Veggie Ideas - need some new ones

Options

Replies

• sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    wow, more & more to add to my list. these are making me HUNGRY. Thanks alot - I knew I missing a whole world of veggies, but i didn't realize there was so many.... now, if I only can find a better supermarket (LOL)
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    What about spinach? Either raw in a salad or sauteed with garlic and black pepper? I also have cut a romaine heart in half, grilled it, and served whatever protein I was having (salmon, chicken, pork, whatev) on top.
  • bonjovi27
    bonjovi27 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Lazy Man's Pasta!

(Not my creation, but still an amazing dinner :))

Throw all vegetables you can into a pot with some pasta, add a stock cube or other flavourings, or a tin of tomatoes, or both, and cook! I made mine with carrot, cauliflower, onion, bell peppers and spinach tonight. YUM!
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    try mashing carrots w/parm and little olive oil
    mix potatoes and fennel for gratin recipe on foodnetwork>barefoot contessa
    parsnips are delish mashed
    eggplant roasted or grilled w/little olive oil, salt & pepper or make into baba ghanoush
    jicama is great in salads
    radishes are lovely roasted
    salad turnips are also deliciously sweet when roasted
    mushrooms - stuffed, roasted or sauteed w/onion and garlic - finish with drizzle of balsamic vinegar
    celeriac or celery root makes a lovely salad thinly shaved and tossed w/lemon viniagrette
    I don't like beets but I LOVE when they become sliders or borscht - slider recipe on food network>guy fieri
    butternut squash roasted or made into soup
    acorn squash - cut in half, seeded then fill w/craisins, walnuts, apple chunks, brown sugar and cinnamon - bake until soft (depends on how big it is)
    delicata squash is sweet and roasts in no time
    onions roasted in foil w/olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper - SWEET
    sesame snow peas - be sure to string the peas steam 2 min dress w/sesame oil, soy sauce, and toasted sesame seeds
    minty mushy peas - food network>jamie oliver
    cheesy corn bake
    mexican corn on cob - dressed grilled or steamed corn w/olive oil, salt & cayenne or an alternate way is olive oil, salt, pepper, lime juice and crumbly cheese of your liking (queso fresco is authentic, but I prefer ricotta or goat)
    creamed corn and creamed spinach I make my own with very little half/half
    roasted pumpkin
    salad caprese w/tomatoes, basil and mozz - I could go on enlessly about salad variations
    green beans almondine
    haricot verts w/shallots and garlic
    sprouts are lovely in salads and on sandwiches
    raddichio is wonderful roasted and drizzled w/viniagrette
    cucumber boats - peel and seed cuke lengthwise, fill w/cubes of granny smith apples, craisins and drizzle with champagne vinegar
    roasted red peppers are delish in sandwiches or use as dippers for hummus
    EAT THE RAINBOW It'S FUN
    mix a bunch of different olives with a provencal viniagrette
  • SundayGirl1989
    Options
    Mangetout is my absolute favourite vegetable! It goes great in a stir fry, with pasta and even a roast dinner.

I also love leek and cabbage medley (most stores do it in a prepacked bag ready to stick in the microwave).

My partner loves marrowfat peas but won't eat many other vegetables unless they're smothered in cheese sauce!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Zucchini is cheap and delicious.
    * Slice it up, and saute with a bit of oil, garlic, and salt. I also love adding some spicy chipotle powder for an extra kick!
    * Slice it and use it in the place of noodles, particularly in lasagna
    * Cut in half, scoop out the seeds and put pizza stuff in the "boats" and bake
    * Slice very thin, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and garlic. Broil until browned for chips
    * Slice, toss in italian dressing (fat free works too) and grill

I will make a huge batch of sliced zucchini and carrots, put in small and large baggies and freeze. Then I can pull out a big one for dinner or a small one to add to a can of soup (along with a baggy of chicken or steak) for a great, healthy lunch.

Eggplant
    * Great as noodles or chips just like above!

Portobello mushrooms
    * Spice and grill or use as a pizza "crust" delicious!

Spinach adds well to any egg or pasta dish

Spaghetti squash
    * Use in place of spaghetti noodles
    * Fry and use in place of hashbrowns.
    * Use in patties. I add tuna/salmon, an egg or some greek yogurt, feta and cheddar, and spices. OMG! Way low calorie and so delicious.
  • pboveejo
    Options
    WOW; thanks for some really great ideas.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    celery with peanut butter
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    love eggs but what's a courgette? time to google :)

summer squash (zucchini)
  • Buckeyegirlbritt
    Options
    We like to eat beets and kale. In the Fall and Winter, we like to have butternut squash soup as a meal.
  • healthymissfit
    healthymissfit Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    i LooOoOove going to my local grocery store (luckily, my fiance works there too!) and asking the produce guys all about the different fruits and veggies theyve got going on and what i can use them for.
    i'm intrigued by squash, next on my list to try (google it, there's TONS of fun stuff to do!)
    but my go-to when it seems we've exhausted all other options is to sautee a bunch of different veggies as a side. i throw in:

colorful bell peppers (i LOVE yellow!)
    red onions
    fresh jalapenos (we lovelovelove spicy)
    a little celery
    some carrots
    tomatoes
    and whatever my random veggie of the week was!

i just garnish with a little garlic salt and oregano. DELISHHH
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Mangetout is my absolute favourite vegetable! It goes great in a stir fry, with pasta and even a roast dinner.

I also love leek and cabbage medley (most stores do it in a prepacked bag ready to stick in the microwave).

My partner loves marrowfat peas but won't eat many other vegetables unless they're smothered in cheese sauce!

I had to look up both mangetout and marrowfat peas, as they go by different names in the U.S. Still not sure on the marrowfat peas, other than that they are more mature peas. Are they dried? Do you have to soak them like dried beas, or do they cook without soaking like lentils? (I love mushy peas, and wikipedia tells me the marrowfat peas are used for that, so I'd love to know whether I can just used dried peas, or if I have to go looking for cans in the "international" aisle of the grocery store.)
  • SundayGirl1989
    Options
    celery with peanut butter

love this!
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Why is there no squash on your list!?

Butternut, Acorn are in season, Yellow crook neck and zucchini are also delicious.

Bell pepper,
    Peas (sugar and snap for different dishes)
    Green beans
    Wax beans *yellow- green beans*
    Beets - i like the yellow and orange ones better than the red (the taste is not as strong)
    Rutabagas
    Turnips
    Parsnips
    celery root- DELICIOUS but looks weird

Buy 1 of EVERYTHING in the produce section of your grocery store, then google how to make it.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Spinach, radicchio, and/or red leaf lettuce, mixed with some "salad" veggies - onions, cucumbers, celery, carrots, peppers, tomatoes - whatever you like.

Another yummy lettuce that I haven't had in years (due to not being able to find at a reasonable price) is Boston lettuce. Mix some sugar, vinegar, and oil, then drizzle on top...yummy...
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    for the OP: you don't say how you are cooking the veggies you list in your OP, but if you haven't tried it, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, and asparagus all take great to roasting -- especially cauliflower -- it really brings a nuttiness to it. (And if you don't do much roasting, there's also the more traditional litany of roasted veg, such as beets, turnips, carrots, onions, sweet potatoes, winter squash (I think that might be what are called marrow in the U.K. -- butternut, acorn, etc.) -- all good ideas as we get into fall and winter.
  • SundayGirl1989
    Options

I had to look up both mangetout and marrowfat peas, as they go by different names in the U.S. Still not sure on the marrowfat peas, other than that they are more mature peas. Are they dried? Do you have to soak them like dried beas, or do they cook without soaking like lentils? (I love mushy peas, and wikipedia tells me the marrowfat peas are used for that, so I'd love to know whether I can just used dried peas, or if I have to go looking for cans in the "international" aisle of the grocery store.)

Yeah sorry, didn't think about USA/UK differences.
    I don't really know what marrowfat peas are to be honest, all i know is i buy them tinned (the label says processed, not that i know what that means either) . They have a small amount of juice in them but not much and you can microwave them for a minute or so.
    Sorry i can't be more helpful!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Get a Nutra Bullet and go nuts !
  • pastamomma
    pastamomma Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • newfiecandy4
    newfiecandy4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We eat mushy peas where I am from in Canada as well. They are left in the pod until they are older, allowing them to be larger and to dry out a little. From my experience the peas require over night soaking before cooking, so maybe that's the "processing" part on the tin. They have a much drier texture than regular peas do, so your mushy peas would be different.