Question Re: Fasting

Options
BrandNewLaura
BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
Okay, so I am pretty new to MyFitnessPal, and I have a question about fasting. Is it okay to fast for a day, eating minimal calories and drinking lots of water? Or will that put me into starvation mode and make further weight loss much more difficult than it already is?

My family and I are going on a mini-vacation tomorrow, and while I don't want to pig out or anything like that, I would like to be able to have a guilt-free splurge, and I was wondering if fasting today would "bank" those calories for tomorrow or would do me more harm than good. Anyone know? Thanks!

Replies

• BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Okay, so I am pretty new to MyFitnessPal, and I have a question about fasting. Is it okay to fast for a day, eating minimal calories and drinking lots of water? Or will that put me into starvation mode and make further weight loss much more difficult than it already is?

My family and I are going on a mini-vacation tomorrow, and while I don't want to pig out or anything like that, I would like to be able to have a guilt-free splurge, and I was wondering if fasting today would "bank" those calories for tomorrow or would do me more harm than good. Anyone know? Thanks!
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    I don't know how healthy it is, but I do it. Just dont make it a habit bc that can lead to disorders.
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do a true "fast". Sure, exercise hard today...eat real strict.....exercise hard tomorrow.....
    Good luck!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Why not cut back to healthy eating for a day and staying with your calories? If I go to low on a day for calories to be "skinny" the next day, I end up being so hungry I overeat the following day and I am back to my bad habits. So I just don't go there because I have no control. I eat light the day prior, and eat "munchies" but limit them to reasonable sizes, or on day 3 I feel angry and cave in all together. No wonder it has taken me so long to get on track!

On days I am trying to stay super light I have a light breakfast of scrambled eggs with 1 whole egg 2 egg whites. Add a fruit or orange juice to the meal.

Some nuts for snack.

Then tuna and crackers for lunch or a PB & J 1/2 sandwich with a salad.

Dinner, a big salad with whatever meat I can find to cook up or left over sliced on top with salad spray.

Then for snack a yogurt.

I bump up calories that day if needed by adding another fruit or more protein. I hope this helps.
  • AugustBaby1973
    Options
    It's not really going to thwart your dieting if you do it one time, but realize that your metabolism needs to be jump started with a good breakfast! At least eat some fruit or some oatmeal to get some nourishment to your body. If you're electing to drink all day, make sure it's not sweetened fruit juices with empty calories! Drink water, green tea with lemon and perhaps some fat free skim milk. You can get liquid nutrition, but you don't want your body to hit the starvation mode---and from what I've heard that kicks in by day 2 of not eating! Have fun on your mini trip!! :flowerforyou:

:heart: Button
  • food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    I almost always do that after a vacation or a day of splurges. I find it helps my body get rid of the ickyness haha and helps me lose the water weight from the overeating! Enjoy your vacation but don't eat everything thats put in front of you haha! Thats just my 2 cents :smile:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    In my opinion Fasting can be a useful in a religious ritual, but is a very poor weight loss idea.
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    I find that fasting (which I do admit I have done) is counter-productive for me. For one thing, I get really hungry the next day and find I will eat anything that is not moving. For another, I get really lethargic and that totally kills my desire to exercise. Plus, my family used to tell me that I was super grumpy (which I think I truly was). So, now, when I over-indulge (or suspect I might like with a vacation or a party or something), I back down on calories but don't "fast" per se. For example, I will go to my minimum of 1200, exercise but not eat my exercise calories.

Hope that helps.
  • hep632
    hep632 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Laura -

Check out this from the Yahoo! Health Blog -- it quotes some scientific studies about fasting.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/lose-10-pounds-in-10-days-202243/

My strategy this year was to book a vacation that will make me burn more calories than I could possibly consume, so on Monday I leave for Turkey and eight days of sea kayaking. Hopefully I can eat lots of fresh fruit and veg, with a daily dose of lots of Turkish honey, coffee, and yummy buns!

Good luck!

-Holly
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    The purpose of fasting is NOT to lose weight. The hunger from a fast is intended as a reminder to meditate and pray about something important. I have fasted and while it was worth it for the focus it gave me; it was NOT good for my metabolism. If you're considering it for dietary reasons, stick with eating adequate portions of healthy food and get in some extra exercise. :smile:
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Why be miserable today in hopes of overeating and being miserable tomorrow?

Fasting for one day isn't going to hurt you, but overeating for one day isn't going to hurt you either. Why not eat healthy today, enjoy tomorrow, and get right back on track the next day?
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    hmmm I guess fasting really wasn't the best word choice for what I actually intended to do...I should have described it better...I just wanted to cut back significantly on my calories today (I am supposed to have 1760 before exercise and was thinking I'd try to eat around 1000 or 1200). Sorry for the confusion. I do appreciate all the feedback though...I knew I'd get a lot of well-thought out answers. Thanks again!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Okay, there are 3500 calories in a pound, so for one day if you were to go from 1700 calories to 1200 that is a 500 calorie defict. So you would lose 1/5 of a pound.

I find that I am more prone to go off the program and binge if I go too low on my calories. I think it would be much easier to do 500 calories of exercise. But it's your weight loss journey and you have to do what works for you. I wouldn't recommend going that low for more than a day as your body may consider that you are starving and slow down your metabolism.
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Thanks again for all the responses. Just wanted to let you all know how it worked out. I ended up eating about 1400 calories yesterday, which (after my exercise calories were added in) was about 800 calories short for the day. Today my family and I went on our little mini-trip, and I went over my calories as I was expecting to. I watched my portions today and ate about half of what I typically would in my pre-diet days, but of course the foods I was eating were not the healthiest items ever. I enjoyed the day though, and for the first time thought of the day as more than just food. Tomorrow it is back to the plan though. Thanks for checking in!