. Higher protein diets won't necessarily help build muscle faster, you'll need some heavy duty exercise for that, and they can cause problems in people with kidney problems, but for most people they are safe. Atkins is an example of high protein, low carb diet.

Oh and with regard to fibre, as long as you're drinking loads of water to help flush things out, it's safe too. Just remember that anything in abundance means something will have to work harder and if you have issues, you'll have to cut it back.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    @Amarillo_NDN - according to that link I should be getting 81g each day, yet MFP thinks it should be only 56.

Given my increased levels of exercise recently, UMMS think's it should be closer to 99g. In either case, it's way over MFP's recommendation.

Digging around a bit, the UK Food Standards Agency would agree with MFP, as does the US Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine.

So maybe that UMMS calculator should be taken with a pinch of salt? (figuratively!)
  • seamaj01
    Options
    My Dr. has stated that because of the surgery I have had, I need to be getting 60-80 gms of protein per day. He also stated that as a woman.. it can be on the low end of that... 60.. I have a hard time getting even the 60. MFP states that I should do 51gms of protein.. I am in the red on my GOOD days of getting protein. I am sticking with the dr recommended amount due to my case. Just drink plenty of water!!! I am also having to take 2000mg of calcium citrate and vitamin D along with a flintstone chewable every day. Again.. having to drink plenty of water.. don't want to end up with kidney stones!
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb for protein is to take your weight in pounds. For a super omg I want to be the next Arnold you want to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of weight. More active people should do about .75 g/lb and regular people who are just trying to keep on top of eating should generally do about .5 g/lb. For me, I'm ~140 and I try to eat upwards of 70 grams of protein a day.

You can almost never have too much fiber. Eat as much as you can and your body will be so kind as to let you know when you've had enough haha