Help!! I'm Stuck at a Plateau (Pics)

Options
So I just joined MFP to keep track of calories a little better and in the 2 weeks since I joined I lost a little over 5lbs. Since I started trying to lose weight last year I've lost somewhere around 15-20lbs. I keep yo yoing though and gaining and losing and at this point now I am stuck. Maybe it's because I need to push myself more, alter my routine, I dk. I'm tired of being stuck as far as weightloss goes. I am 5'2, 24 yrs old, and my highest weight was around 194lbs last year. My goal weight is 135lbs. Here are some pics:

December 2012-January 2013-May 2013-August 2013 [end of the month]
7643183c-0658-48df-953b-bba518455af9_zpsabb0e4bf.jpg

One Month Difference

IMG_20130902_143737_zps8ede0a89.jpg

2011 vs 2013

IMG_20130906_023514_zpsc1cae98e.jpg

Replies

• Zaii
    Zaii Posts: 29
    Options
    But as you said yourself you need to push yourself right? These are the things I do whenever my weight is plateau. BUT THIS ALSO MEANS I HAVE BEEN STRICT ON MY DIET AND WORKING OUT 5-6 DAYS A WEEK. IF YOUR NOT DOING THIS THEN THE STUFF BELOW WONT HELP YOU.

1) I drink my water, I increased to a gallon a day.
    2) Switch weight loss pills such as oxy elite or stop using whatever I was on for a few weeks.
    3) Have a cheat meal/day once a week. Just this past weekend I had a "smart" cheat meal and I actually lost weight and keep losing weight as of today.
    4) switch up my workout to HIIT, this will work.. always if you really bust your *kitten*.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks? This is not a plateau, this is more than average loss.
  • Janelle_getsfit
    Janelle_getsfit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    from December 2012 to like mid April I was losing and then it kind of stopped and I started gaining and losing back and forth until now. I think routine is what has gotten me. Going to try to step outside my comfort zone, but I really don't like going to gyms. I prefer doing things at home. Any ideas?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calorie deficit. You can exercise all you want but if you aren't eating at an appropriate reasonable deficit then you won't lose weight. Exercise can help create said deficit, and it does help to change it up every so often because our body adapts. You haven't said what your calorie goal is and how close you have been keeping to it.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    from December 2012 to like mid April I was losing and then it kind of stopped and I started gaining and losing back and forth until now. I think routine is what has gotten me. Going to try to step outside my comfort zone, but I really don't like going to gyms. I prefer doing things at home. Any ideas?

Do you have any home exercise equipment? If so start using it. Also, you can google and get ideas on YouTube for body weight circuits that you can do both indoors and outdoors. Keep the pace up between exercises and you will incorporate not only strength but also cardio benefits. Several people in this network like various video workouts. 30 day Shred, Insanity and P90x are a few that come to mind. Start jogging. Plot courses throughout your neighborhood based on 1 mile, 2 mile, 3 mile markers. Take a stop watch with you so you can incorporate some HIIT and Tabata routines. Plan your week so you are not doing the same thing every day. Losing weight is hard. But if you commit to putting in the work on a daily basis, you will get there.
  • Janelle_getsfit
    Janelle_getsfit Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Do you have any home exercise equipment? If so start using it. Also, you can google and get ideas on YouTube for body weight circuits that you can do both indoors and outdoors. Keep the pace up between exercises and you will incorporate not only strength but also cardio benefits. Several people in this network like various video workouts. 30 day Shred, Insanity and P90x are a few that come to mind. Start jogging. Plot courses throughout your neighborhood based on 1 mile, 2 mile, 3 mile markers. Take a stop watch with you so you can incorporate some HIIT and Tabata routines. Plan your week so you are not doing the same thing every day. Losing weight is hard. But if you commit to putting in the work on a daily basis, you will get there.

Thanks! I've been meeting with a nutritionist every week the past 2 weeks, so by next week we'll see if planning out my workouts for the week and mixing things up has helped. I actually do own a copy of Insanity, but the first time I attempted I felt way too out of shape. Maybe I could give it another shot now that I'm not carrying as much weight.
  • Rastamann
    Rastamann Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Not sure if its been mentioned. But you need to recalculate your calorie intake after losing 5lbs or so. So if you're still eating the same, you might be eating to much for your new weight. Need to maintain the calorie deficit.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    To get rid of "stuck" position, eat less calories &/or up your workouts. Do you have a heart rate monitor? Just need to create a greater deficit. If your sodium has been high, it may take a few days to get rid of water retention, but that can be done by upping your potassium (mostly fruits/veggies, aka bunny food).

You can add me if you'd like! :)
  • christianladybug
    christianladybug Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calorie deficit. You can exercise all you want but if you aren't eating at an appropriate reasonable deficit then you won't lose weight. Exercise can help create said deficit, and it does help to change it up every so often because our body adapts. You haven't said what your calorie goal is and how close you have been keeping to it.

I don't agree with this. I know myself that even with Baratric surgery as an aid I have to exercise. Not everyone loses with just a deficiancy in calories. There is no secret way to do this. We all have to keep moving and eat healthy for it to work.

My advice....stay off the scales for a couple of weeks change the exercise routine try to do a small goal and really push yourself. Keep your calorie count and don't eat back your calories earned. In a couple of weeks you might find that you are on the way down again.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!