Taking a day off....

Options
What is your take on "days off"?

I give myself one meal a week to eat what I like - and this meal I don't count the calories for (hence why it looks like I didn't eat dinner last night!)

I'm finding as time goes on what I am choosing to eat in this meal is actually healthier and healthier. But it allows me eat anything I've really been craving without the guilt. Learning moderation and control I guess. I read once that a high cal meal on a low cal diet actually gives your metabolism a boost. Regardless I think it helps me from reverting to crazy binges

What do you think?

Replies

• JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I do take one day a week as my splurge day. Usually weigh day. But I DO record everything I eat in my log. It has been a helpful way for me to stay on track- I can't have this today, but if I still want it on Friday, I can have it.... Plus, I can look back and see what choices I made, how much I ate, etc. It's working for me.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I agree with you because we can't always be counting calories and watching what we eat every single meal for the rest of our lives!! You wrote you are eating healthier even on this "day off meal" which is great!! My take on cravings is once in awhile you should give in. I've noticed by doing this when I'm craving something and I have it right away I only eat a small portion of it however if I try to not eat it when I eventually do eat it I eat more than I should!

I'm not sure about a high calorie meal boosting your metabolism if consistently eating low calorie, but it does make sense to me it could happen. I know some weeks when I haven't been losing as much as I'd like if I eat more of my exercise calories the next week more weight has come off.

Congrats on your progress so far!!! :flowerforyou:
  • disbrina
    Options
    I think taking one day to eat what you want is not a bad idea. Just as long as one day doesn't turn into to 2 days and such. I always like knowing the fact that i can eat a higher cal meal as long as I do the work to work it off. So on the nights that i am hitting the gym and my cal count is higher that is when i give myself a little treat. I still stay in the cal count that i need to and still feel like i am getting a treat.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    As long as, like you said, it's not a crazy binge then it's not a problem. I try and treat myself the same way you do... in the end I usually end up logging it anyway, though, because of curiosity. My husband and I had dinner out yesterday and I was surprised to come home, log it, and find I did REALLY well and only consumed about 500 cals give or take. The more healthy food you eat and the longer you do it, the healthier your cravings will be.
  • strongerthanb4
    Options
    I do a free day too, and it does not seem to hurt me.But I too have noticed that I wont eat as much of it as I would have before I decided to change my eating habits, and I also walk more after I do it. Also my free day has turned into just a free meal, instead of an all day binge. Good luck and do what's best for YOU!
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I will still add in my free meal too. Even if it shows me over on cals I do it anyways but...i dont feel guilty! Cause i discovered my free once a week meal is getting healthier and healthier too!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Every Saturday is my cheat/reward meal. I will still count the calories though regardless but I don't care how fattening it is.

Yesterday I had a vanilla pumpkin spice coffee from 7-11 (yes, that is considered a cheat to me) and me, my husband, and daughter went to Red Robin for lunch and I had a grilled chicken sandwich with a side of melon instead of the fries. Only 500 calories! I still ended up staying under my calorie intake for the day. I do it on my rest day from exercise.

Having a cheat day is wonderful, it keeps me SANE and not want every fattening thing in site. When I see a piece of cake or ice cream, I don't care for it.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    There are definitely people that don't think its a good idea at all- and for them, it's not. But like one person here said, if you can do it and not let it turn into 2 cheat days, 3 cheat days, etc., then I think its actually a good idea. I let myself have one cheat day a week. Sometimes I am still really good on my cheat days, and other times I eat terrible, lol. But I do still get exercise on those days. And it does keep me from eating junk the rest of the week, because I know that when Saturday rolls around, I can always have what I am craving, if I am still craving it by then. Some people just do one cheat meal a week instead, that's a good option too. Either way, I think its a welcome break from logging everything. :)
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts - I normally just have a meal off not a whole day but my problem is that I am very unmotivated on this day to exercise! I think I will try and incorporate some exercise at least before this meal and defintately make sure I am back on track the next meal :) x
  • Wifey31
    Options
    I take days off. I think you should. Trying to deprive yourself of something you really want can lead to a binge when you finally do get it. I usually plan my days. So far, I'm getting my grub on on Halloween night, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. New Year's Eve also. If we have any potlucks at work, it's on then too! The difference is, I 'll be aware of my portions and the other meals I eat for the day will accomodate for my indulgences. This way, I wont go buck wild and be mad at myself in the morning. If I want something on a whim, I adjust everything else I eat from that point on for the rest of the day. This works pretty well for me. I haven't had any major disappointments on the scales yet-I weigh myself everyday.
  • EverHopeful
    Options
    There are diets out there that actually encourage you to vary what you eat as a way to bolster your metabolism. I guess someone thinks it works or they wouldn't be available. And many diets recommend a day off or a meal off. As long as you don't let it become extra days or extra meals I'd say enjoy it.