Ladies only (help?)

Options
Girls, what do you do during that ravenous time of cravings, hunger pangs, and bloating? I'm ovulating and pms is kicking my butt... I've given into the cravings (chocolate and french fries anyone?) But I'm trying to balance it out with healthier foods as well as bumping up some light cardio (mainly walking and jogging since I don't have a whole lot of energy this time of the month) What should I be aiming for? This is my first month with MFP so I've never faced this before. I'm not too worried about bloating as I know that will come with all the fluid retention and go away once everything settles but I AM very worried about gaining weight or coming off track during this time. Should I be even more careful of how I eat and be sure to stay on target. I tried to stay within calorie limits yesterday but got so ravenous that I ate 100 more calories than I should have.... Which all things considered isn't bad but I don't want to make it a habit. How do you stay on track during your time of the month?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    inb4themen
  • wannab3skinny
    Options
    Whenever I get cravings, I distract myself with another activity. Painting my nails is my favorite, because when I'm done I still have to wait for them to dry and can't eat without ruining them. If I am still hungry after that, I'll have a pickle or something to tide me over until my next planned mealtime.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stay hydrated! I ignore the scale during this TOM because I know I bloat and probably gain a few pounds. Don't beat yourself up about "cheating" - if your body is craving something, eat it!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I like tigers. Your profile picture is nice OP.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I don't allow myself to eat over my calorie limit during that time of the month, but I am more lenient about what those calories consist of. I'm a lot more likely to spend my calories on three servings of chocolate and some frozen pizza than I am during my less hormonal times. Keep track of your calories, try your best to stay under, but don't feel bad if you sacrifice a big salad for some chocolate. It happens.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First, just wanted to say that I'm really glad to see you recognize that going over 100 calories isn't the end of the world...you'd be amazed how many people freak out over such a small overage.

I just try to do my best to stay within my calorie goal and continue to exercise - but I don't worry about it too much if I have a crazy craving and it puts me over by a few hundred calories. I'd rather take care of the craving and move on with my life because for me they can get a little obsessive where I can't think of anything else. Either that or I'll end up eating everything else in the house thinking it'll satisfy me.

Water weight alone during PMS, ovulation or TOM can give you 3-5 pounds of fluctuation. If it bothers you enough, try to avoid the scale during this time. Oh and make sure you keep up with your water intake, especially if you're a salty food craver - that'll help balance out some of the water weight.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I know a thing or two about ravenous hunger. Sometimes I just give into the cravings by allowing myself a small portion of whatever it is. I can be satisfied with a square of dove dark eaten in four bites, allowing each bite to slowly melt until gone before taking another. Thats discipline! haha. Or I fill up on veggies. Or I just imagine that the cupcake I'm craving has been sitting out for a week and is so dry and tasteless that its not even worth the calories.

I will say that I never had a hunger issue or mood swing issue when I was on bc pills. It's quite an adjustment trying to get along without them.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    When I crave chocolate, usually a square of 70% (or higher) dark chocolate will satisfy the craving. I like Lindt. I don't remember how many calories are in it, but its not near as bad as say a Hersheys bar.
  • AbsyPernet
    Options
    i know the pain!!

Try to eat more proteins, drink more water and I make sure I eat good carbs, like nuts/berries/yoghurts etc..... Cut down on my sodium and that prevents water retention, before I started to eat well, I could easily put on 8 pounds at each monthly cycle. Now, it's getting much better, know your body, try different things and I'm sure you will soon feel much better and the cravings will reduced.

Good luck in your journey x
  • KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 full glasses of water which makes me full and usually helps me forget about my cravings.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I find that I do better at keeping the cravings at bay if I up my carb macro for the week before my period. Better for me to have a little mac & cheese to look forward to at dinner instead of binging on it later.

I also let myself eat a little more (up to maintenance) if it gets really bad. But I think this is one of those times where you have to play around and find what works for you.
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    See, I don't get that hunger! My tummy just hurts and tbh, I never really feel like eating. If I eat terribly though, I just burn more calories! Stick to it! The number will go up on the scale but once you're done, it'll come straight back off and then some! :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I put my big girl panties on and just deal with it!
    In all honesty, I exercise more during that time because it helps me with the cramps, and I KNOW I'm going to want to eat more than I usually do. Just plan ahead, and it'll be fine.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I fit it into my macros. I eat whatever I want.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I don't use it as an excuse for anything. It happens every month and if you excuse yourself for PMS, then excuse yourself for the actual period, that's up to 2 weeks out of the month where you could be "giving into cravings" and that's just not going to do any good.

The only thing I excuse during this time, for me, is I allow myself to have a chunk of rare beef. I know I need more iron and so I give it to myself when I need it most.

Keep to your calorie goal, and use the same tactics for cravings you would for any other time... Craving chocolate, hit up an apple. Eat healthy carbs, keep sodium low, etc etc. The water swing will be far less if you keep to the plan and not excuse poor eating.
  • atiana19
    atiana19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Be especially mindful of what your eating dont let yourself get carried away on junk or snacks, but the most important thing is to keep exercising even if you dont feel like it.That is what helps me stay on track and helps curb most of my cravings. The continued exercise is key even if your not feeling it, you will feel much better after.
  • imakeyoukneel
    imakeyoukneel Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I crave fruit on my period lol So I eat lots of fruit I also just keep working out and enjoy what ever craving I have
  • MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Target has the BEST healthy swaps for sweet and salty kicks. I just found some organic "reese's" peanut butter cups. I normally make myself work for it before I indulge and I drink hot herbal teas to counter any bloat. Especially when I fry binge o_O I just don't make a habit of it b/c I can get carried away...
  • Nimnyn
    Nimnyn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate semi-regularly anyways, I just keep it to ONLY those that are 70% or higher cocoa. They're not sweet and they have lower carbs/calories than a regular chocolate bar.

As far as eating *more* carbs during or before shark week, consider going lower instead. I'm doing low-carb/wheat-free and while normally I get wicked PMS/cramps, eating a carb restricted diet pretty much removes both of those things for me *entirely*. It's awesome, I don't know why I go back to eating crap!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I ate 100 more calories than I should have....

You're probably still at a deficit, so you will still lose weight.
    If it's that hard for you to stay under your calorie goal during your period...then try switching your settings to maintenance during that time of the month. That way you can eat more, and you'll still know that you won't gain weight.