Breathing Correctly?

Options
One of my main faults when working out or jogging is I don't know how to breathe properly. After a few seconds it seems, I'm huffing and puffing like I just ran a marathon. Sometimes it gets so bad I get light headed. I try to time my breathing with my steps the way I always saw my dad do it, but that works for approximately 5 breaths. I jsut don't feel like I'm getting enough air if I breathe slower like that.

This is a big deal to me because I have a history of asthma, and while it doesn't bother me anymore I never learned proper breathing as a result of it. Also with the cold approaching rapidly here, I am scared it will cause my asthma to flare up again. (asthma is cold weather activity induced).

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    if you have a history of asthma are you being followed by a doctor for it anymore? It's possible it's exercise induced.
  • rlzwakenberg
    rlzwakenberg Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    if you have a history of asthma are you being followed by a doctor for it anymore? It's possible it's exercise induced.

No. Not being followed by a doctor as my asthma isn't really an issue anymore. I outgrew it, basically. But it's not the asthma causing me to breathe so poorly. I don't have an attack, I just get out of breath quick.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I have asthma, though it's very rare for me to need to use my inhaler. First, maybe check with your doctor that you're not having exercise induced attacks. Always carry an inhaler.

I'm a runner (since January). I don't focus on "how to breathe" when I run. I could never get that "breathe with such & such steps" down, either. What I do is go at a slow enough pace so that I can breathe exclusively through my nose. Most people (including myself) start out running at too fast of a pace for their endurance level. Which is why they run out of breath so soon after they start running. You have to build up the endurance to go faster and/or further. So, as weird as it sounds, try going slower. I mean a LOT slower than you think you should be going. See if that helps.

EDIT: also, one never outgrows asthma. I was told I'd outgrown it, too. Then, bam, serious ER-required asthma attack when I was an adult after over ten years without symptoms.
  • rlzwakenberg
    Options
    I know you don't technically "outgrow" it. But it's been probably 13-15 years since I had an attack. my doctor told me I had adolescent asthma and that I would virtually outgrow it. Which, I have, basically. I undoubtedly remain very conscious of it because it was so extreme when I was a child. I know how to recognize an attack, and I know that I'm not having asthma attacks as my breathing regulates shortly after I quit doing whatever I'm doing. I know it's just a matter of getting out of breath.

As far as the running goes, I can't run. I jog for a minute or two (literally) and then have to walk for a few minutes, and then jog again as I can. I am extremely inactive and quite over weight. So I doubt that I'm starting off too fast as if I went any slower I'd be walking. In fact I could probably walk faster than I run. haha!

I get out of breath even doing jumping jacks and butt kicks. I have to imagine it's just the way I breahte?

Also, I thought the best was to breathe in though your nose and out through your mouth?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Sounds like this will resolve by getting into shape. Not so much a breathing strategy issue.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I know you don't technically "outgrow" it. But it's been probably 13-15 years since I had an attack. my doctor told me I had adolescent asthma and that I would virtually outgrow it. Which, I have, basically. I undoubtedly remain very conscious of it because it was so extreme when I was a child. I know how to recognize an attack, and I know that I'm not having asthma attacks as my breathing regulates shortly after I quit doing whatever I'm doing. I know it's just a matter of getting out of breath.

As far as the running goes, I can't run. I jog for a minute or two (literally) and then have to walk for a few minutes, and then jog again as I can. I am extremely inactive and quite over weight. So I doubt that I'm starting off too fast as if I went any slower I'd be walking. In fact I could probably walk faster than I run. haha!

I get out of breath even doing jumping jacks and butt kicks. I have to imagine it's just the way I breahte?

Also, I thought the best was to breathe in though your nose and out through your mouth?

I just wonder if you would benefit from some sort of pulmonary stress test? If it is possible and you can get access to a pulseox might want to see what your saturation is while you exercise.

I'm talking above my knowledge here, but seems might want to look in and see if you are getting full saturation while you exercise.

Do you have any issues with sleep apnea or snoring?
  • rlzwakenberg
    Options

I just wonder if you would benefit from some sort of pulmonary stress test? If it is possible and you can get access to a pulseox might want to see what your saturation is while you exercise.

I'm talking above my knowledge here, but seems might want to look in and see if you are getting full saturation while you exercise.

Do you have any issues with sleep apnea or snoring?

Nope, luckily enough (at least according to my dear fiancee) I have no sleep apnea or snoring issues. I never relly thought about the saturation issue, and that's definitely something to look in to.
    Thank you!!
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    rhileyschubbygranny Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You need to "belly" breathe and not "chest" breath when jogging/running while breathing with your steps just like you dad. Running World has lots of good articles on this.
  • rlzwakenberg
    Options
    You need to "belly" breathe and not "chest" breath when jogging/running while breathing with your steps just like you dad. Running World has lots of good articles on this.
    I'll check that out! Thank you!
    I guess in the moment it's so hard to even do the exercise that the breathing becomes less important. Sometimes I even catch myself holding my breath! EEP!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Sounds like this will resolve by getting into shape. Not so much a breathing strategy issue.
    I agree. Everyone feels this way when they first start running. Slow down and it will get easier.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    9781609619190_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG
  • rlzwakenberg
    Options
    Thank you all so much! :)