Elliptical cross trainer or treadmill?

Hi guys! :)

I'm curious to find out what you guys think about and what you think is better.

I currently have treadmill, damn thing is so loud. I'd love to use it in the morning prior to work but I don't as I don't want to wake my kids.

So I'm looking more on the lines of an Elliptical cross trainer. I personally think the cross trainer is better for your joints.

Please, if you can! I would like a few opinions!

Thank you :))

Enjoy your day

Replies

• adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    An elliptical is easier on your joints. I can't run to save my life because of my knees (I would totally be zombie chow when that zombie apocalypse happened) but I can go pretty fast on the elliptical, which makes me feel good about myself. So therefore, for me, the elliptical is my choice.

The better machine is the one that you are going to use. If you have bad joints and want a quieter experience, maybe the elliptical is better. I've used both and at one point in time lived in a house that had both (although I live in a condo and use machines at the gym now). You have to weigh the factors in your lifestyle!
  • Hahahahaha @ zombie! Made me laugh hard!!

I fully agree, I use to use the elliptical cross trainer at the gym, but seriously I found the staff horrible so I left!

I can't run either, if I'm running you'd better be starting to run cause I'm running for a reason!!! Hahaha!

My husband has set up the treadmill against the glass door. I thought it was a great idea, it will keep me on it. :huh:
  • I seriously have visions of you running den the street being chased by zombies, trying to run as fast as you can..

Oh my god mind you, you have no face.. But it's still funny!!
  • hollin40
    hollin40 Posts: 120 Member
    We have an elliptical at home and I love it!!!!! I love to run but I have arthritis in my hips and it can be painful but the elliptical is easy on my joints. I listen to Zombies, Run! while I exercise...it's awesome!
  • I LOVE THE ELLIPTICAL! I hate treadmills!! Preference. I achieved my desired results with an elliptical :)

39618610.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Thank you guys!

:))
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    I seriously have visions of you running den the street being chased by zombies, trying to run as fast as you can..

It's probably because the zombies ate my face. No open casket for me! LOL!
  • I seriously have visions of you running den the street being chased by zombies, trying to run as fast as you can..

It's probably because the zombies ate my face. No open casket for me! LOL!

:noway:
  • pauliie1986
    pauliie1986 Posts: 15 Member
    I use the treadmill for my warm up/cool down, but the cross trainer for the cardio part of my workout and I love it. I like that there isn't any impact on your joints and find there is less bounce if you know what I mean, making for a more comfortable workout.
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    X Trainer is better on your knees and can be better on your back as long as you watch your posture and don't go too crazy!

I burn a hell of a lot more calories on the Xtrainer than I do the treadmill, you're using more of your body and you can get up some speed on it which I know I just wouldn't be able to do with the impact on the treadmill.
  • Elliptical trainers, go for it...oh and have nice walks in the country or park at the weekends, can't beat fresh air and the great outdoors.
    Enjoy :smile:
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    I love the elliptical because I can use it without worrying that I am abusing my knees or hips. I would LOVE to have one at home, but they tend to have a large footprint. I have a recumbent but I know it doesn't challenge me as much AND you have to be very careful with your hips.... can get tendon problems from using too often.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Can't even work up a sweat on an elliptical. Treadmill works for me focusing on running form and I invested in a nice pair of running shoes. Do what works for you though. This is what does it for me...when it is too cold outside or just not convenient to go outside. I also use the treadmill to concentrate on pace too.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    i like both, however, i get the best work out on the treadmill.

i use the elliptical for a warm up, then go to the treadmill for a few mile run.

elliptical- i glisten
    treadmill- i pour sweat, sling sweat, and drip sweat all over the track
  • emmawoolf84
    emmawoolf84 Posts: 243 Member
    Elliptical over treadmill, everytime.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Personally, I usually get a better burn from a treadmill. But if you need something quieter, ellipticals get the job done.
  • All i will say is this...

Dropped 13kg in 2 months

Watched what I ate, did approx. 1 hour x 5 days/week on the cross trainer...
    The machine was telling me i was burning approx 1000 calories a session - PB was 1500

Yes i worked hard, yes i sweated a lot, but the results are there...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    The best one is the one that you will continue using long-term.