Salad/veg alternative??

Options
I am trying my best to eat healthier but i really dont enjoy eating large amounts of veg and salad etc. I just dont like it, i dont really enjoy the taste and i dont ever feel full EVER after eating a salad or something with loads of veg in, what makes me feel full is rice and potatos. Just wondering if there were any suggestions on what is a good healthy alternative if there even is one because i am constantly feeling hungry after plain veg so its sorta making me avoid them. I want to do this long term and make a real lifestyle change but im so fed up already. i want to eat things i ENJOY :(

Replies

• helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If you don't like veggies on their own, then don't eat them you'll get bored and end up giving up. Have you tried mixing veggies in with other foods like soups or stews, adding salad veggies to a sandwich/pitta/wrap or jacket potato.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    If you don't like veggies on their own, then don't eat them you'll get bored and end up giving up. Have you tried mixing veggies in with other foods like soups or stews, adding salad veggies to a sandwich/pitta/wrap or jacket potato.
    This^ Veg is much easier to eat in a soup or stew. I get tired of salads quickly.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I never feel full eating salads either.

You know why? because there's no protein or fat in them.

I eat salads when I got out- occasional- otherwise- I eat meat and veggies- sauteed zucchini is my favorite- or california blend with butter on it.

healthy is kind of an arbitrary word. Figure out your calories- and go from there. You need protien- fat and carbs.

and if you are really pressed- put your greens (I pick spinach b/c it's easy) in a smoothie and learn how to make green smoothies- people swear by kale- I think it tastes nasty- soooooooooo I don't eat it!
  • JazminGowdy
    Options
    These foods work for me: bread, spices, condiments, veggies, cheese, and/or eggs. I'll eat some of these food combos, such as for breakfast, a veggie omelet with toast and cream cheese, for lunch a veggie sandwich with hummus and miracle whip, or for dinner a peppered spinach & parmesan pasta. Bread and eggs are good for protein, and protein is what keeps you full. I wouldn't load up too much on the bread though, since it is high in calories. I hope this helps!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am trying my best to eat healthier but i really dont enjoy eating large amounts of veg and salad etc. I just dont like it, i dont really enjoy the taste and i dont ever feel full EVER after eating a salad or something with loads of veg in, what makes me feel full is rice and potatos. Just wondering if there were any suggestions on what is a good healthy alternative if there even is one because i am constantly feeling hungry after plain veg so its sorta making me avoid them. I want to do this long term and make a real lifestyle change but im so fed up already. i want to eat things i ENJOY :(

I agree with other posters ....have something with your veggies. Use full fat salad dressing or sprinkle with nuts (high fat) or add cheese or other protein source. This will give the salad staying power.

Veggies roasted in olive oil (and garlic) will have more staying power than plain carrot sticks. Dip raw veggies in hummus or a greek yogurt dressing (dry ranch seasoning is great) ...bumps up the protein.

The problem with rice & potatoes (I like both too) but the portions are so small.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If you really like rice and potatoes then why not use them as the base of your salad and add the veg from there. There are tons of rice/potato/cous cous salads out there. Find some that you like and go from there.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/salad-recipes.html
  • JamiesMummyX
    JamiesMummyX Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Have rice in your salad, and jacket potato and veggie mixed with a nice sauce together. Stews/casseroles as a PP said. Cous cous salads, but to be fair, there is nothing saying you have to eat salad or vegetables. Eat what ever you like just try keep it healthy and portion control. Nothing wrong with chicken and chips and some peas on the side!

Doesn't really matter where your calories are coming from right now, you'll find new things you like along the way and will learn more about health and such and eventually it'll just happen.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I don't often rely only on veggies for a meal. I make them 50-60% of my plate's real estate as much as possible though. And I combine them with protein and fat to keep from getting hungry later. I still eat rice and potatoes but in smaller portions as a side rather than a feature of the meal.

I would suggest drizzling nut oil, sesame oil, or really good quality EVOO over your raw/steamed veggies or salads. Fat helps you break down the nutrients in veggies and it will give you staying power.