A PERSONAL TRAINER, ARE THEY NECESARRY??

Options
Do you have or have ever worked with a personal trainer? If you have, did you wait until you started to drop some weight, or did you get one at the very beginning of your journey? Were your results what you expected? Im considering one

Replies

• 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Necessary? NO Desireable? YES!
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Are they necessary? No. I used one at my gym. She was a real ball buster as it were. It was a nice change up from the treadmill/elliptical/bike/ weight machines. She liked to do intervals and movies that would both raise my heart rate and use weights like kettlebell squat lifts and other assorted torture. I employed her after a few months of going to the gym. Although I was half-assing the diet component at the time - not really logging calories. I gained a lot of strength and my endurance went way up. If at the time I were really watching my calories like I am now I know I would have lost more weight. Also it was nice that she had lost weight herself -over 50 lbs. It was nice to see someone who was a before as an after and still maintaining that weight loss.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    They aren't necessary.... but if you're uncomfortable with the equipment, and you want someone to possibly help set you up with a program, then sure.

I personally HAVE had one before, and he was good. But some do the weirdest *kitten* -- :huh:
  • jgear13
    jgear13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started with a trainer right from the beginning and I got great results. In only 3 months I had lost about 7% body fat and 11+ inches and I think around 15 pound. I tried to do it on my own for the next 3 months and I lost another inch or two and another 3 pounds, but mostly had stalled out so I went back to personal training again. In the first month I lost another 2 inches and I can tell I am getting much stronger and faster. My weight loss has slowed mainly because I am very close to my goal and so now I am packing on more muscle. I picked a new trainer the 2nd time because I didn't feel the first trainer was a good fit for me. I love working with my new trainer and he keeps me motivated to really stick with it. Every session is a challenge, but I actually really look forward to them now because I get such a great workout in. I am also learning a lot along the way.

I would recommend checking around for different rates and even interview a few trainers to see which one you feel most comfortable with and get along with. Also, be sure to find out what certifications they have and what their background is etc. Each trainer is different. Hiring a personal trainer can be expensive, but for me it really helped me reach my goal faster than on my own and I feel it has helped me to make fitness and nutrition part of my lifestyle instead of just a passing phase. Good luck!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but they certainly are annoying! In spite of the fact that I told her I may consider it when I work out my schedule in the future, the one from my gym calls my mother and bugs the crap out of her when she can't reach me. I only put my mother's number down as an emergency contact for the gym. I asked her to please stop because my mom will eventually curse her out, and it's like it went in one ear and out the other.
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I used a personal trainer a couple years back, a male who was a former wrestler in college. It was a useful experience because I learned new exercises and became familiar with new equipment as far a resistance/weight training is concerned.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    it helps me a lot. you need to find the one that is right for you - but a great source of motivation, support, answers to all kinds of questions, I have fewer aches and pains, improved posture etc. there is no way I would be doing anywhere near the kind of exercise I do with my trainer on my own.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I have worked with PTs before...there are good ones and there are bad ones. I schedule some time with one when I hit fitness plateaus or when I'm trying to achieve some new fitness goals but I'm not quite sure how to get there on my own. I don't train with one regularly and don't think it's really necessary unless you are an individual who lacks the ability to really push yourself and/or don't really know your way around the gym.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Completely necessary.

You need someone to pace you, to tell you what exercises are appropriate.

You need someone to push you, but not to push you too far.

You need someone to hold you accountable. Someone who will count your reps for you.

You need someone who you can show to your mates. Someone who you are paying for.

You need someone who knows all the exercises. Someone who has done all the Googling for you.

The only thing you lack, the only thing that will make your life sublime, is the lackey who will do all the exercise for you.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I had a PT for the first 2 months. He definately helped me to move forward by not only providing information but pushing me to go past my comfort zone. If it wasn't for him I would be lifting only 10lbs. It was helpful to have a go to person to discuss the information I was finding on my own...either to debunk it or encourage it. I plan on meeting up with him once in awhile to touch base and tune up my workouts.

If you do plan on getting a PT, please find a qualified person. There are so many 'quacks' out there it is kind of scary. Also don't sign up for a long period of time initially. I think it takes a couple of weeks to see if you and the PT are a good fit.
  • shabrick00
    shabrick00 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This guy told me that I need to give him 2 1/2 months t train me
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    This guy told me that I need to give him 2 1/2 months t train me

I'm sure he did.

You can pay for as long as you like, should you choose to use them. You shouldn't be required to do a specific number of sessions, and if he's trying to make you do more, I'd tell him to stuff it :wink:
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've had a PT on and off. I found that mine was most useful toward the end of my goal, when I was really working on that last 5 lbs and getting my fat% down. I did about an hour of lifting with her and did my cardio on my own.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For me, at this point in my personal "journey" (that sounds so f'in lame), it's necessary. I got my trainer 7 weeks ago. I really don't think I could have kept it up without her. She keeps my workouts interesting and challenging, she checks my food diary and keeps me accountable for what I eat and she is incredibly motivating. If I have a day where I don't want to work out, or I want to eat everything in sight, I think to myself, "What would Kathy think?" I want her to be proud of me, so it keeps me from slacking off!
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Mine were because my trainer encouraged me and pushed me to go past limits I didn't think I could reach. Ryan was the reason I was able to finish my first marathon and many after that and still just thinking about his advice keeps me pushing to reach goals. I recently did my first TRI and the first person I texted??? Ryan . He lives in another state now but he is the reason I have the drive I have to succeed.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No thanks... I like working out on my own.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Necessary....no; useful (a good one).....yes

A good trainer can help you tailor a program to reach your goals and some people need the push.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    no
    no
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    As others have said, my trainer is not necessary but he is quite useful.

I have been working out with him for about 10 months and have made major progress toward my fitness goals. I workout with him 3-4 days a week and these are appointments to me so I will leave work early (and make up my time later) or wake up at the *kitten* crack of dawn to workout with him. I do this because if I dont, I will be right back where I was. I am not ready to go on my own and keep losing what I want to lose.

So maybe he is a necessity for me...

PS... the costs for my trainer are far lower than average and it makes it affordable for me to have him. I
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Do you have or have ever worked with a personal trainer? If you have, did you wait until you started to drop some weight, or did you get one at the very beginning of your journey? Were your results what you expected? Im considering one

I worked with a trainer for MONTHS, and I LOVED it. If I could afford it, I would still be doing it.

There was one particular trainer who always worked during the time I was at the gym. I watched Justin work with clients, especially female clients, for months. I wanted to see what kind of workout he had them do, and the way he interacted with them. I was his client 2x a week from mid february to mid April ( he moved out of state in April). He was my biggest champion, and believed in me even when *I* didn't believe in me. I would trust him with my life.

When Justin left, he suggested I work with his replacement, Brian. Brian has a different style, but he is still everything I would like in a trainer. He kicks my butt, manages to talk me into doing things I HATE ( but end up loving). I have had other gym members come up to me and tell me he trains me like a man ( he does), and others tell me I look skinnier every time they see me.

One thing that I was afraid of when I thought about hiring a trainer, was having one who would yell at me and insult me/degrade me to try and push me to work harder. Justin and Brian are NOT like that. They have never raised their voice to me, never insulted me.

the results I got from "my boys" speak for themselves. There is only about a 3lb difference between the first picture and the last. The first picture is in February, a week after I started working with Justin. The middle picture is mid April, 2 weeks after I stopped working with Justin, and 2 weeks before I started working with Brian. The picture on the right is last month. 2 months after I stopped working with Brian ( but I still follow workouts he wrote while we did work together)

9799221974_4ccc67c1f0.jpg
    2/13, 4/13, 9/13 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr