Pregnant and obese

Options
Alright I know that your not supposed to lose weight when your pregnant, and I completly understand that, however, I feel like if I gain anymore weight I will be huge and have no chance of losing it after baby. Maybe I should give a little background. I am 6 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child and my BMI catagorizes me as obese. I would say that I am 60 lb or more over my ideal weight and I am dreading the thought of gaining 10 to 20 more pounds. I feel like as long as I dont cut calories, if I have a goal to slowly lose weight, by eating right and easy to moderate exercise that should be acceptable. I didnt lose afer my 2nd child and actually I am 15lbs more than I was at delivery with him. I dont want the cycle to continue and would perfer to nip it in the bud. Of course my first priority is my baby and if the doctor told me that I had to gain 50 lbs for it to be safe I would....I am just hoping that there is an acceptible way to lose while being pregnant. Any advice or suggestions or encouraging words would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Kristin

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Get some advice or suggestions regarding this from your doctor, not the internet.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Rather than focusing on weightloss or gain why not focus on having the healthiest possible pregnancy? Get your nutrition in line and develop healthy positive habits that you can carry on for the rest of your life.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    ^^ What both of them said
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert or a Doctor. Typically when you are pregnant and over weight, they tell you to only gain 10-15 pounds. I lost about 30 pounds while I was pregnant. Not because of dieting or calorie restrictions or anything like that. I lost the weight because I would take my pregnant self for leisurely walks around the mall every night to look at baby clothes. I also STOPPED giving my body junk. I focused more than ever in my life on giving my baby healthy fruits, vegetables, lean meats, etc. The baby loved it. I also ate treats every now and again as my cravings dictated but I avoided it other times. Talk to your Doctor again and tell him/her your concerns about the weight. I am sure you can compromise on the proper amount of weight to gain and he/she may even give you permission to loose weight. Just my humble, non-medical opinion.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Dr. Bacon checking in. I suggest you talk to your OB about this.

ETA: typo
  • Amy11108
    Options
    I have heard in some obese women their OBGYN's recommended they not gain any, or much. And I know MANY women who lose weight especially in the first trimester due to morning sickness. Not saying it is healthy, but it happens. Being pregnant does not require that you gain 30 lbs. The average woman gains 25, and that is a lot baby/amniotic fluid/placenta. I lost 20 lbs my first 2 weeks of having mine.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you're starting out overweight, the general recommendation is to gain between 15 and 25lbs, but, of course, your doctor knows best, and you really should be speaking to them.

That said, do remember that when you gain pregnancy weight, it's certainly not all fat stores. Up to 20-25lbs is going to be made up of the baby itself, the placenta and amniotic fluid, increased water retention and blood flow, and breast tissue. It's completely normal to gain that, and, honestly, necessary, and it's also the easiest weight in the world to lose.

For example, with my first child I started out only slightly overweight and gained 60lbs because I used it as an excuse to eat like an a-hole. I lost maybe 20 within the first 2-3 weeks and then gained some back instead of losing the rest (simply because I was busy and lazy). When I got pregnant with my second child I started out obese (about 90lbs over my ideal weight), but gained only 19 pounds while pregnant because I focused more on my health, and every ounce was gone within 3 weeks plus a few pounds, and I was able to start right from my pre (second) pregnancy weight to lose the rest.

Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Eat the right number of calories for a pregnant woman (ask your doctor). Don't start a new/intense workout routine but do keep moving - walking is great. Don't stress about a 15-25lb gain because it's probably not fat.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Get some advice or suggestions regarding this from your doctor, not the internet.

but sometimes doctors (or people who know some stuff) post on the internet!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    curious your doctor said 50lbs. The current recommendations are 10-15lbs for obesity. I'd ask him why he recommends so much more than what the current guidelines.

oops sorry thats not what you said. Id talk to you doctor and have them follow your CLOSELY! Goal of course is healthy baby.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

but sometimes doctors (or people who know some stuff) post on the internet!

I'd go with a head doctor first...
  • HiImJayme
    HiImJayme Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Probably best to consult with your doctor, as previous posters mentioned BUT maybe try eating at maintenance and keep up whatever exercise you currently do. As you get farther along, add in some additional calories at your doctors recommendation. That way, you are acknowledging your commitment to both yours and your babies health! Good luck to you and your family :)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Why would you edit to add a typo? Seems counterproductive...
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    curious your doctor said 50lbs. The current recommendations are 10-15lbs for obesity. I'd ask him why he recommends so much more than what the current guidelines.

oops sorry thats not what you said. Id talk to you doctor and have them follow your CLOSELY! Goal of course is healthy baby.
    I believe she was saying "IF" her doctor told her to do that, she would if it meant keeping her baby safe. i dont think her doctor actually told her to gain 50 lbs.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yes, but even if we post stuff, we don't know your personal medical history of your circumstances so our advice is generic at best. Talk to your Doctor, I promise he/she can help you come up with a plan. You will be ok and you will find a way through this. He will help you do what is best for you and the baby. Then after you have a healthy baby, come back here and work with us to get the rest of the weight off. Good luck.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Now you're telling even my fat *kitten* is supposed to gain weight while pregnant?! I really need to get on this baby thing
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

Why would you edit to add a typo? Seems counterproductive...
    Because hipster.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If you concentrate on eating healthy, and making sure that you get enough nutrients for the baby, and maybe cut back on a few snacks, you will be surprised.

Being pregnant doesn't automatically mean that you will gain a LOT of weight. Sometimes women use the excuse of 'eating for 2' and go completely crazy with treats. As long as you avoid that, you really don't have to worry about huge gains.

talk to your ob-gyn, and also get your hands on a copy of this book:

0761133267.jpg?altimages=true&width=310&quality=85&maxheight=310&lang=en&z=110942863

It's written by ob-gyn, and frequently recommended by ob-gyn's. It's easy to understand, and very helpful!
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    With this, I would talk to a doctor. If you eat at a deficit, the baby will probably be fine, but you may strain your kidneys and liver which are working double time as it is.

You may be healthy enough that this is okay, provided you are very careful with your micronutrients, but only your doctor can tell you that.

Also, losing weight after baby is actually pretty easy, if you are careful. Most of the "weight" you gain is not fat anyway. Baby, amnion, increased blood volume and swelling can account for up to 30 lbs. While breast feeding, you can eat at a slight deficit WITH DR APPROVAL and lose weight quite easily (just keep in mind, if you don't count, your increased appetite could easily have you pack on weight, happened to me). Just don't diet too aggressively or it could diminish your milk supply.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You don't need to gain any weight since you are obese. The 25lbs is if you are at a healthy weight. 15-20lbs if you are overweight. Obese, you could possibly lose a few pounds during your pregnancy.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Just concentrate on eating healthy, being active , being happy and health of the baby. You can focus on weight loss after the baby, its hardly a matter of 8 more months!