• LCBinGA
    LCBinGA Posts: 102 Member
    or you could use
    Ingredients

3 cups self-rising flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    12 ounces beer (use a favorite brand)
    Pam spray butter flavor
    options: 1 tablespoon your favorite herbs -or- 1/2 cup cheese -or- 1 tablespoon cinnamon,
    Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Butter a loaf pan and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and beer and mix well. The mixture should be sticky. Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes. At the last 3 minutes of baking, remove from oven, spray the top of the loaf with butter spray generously and return to oven.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    I wanted to come back and say, this was SO easy and SO worth it. I made my dough Tuesday about 1 p.m. and let it sit until about 5:30 yesterday for a total of about 16 1/2 hours. I then used the folding method as per the breadtopia link below, letting it proof for another 15 minutes. I ended up using my crockpot ceramic insert, as it was the biggest heat-safe pot I had with a lid. Same baking method: pre-heating the pot at 450, baking covered for 30, then uncovered for 15. The apartment smelled ah-mazzzing, by the way. Love that fresh bread smell. The only issue I had was the bread sticking a bit to the bottom of the pot. Next time, I'll be using parchment paper. Other than that, it turned out gorgeous with a great taste to boot. Already a hit with the hubby! I can't wait to try some other flavor variations :).

Link to breadtopia (they have some great variations and other dough recipes as well): http://www.breadtopia.com/basic-no-knead-method/

And a pic, because I honestly can't believe how pretty it turned out!

2crk279.jpg
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Bumped
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Bumping this so I can start it tonight after work. I want to serve it with my white chicken chili tomorrow.
  • annabellep1
    annabellep1 Posts: 36 Member
    Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!
    I made mine with whole garlic cloves, fresh basil from our garden and mozzarella cheese. Let it sit for a little over 24 hours, then baked it today as a side to some home made creamy tomato basil soup. It was a HIT :)

That is awesome!
  • annabellep1
    annabellep1 Posts: 36 Member
    I wanted to come back and say, this was SO easy and SO worth it. I made my dough Tuesday about 1 p.m. and let it sit until about 5:30 yesterday for a total of about 16 1/2 hours. I then used the folding method as per the breadtopia link below, letting it proof for another 15 minutes. I ended up using my crockpot ceramic insert, as it was the biggest heat-safe pot I had with a lid. Same baking method: pre-heating the pot at 450, baking covered for 30, then uncovered for 15. The apartment smelled ah-mazzzing, by the way. Love that fresh bread smell. The only issue I had was the bread sticking a bit to the bottom of the pot. Next time, I'll be using parchment paper. Other than that, it turned out gorgeous with a great taste to boot. Already a hit with the hubby! I can't wait to try some other flavor variations :).

Link to breadtopia (they have some great variations and other dough recipes as well): http://www.breadtopia.com/basic-no-knead-method/

2crk279.jpg

That is a gorgeous loaf. Looks so yummy!
  • shargolf
    shargolf Posts: 12 Member
    I Did make some adjustments and it turned out just great. I added 2 extra TB. of flour per cup and 2 extra TB. of water per cup. I also found that with my oven I needed to bake it just a few extra min . to get it to be as brown as I wanted. Also to answer the Questions about what kind of pot--- I used my old " Princess House" cookware which is ceramic.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    This is really easy and possibly idiot proof!! I mixed the dough up on a Saturday morning. Then when I went to bake it the next day it seemed too wet. I then realized I only put half of the flour. So I figured I would add the rest of the flour mix it some and let it sit for another 3 hours or so. I baked it 3 hours later in a pyrex dish fully expecting it would not work but it turned out great!
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member

2crk279.jpg

That is a gorgeous loaf. Looks so yummy!

that does look good! I still haven't tried this yet, been busy but next payday i will definitely go grocery shopping & pick up all the ingredients
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    bump for homemade bread! Nice pic!
  • youngmommy2
    youngmommy2 Posts: 71 Member
    bump!
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    This bread is the best! I've made it with one c. flour substituted with ancient grains flour, or a whole wheat flour, and it's great. I've made it with roasted garlic cloves and fresh rosemary... also great! The possibilities are endless!

Also, the King Arthur Flour website has a bunch of no knead recipes that I haven't tried yet, that look great. I'm looking forward to trying the rye :)
  • marissabakescakes
    marissabakescakes Posts: 35 Member
    BUMP
  • chilicoco
    chilicoco Posts: 22 Member
    bump
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Definite bump from me!:)
  • kkooge
    kkooge Posts: 70 Member
    bump
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    mmmmmmmmm
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 843 Member
    If i don't have a oven safe cooking vessel with a lid, can i just use a double thick aluminum foil lid? or just flip another similar size container on top ( of course I would need to be extra careful moving things around as the "lid" wouldn't be secured in any way)? or a regular plate (I have Correlle dishes)? or a cookie sheet? Any one have other ideas?
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    I've got one waiting to be baked when I get home. Ive swapped out some of the flour for rolled oats that I've food processed a bit, and I've added some mozzarella cheese and bacon sprinkles. Can't wait to see how it goes.
  • WEBAyahoo
    WEBAyahoo Posts: 39
    BUMP
  • Kiwi_Odette
    Kiwi_Odette Posts: 16 Member
    Bumpity Bump
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    This is not new, it's from a 2006 New York Times video by Mark Bittman,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

... Or search "new york times bread" or "making no-knead bread Mark Bittman" on youtube.

Voila, there's your stream of pictures.

I have done it with a ceramic pot, not having a cast-iron one, until I noticed that the ceramic one was starting to fracture. That's because you heat it up so hot and then throw the reelatively cool dough into it.

I then stopped making this bread because a) it's white ('unhealthy') but b) more importantly, this bread is absolutely superb fresh, but it doesn't store well, when you have to store it for a while it gets a tough gummy texture.

There is a special kind of bread roll traditionally made in parts of Southern Germany (Schwaben/Swabia) using the same principle, i.e., essentially using dough that was fermented with yeast overnight and simply cutting off pieces and baking them as-is, not destroying the texture that has formed. These bread rolls (called 'Seelen') have the same property, they are very crisp when fresh and can get this rubber-like texture when a bit older.

And your point is WHAT??????? Sounds really good to me..
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Sounds like a good project for today!
  • liltarn
    liltarn Posts: 18 Member
    bump
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    I wouldn't call this artisan bread by any means, but I think it's neat.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    thank u for this simple recipe. i hope to try it next week but sadly will be eating it alone since my hubby cant eat eat it since going paleo. i hate paleo. really really hate it.

LOL this thread got bumped. I never made the bread b/c no one to appreciate it. I still hate paleo. Really really hate it.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    bump
  • str1ne
    str1ne Posts: 69 Member
    bump
  • wolf_tickets
    wolf_tickets Posts: 29 Member
    Next day: Preheat oven to 450. Put a covered pot with a lid in the oven and preheat it for 30 minutes. While pot is preheating, turn out dough onto a floured surface and shape into a round loaf. Sprinkle with flour and let rest while pot heats. Remove pot from oven and remove lid. Dump dough into ungreased pot. Secure lid on pot and put in oven. Bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take off lid and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and turn out of pot onto cooling rack immediately. Let cool at least 5 minutes before slicing. Makes about 16 moderately sized slices.

This leaves out a really important step: *the second proofing.*

You need to the dough rise after you fold it and shape into a loaf (called a boule) for at least 60 minutes to 2 hours. Otherwise your bread is going to be dense and shaped like a hockey puck and without the amazing big gas bubbles in the crumb.

The easiest way to do this is to put the boule onto a kitchen towel liberally dusted with flour or wheat bran and then cover it with another kitchen towel. It will almost double in size after two hours. Start preheating the dutch oven at 90 mins. 30 mins later remove the screaming hot dutch oven and transfer the dough into it by picking up the boule by four corners of the towel and gently inverting it into the pot. Cpver and bake for 30 mins and then take the lid off and bake for another 15 mins or so.

You'll get much better results. Here's Jim Lahey's recipe (he was the guy who came up with the recipe): http://www.sullivanstreetbakery.com/recipes