Calorie Range ?

Options
I'm new here and got a calorie allotment of 1200 cals. I came over from another website that have me a range of 1200-1550 to Reach my goal weight. When I was on that site I tended to stick to the high end. Why is MFP set so low and should I adjust for maybe somewhere in the middle? When I eat only 1200 I feel like I am starving!

Thanks!

Replies

• Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Because you let MFP decide you calories. MFP tells everyone that they need to eat 1200/day... this is wrong.

14xBodyweight for women is a good starting point to maintain weight - 12 x bodyweight is a good place to start healthy weight loss.
    I'm new here and got a calorie allotment of 1200 cals. I came over from another website that have me a range of 1200-1550 to Reach my goal weight. When I was on that site I tended to stick to the high end. Why is MFP set so low and should I adjust for maybe somewhere in the middle? When I eat only 1200 I feel like I am starving!

Thanks!
  • nellagirl11
    nellagirl11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've heard that MFP allots that for most people, which is one reason I hesitated to move over.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Yep, it does...

I'd calculate your BMR and not eat below that... you can make all your settings yourself :)
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You can also mess with how many pounds per week you want to lose. The lower the number, the higher the calories.

Also, there are a lot of tips around here on what foods to eat that will make you full and are also healthy and low calorie. For example, the lunch I packed today was probably more food than what I used to eat, filled me up, and was only 310 calories total.

I forgot to add that when I first start on a diet, my body would trick me into thinking I was hungrier than I was because it was used to consuming a larger volume.
  • nellagirl11
    nellagirl11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I calculated my BMR and am going by that!
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I calculated my BMR and am going by that!

I'd suggest calculating your TDEE as well, and eating at 10-20% below that, not eating back your exercise calories. BMR should be your safety number, what NOT to go below.