Question about Sugar Intake

Options
So.. seriously how do people keep their sugar under 26 a day?! Do you count natural sugars? i.e. from fruit? I have half a banana and an apple and I'm almost over on sugars! (I'm exagerating a little but still) Just wondering if most people are able to stay under that goal...

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with staying under my goal. Granted my goal is whatever fits my macros for the day, I average about 120-150 g of sugar a day.
  • WendyGr8
    WendyGr8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @ manda - I have the same problem, in fact I was literally just bemoaning this fact to my husband. I was doing better when i had seriously limited my carbs earlier in the year, but even then had to limit fruits (especially, if I was saving calories for icecream). Obviously, I have a sweet tooth ;) Really the only times I would stay within the sugar goal was by staying way under carb goal & way over protein goal. I'll be watching the responses you get for others suggestions on this issue. Thanks for bringing it up!
  • manda79rn
    manda79rn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Maybe my parameters are out of whack because mine are slim to none.. :) Maybe I did something weird...
  • SlimmingMeDown
    SlimmingMeDown Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The sugars criteria I don't pay that much attention to. It seems like it's wrong somehow.

I don't gorge on sugars, but I eat fruits, which ups that quickly, and milk too, which I love to drink.

I'm just eating balanced without overdoing it.
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same. I ignore it and just go with the calorie intake. There's no way to keep in your sugar goal if you eat fruit and chocolate (yeah!).

I have blown through the sugar count almost every day. No problems losing weight.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a metabolic problem that forces you to limit sugar (PCOS, diabetes, etc), don't track sugar. Track carbs, protein and fat and choose whatever you want for your last two columns (or track nothing in the final two options). Personally, I track fiber and calcium.

Sugar is a carb and unless you have special needs, there is no reason to track it.

I probably have about 100g of sugar a day (mostly fruit), and I had no problem losing 66 pounds (and keeping it off for going on two years).
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a metabolic problem that forces you to limit sugar (PCOS, diabetes, etc), don't track sugar. Track carbs, protein and fat and choose whatever you want for your last two columns (or track nothing in the final two options). Personally, I track fiber and calcium.

Sugar is a carb and unless you have special needs, there is no reason to track it.

I probably have about 100g of sugar a day (mostly fruit), and I had no problem losing 66 pounds (and keeping it off for going on two years).
    This. I don't track sugar (or sodium for that matter) and it hasn't affected my weight loss one bit. But mine doesn't 'mostly come from fruits', it mostly comes from ice cream. :drinker:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it as long as most of your sugar comes from whole foods (fruit, milk, etc.), instead of added sugars in all processed foods. I don't even track it. I recommend tracking sodium instead.
  • Maggiedoll84
    Maggiedoll84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't. I think MFP is pretty stupid about the sugar limit, especially without any way to distinguish between refined sugar and fruit sugar.
    Two cups of cantaloupe or watermelon cubes, and you hit the sugar limit. IMHO, no sane diet can limit your fruit intake that much.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I really don't know how they do it. Discipline. I eat a banana and a plain greek yogurt and I'm over. Low sugar isn't something I can do forever, so I decided to not even bother trying to for a short period of time. I love fruits and yogurt too much to restrict it (and the occasional Luna bar when i'm out of Quest or just fancy one)

I think everyone is different though. I haven't had any problems losing weight and I don't restrict sugar at all. I just looked and I was at 78g today. My advice is to just see how it works for you. Don't get discouraged seeing what others are doing and do what works for you! I learned that IF NOTHING ELSE during this healthy lifestyle change.
  • ruthannnunnally
    Options
    Manda, I am having the same problem. Smart me thought for dinner I would have two cups of boiled cabbage. 15 sugars! I was talking to my daughter today about this and her only suggestions were ice, air and maybe dirt! LOL! Seriously, I am under my calorie intake (due to medicine) and over on my sugars daily. I am ready to ignore it. I will try it for a week and see what happens.
  • manda79rn
    manda79rn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the feedback... I think I may just get rid of tracking it in general, I haven't had a problem losing (other than it being slow towards the end but I get it) but was just annoyed that I was always in the red... OCD and all. ;)
  • brown46545
    brown46545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of not tracking is great. I didn't realize it was an option. I have given up all fruit and yogurt because it would send me over the chart by 8:00 a.m. And fruit is healthy (like everything else - in moderation).

I know i commented on another thread somewhere, but your pictures are great! I love seeing the before/after pics of people. Such motivation! Great job.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar and sodium a while back. I usually track fiber and potassium because those are more relevant for me.