A guy I know....

Options
2»

Replies

• weaving2fast
    weaving2fast Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think I'm severely limiting my calorie intake so I can understand both sides. Just congratulate him and move on. He obviously felt the drastic measures were needed. It's certainly not sustainable long term but just wish him the best and move on.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I feel like that is not a reasonable amount to lose in that time frame. Sounds like he's setting himself up to 'fall off the wagon' and start over eating. That's what happened to me last year. I lost 45 pounds and then gave in to the junk food and gained back 20.

This to has happened to me as well. Its the reason fad diets and pills do not work. I like the idea now that, it took a lot longer to put that weight on it should take a long time to get it off. Its fat, not oil. Its not suppose to slip off. You are far better off than he. YOU keep working at it the right way.
  • getlost13
    Options
    I lost 55lbs last year.through a lot of exercise, and eating well. I probably only ate 1500 calories a day. I have gained almost 30lbs back, but I knew I was over eating. Pizza Casserole, ice cream, cookies. I moved in with my girlfriend basically, and gained a bunch of weight. I know what I did. I saw what I was doing. I lost a couple holes in my new belt (needed the new one because the old one was huge, and a mess with DIY holes.) I am back on the horse. I am down 15lbs over the last two months, but have started counting calories, carbs, and exercising again. This time it's for real.

If you are concerned about your buddy you need to tell him. Then again that's what I would want, but I have really thick skin and can take criticism. Noone said anything to me when I started putting weight back on until the guy who let me borrow his Insanity videos ran into me, and told me so. Yeah wake up call. I wish someone had said when it looked like I put 5 or 10 back on, "Hey dude you're getting fat again."

All that and I ordered a new jacket near the end of last winter, and now I look like the stay puft marshmellow man in it with it zipped up. Can't have that.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you did the right thing.

If you see him again in a year or so and he's back to his starting weight whereas you've kept the weight off, then you can point out where he went wrong and give him some helpful advice.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've got thick skin too but I know not everyone has so its probably better to have not said anything!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you did the right thing.

If you see him again in a year or so and he's back to his starting weight whereas you've kept the weight off, then you can point out where he went wrong and give him some helpful advice.

Well right now it'd appear he's on 1200 a day at around 240lb. I don't think anyone would say that's enough? Surely?

Everyone's different we know that but once he starts upping I don't see how he can maintain I think he'll put it back on. Maybe I'm wrong but ill have to wait and see.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I feel like that is not a reasonable amount to lose in that time frame. Sounds like he's setting himself up to 'fall off the wagon' and start over eating. That's what happened to me last year. I lost 45 pounds and then gave in to the junk food and gained back 20.

This to has happened to me as well. Its the reason fad diets and pills do not work. I like the idea now that, it took a lot longer to put that weight on it should take a long time to get it off. Its fat, not oil. Its not suppose to slip off. You are far better off than he. YOU keep working at it the right way.

You have absolutely no idea what is right for the man in question, or whether the OP is "far better off" than he is.

These are platitudes slow weight losers repeat over and over again in order to make themselves feel better. Fine, believe whatever it is that you need to keep you on the journey. But you have absolutely no idea what's going to happen with this man, and shock of all shocks, some fast losers do keep the weight off while plenty of slow losers gain the weight back fast.

It takes all kinds.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

You have absolutely no idea what is right for the man in question, or whether the OP is "far better off" than he is.

These are platitudes slow weight losers repeat over and over again in order to make themselves feel better. Fine, believe whatever it is that you need to keep you on the journey. But you have absolutely no idea what's going to happen with this man, and shock of all shocks, some fast losers do keep the weight off while plenty of slow losers gain the weight back fast.

It takes all kinds.

With statements like that, you're going to get your MFP card pulled.

MembershipCard-Trio-actionscript.jpg
  • Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Nah, you did the right thing. Congratulate and move on. If he was a close friend then maybe bring up about the calories, but you don't wanna start sounding like a hater to someone who is telling you how great they are doing losing weight. Whatever they are doing is working for them, whether it works or not in the long run, who knows.