treadmill vs elliptical

Options
MissAnjy
MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
What do you think in your opinion is more effective ?

I'm seeing people on here get INSANE burns in 45 minutes on elliptical. I have a treadmill, HOWEVER, I am by no means a "runner". My legs cramp, I don't breathe right (for whatever reason) and I just don't have the endurance to run long enough to get a productive burn out of the time i'm on it. I'm wondering if the elliptical is a better option for me?

could i get some pros/cons to the elliptical?

thanks.

Replies

• LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I cannot run on a treadmill, or anywhere actually. I've tried jogging with my husband and what not and I have the same issues. I cannot run for very long, I get cramps in my sides, I don't breathe right, and the impact hurts my knees. I do run on an elliptical though and I do it for about 25 minutes. I usually burn anywhere from 280-300 calories in that amount of time depending on how fast I wanna go that day. I would reccomend the elliptical. Its easier to do and you get a great burn. Good luck!
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The treadmill can very greatly depending on how much effort you're putting into the workout. If I just walked leisurely without really moving my arms, I'd burn about 250/hour, but if I walk 3mph and pump my arms back and forth the whole time, I'll burn 400 calories/hour which is the same amount I burn on the elliptical.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical. I bought one that cost me $500 at walmart. And honestly I don't think its much better than the cheaper ones you can get for $200. It has more options, but I have yet to use them. Maybe once I'm really fit, I will. but the standard setting works great for me, and I can burn 250 calories in just 20 min. More calories burned than when I'm jogging.
    Plus depending on how I place my feet on it, I can work different parts of my legs. like if I face feet outwards, tons innner thighs. Plus I can work my butt, if I go backwards.
    I love my elliptical, and it was a great investment.
    Takes up alot of space, but a treadmill takes up more space. and the elliptical is great in winter, since its cold outside.
  • curt656
    Options
    I much prefer the treadmill only because it forces me to keep a certain pace.
  • thefallguy
    Options
    Although it's been a very long time since I've been on either, I'd recommend the elliptical. It's a lot easier on your knees and joints. There's a lot of bouncing around on the treadmill that cause you to fatigue easy, and stress your bones and joints a lot. The elliptical has an easy flow to it, and focuses on the calories needing to be burned, getting your HR up, and working the muscles without straining the bones.
  • EverHopeful
    Options
    I have to congratulate all of you that can even get on the elliptical. I can walk on a treadmill but got an elliptical because they supposedly burn more calories. Unfortunately I don't think I have any muscles. I can only do about 5 minutes at a time and then it takes hours to recover I'm so tired. If you've had similar experiences I'd appreciate knowing if you thought you improved quickly and that helped you lose weight or if you lost the weight and then could work out on the elliptical.
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i think its best to do a variety of cardio exercises if possible. The elliptical is better on your joints for someone who has a difficult time running. If you want a better treadmill workout without running, try to increase the incline. Also a big tip that many people overlook is do not hold on to the treadmill!! Walking on an incline and not holding on will force you to work harder and burn many more calories, all without running! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I love my Ellip! My orthopedic, chiropractor and my regular doctor all said it was better for my body than trying to run. And OH how I tried to run....C25k, working with a trainer.....when I cried to the drs they asked why I HAD to run?

One trick for better core work is to use the ellip at least 15 minutes without the handles. Per my trainer friend it trains your core better. It took me months to get up to working without the handles, but my core was great when I was doing this.

Look to see if you have a Play It Again Sports in your area. You can pick up high end work out equipment for a fraction of the price:drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    i think its best to do a variety of cardio exercises if possible. The elliptical is better on your joints for someone who has a difficult time running. If you want a better treadmill workout without running, try to increase the incline. Also a big tip that many people overlook is do not hold on to the treadmill!! Walking on an incline and not holding on will force you to work harder and burn many more calories, all without running! :flowerforyou:

LOL....just read this! You said virtually the same thing as me:drinker:
  • k8ieP
    k8ieP Posts: 54
    Options
    If you would like to build endurance on the treadmill. I suggest intervals. Run at about a 6 for 2 minutes and walk at a 3.5 for 2 or 3 minutes until you feel that you have recovered then run for 2 minutes. Work toward making the running time longer than the walking.
    I had asthma so bad that I couldn't even dream of running for long but I did this and was able to run longer distances (about 5 miles). Now I have a leg injury that keeps me from running and I use the elliptical. I don't feel that I get as good of a workout on it as I did running but no longer have a choice.
    Also, as others have said mixing up your routine is a great way to shock your body and lose more.
    Just remember none of it is easy in the beginning and cramps are normal for running. You have to keep going.
    BTW, a good way to get rid of chest cramps is to raise your arms up and inhale fully and deeply and exhale. This stretches out the area and usually gets rid of cramps quickly. As for leg cramps, stretch first!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    The only way to get a work out on an elliptical is to have the resistance to at least a 5 the entire time. Any less than that and you would have done better by walking. I like using both treadmill and elliptical. You have to work super hard on it though. Plus after my 60 min work out on it my hips are hurting, so I don't think it is actually that healthy. Running is more fun and time goes by faster.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    ELLIPTICAL

Elliptical: 50 minutes, resistance 9 it says I burned 590 calories but 362 on my HRM (my HRM is a cheaper brand and other MFP'ers agree it’s quite on the low side so the real answer is probably the median, 476 calories).

Pros: great on the joints, not using the handles works your core
    Cons: using the handles can give you calices/blisters

Treadmill: 50 minutes, incline 14, speed 3.8 (+ 4 of those minutes was at a speed of 4.6, a run) burned 550 calories as per the machine, 350 as per my HRM so a median of 450.

Pros: the moving belt pushes you to stay at a certain speed
    Cons: walking on as high of an incline as I do the top of your foot/lower ankle hurts. It’s harder on the joints.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I have used both machines extensively, and I prefer the treadmill overall. I feel I get a better workout running.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    It depends on you, your body, and your goal. Elliptical is low/no impact so it is generally easier on the joints and tends to limit range of motion. It can be used to build strength set on a higher level or core when not holding on. Treadmills work fast and slow twitch muscles, and can be equally effective as a strictly cardio/fat burning tool. I run, but I do like to use the elliptical for cross training.
  • queenburgess98
    Options
    I truly enjoy my elliptical. I have had a treadmill in the past and found that my cardio was becoming very very boring and plus I am not a runner and to me walking will get you no where unless you get that heart rate up. Also, walking on an incline on the treadmill is one of the worst things that you can do to your knees. I have been told this from a few doctors and just about every trainer I have met! When it comes down to it, it's all about personal preference though. Find what works for you. When I first started on my elliptical I was lucky if I could last five minutes, now I can go 45 minutes to 90 minutes. Depending on how much energy I have that day but always the minimum of 45 minutes to burn 510 calories! I find the elliptical to be more upbeat and fun, also, easier on every part of my body!