Roasted Cauliflower help please!

cardbucfan
cardbucfan Posts: 10,559 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
So, I love roasted cauliflower sprinkled with some olive oil, garlic salt and parmesan. The only problem is the olive oil adds a ton of calories to a really low-cal food. Any ideas for how to reduce that? Substitutions? I think it needs something like olive oil to get the salt and parmesan to stick and to get that nice carmelization that makes it taste so good.

Replies

• I love that dish, too! Perhaps try using a sprayer like a "Misto" to mist the crowns of the cauliflower instead of drizzling the oil? I know the Olive Oil helps develop the nutty flavor, but this may help the salt and pepper stick without as many calories.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    I have never tried roasted cauliflower, but is there a spray that you can use? I have a fat-free olive oil cooking spray... maybe something like that would work?
  • mobymarsh
    mobymarsh Posts: 67 Member
    have you tried to blanch it first or will that spoil it i have never tried it this way but may try it
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    there's always olive oil cooking spray. but just remember that the nutrition facts says it's nonfat and has no calories only for a TINY bit of the spray. if you use enough to coat the cauliflower, it will have calories, but certainly not as many as pour some oil straight from a bottle.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    I always use olive oil flavored pam on my roasted veggies. It helps keep them from burning and helps the seasonings stick
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,559 Member
    I tried my Misto tonight with EVOO. Worked O.K., but it didn't carmelize as much. On the other hand, the Misto worked great for the grilled chicken.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I tried my Misto tonight with EVOO. Worked O.K., but it didn't carmelize as much. On the other hand, the Misto worked great for the grilled chicken.

I spray it once with my misto before I put it in the oven, then halfway through cooking, I stir it and misto it all over again. This seems to make it brown up a bit better, and it's still considerably less oil than drizzling. HTH.
This discussion has been closed.