How can I become a faster runner?

Options
I just finished C25K. How can I go from running 5 mph to a faster speed throughout the entire run (30 minutes for example)? If you used C25K, please tell me what your speed/pace was when you finished the program, how long it took you to get X speed/pace, and how you got there. Thanks.

Replies

• ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I don't have all of that data, but I will tell you that the more you practice, the faster you'll get (without even realizing it).

If you're running a 5k at say 36 minutes now (12 minute mile-ish), make it a goal to run it next time at 35.5 minutes; the next time 35 minutes, and so on. I think you'll find that as you practice more, and as the weather gets cooler, seconds will fall off of your time without trying too hard.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Intervals...intervals...intervals...
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I started close to 11.5 minute miles and am now closer to 9.5 average and serious about getting faster. It took me a couple years to do that (not training all the time). Practice and trial and error worked for me. If you look up beginner speed workouts and do some intervals that can help too
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people going back and repeating C25K except jogging during the walking parts and running faster during the jogging parts. Haven't tried it myself, though; I'm in the middle of it the first time through.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    INTERVALS! I started running 12 minute miles, now I'm running consistent 10 minute miles. My goal is to bring it down to 9.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Right now keep adding miles. For beginner runners the speed comes with the time on the feet. Once you get to a good solid base (say 15-20 miles per week) then start bringing in tempo runs, hill intervals, speed intervals, long runs, etc.... Right now focus on the base.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

QFT. I've been a long distance runner for decades and I had no problem increasing distance, but I had the hardest time increasing speed...until I did HIIT. Those intervals really work! :drinker:
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I know it might sound trite but run run run the more you run and vary your distances do some hills the faster you get. The strangest thing for me is I dont feel that I am faster but by my app and gps I am so it is same effort but faster speed. My last 10K was a 12:51 Min/mile last May, this saturday ran a trial 10K warmup for a race in 2 weeks and was 12:45 with alot less effort and little post run pain. I am a lot older and quite a bit slower but even I am over 2 minutes a mile faster than last year and it is just from running more and more. So if you like it just go on out and do it and the results will improve
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    From another perspective... HEAVY lifting will improve your performance. Lower body exercises including squats, deadlifts, lunges, and glute bridges will do wonders for your speed.
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Improving my overall cardio fitness plus hill training and intervals has worked for me. My first 5K run (parkrun) was over 42 minutes right after I finished C25K in November 2012 and my Personal Best on the same course, which has a horrible steep hill in the middle of it, is now just over 30 minutes and I'm working towards being under 30 minutes.

I vary my routes and distance now but regularly run the same route to compare times and pace.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    No matter how many miles you log, the key as some of the other experienced runners have mentioned are intervals. I brought my half marathon pace down to around 8:00 miles and am working on reducing that now. I would have made no progress had I not done intervals. Incorporate tempo runs as well. Add hill sprints to the ends of runs. I would check out a site like this http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/run-faster-with-high-intensity-interval-training who explains different workouts. No track access? You can still practice the intervals on a treadmill or elsewhere. A track provides easy tracking though as well as a softer surfact that's a little nicer on the jionts!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Run more, and add speed training (intervals, fartleks, tempo runs, hills, etc).

I was running just 3x a week, and was slowly getting faster (I started at a 15 min mile, and got down to about a 12:30 min mile in a little over 2 months). Then I added a 4th day and am down to averaging an 11 min mile - some days I can average 10:30 (after another 2 months - 4 months total). I do either 3 short (3 mile, 30-35 min) "easy" runs a week and 1 long (4-5 mile, 45-55 min) run, or 2 short easy runs with one long run and one day or speed work (about 30 minutes). I will gradually increase my mileage/time on my short and long runs (but keep me speed work at 30 min)...and eventually add a 5th day (so I have 3 short runs, 1 long run and 1 day of speed work). My goal is to run a sub-30 minute 5k, a 65 minute 10k, and to finish my first half marathon in under 2:30 :happy:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1 - intervals and speed work

2 - increase mileage

3 - run, run, run
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    1) more miles

2) more miles

3) more miles

speedwork won't get you very far if you lack aerobic fitness - maybe some fartleks here and there
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,661 Member
    Options
    This. Intervals help to increase VO2max and muscular endurance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I was hoping that intervals wouldn't be one of the suggestions. :laugh:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Everyone who is recommending intervals, while well intentioned, are forgetting one major important factor here. She just started running 8 weeks ago! While the intervals are a good suggestion for later on, you all must remember she is only at about 9 miles a week running. She needs miles and time on her feet right now before the intervals and speed sessions.

Team...pick up your next goal. You mentioned B210K over in the C25K group at one point. I would think that would be a good continuation from what you have been doing. It picks right up where C25K lets off and helps you to start building a long run. Your bones and your skeletal structure is still reacting to the new stress that running is putting upon it. Building a base -and- speed sessions could set you up for injury if you aren't careful.
  • BurningAway
    Options
    Too much sense here...let me offer you this..

Zombie Apocalypse.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that if you want to run 5k fast, you'll have to be able to run a reasonable 10k first. So my first suggestion is to get onto a "Learn to 10k" type program and hit that distance - first.

After that, the way to run faster at distance is to run more. Increase volume, add 20% or so interval work. All kinds of 5k-specific training plans can be googled. Here is one, on a 12 day cycle:

Day 1 Aerobic – run half marathon distance fast (can probably replace with 10k without damaging anything)
    Day 2 Aerobic – 3 x 2 miles at 10km speed with 90 secs recovery
    Day 3 Anaerobic – 8 x 400m at 1,500m speed with 60 secs rest
    Day 4 Aerobic – 4 x 1 mile at 5km speed (target speed) with 60 secs rest
    Day 5 Aerobic – 3 x 1,500m at 3km speed with 3 mins rest
    Day 6 REST
    Day 7 If no race: anaerobic – 8 x 200m at 800m speed with 60 secs rest
    Day 8 Aerobic – run 10km very fast
    Day 9 Aerobic – run half marathon fast
    Day 10 Aerobic – 7 x 800m at 5km speed with 30 secs rest
    Day 11 Aerobic – 4 x 1k at 3km speed with 2:30 rest
    Day 12 Start the cycle again
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Too much sense here...let me offer you this..

Zombie Apocalypse.

To build off this...

Download this app: http://zombiesrungame.com/
    Turn on Zombie Chase intervals...enjoy!