Newbie back on the diet any advice / tips?

Options
As above really currently at 10 stone 7lbs goal weight is 9stone I'm 5ft 5. Looking to go to the gym 3 x a week for an hour or so to begin with. Need advice on a sustainable exercise and nutrition plan. Any pointers would be fantastic!

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Sustainable nutriton plan depends on how strong you are mentally, I managed a good 5ish months being fairly strict with my eating but needed a day a week to binge eat but try stay around maintenance on my calories. I'm currently doing IIFYM so basically I hit my protein and fat macros for the day and whatever carbs I have left I can eat something like ice cream etc. (This does not mean I eat ice cream at the start of the day THEN hit my macros as it's a lot harder to stay on track that way)

Also working out you have to learn your own style of working out, what you enjoy etc. First find out what your goals are. If they are just increasing your fitness levels I'd just go with Crossfit style workouts or P90x or something like that. If it's powerlifting I'd follow a 3x3 or 5x5 routine. If it's bodybuilding the best thing I think is to go watch POG or the Hodgetwins, watch how they train and try and follow their advice. Once you are more advanced watch people like Kai Greene, Phil Heath, Ronnie Coleman, Dorian Yates, Arnold Schwarzenegger etc for advice.
  • charlychops
    Options
    Weight training will transform your body! I tried dieting alone and doing bits of cardio and saw little/no results, and as soon as I introduced heavy weight training 3x a week my body quickly changed. I'm noticing that my arms and especially legs are tightening and although I haven't weighed myself recently, I feel fitter and have more energy. Also nutrition wise try making small changes, for example swapping pasta for whole grain pasta one week, and the next week introducing more vegetables into your meals.
    Look at www.trimmedandtoned.com it really helped me. x
  • penutbuttercups01
    Options
    Hi Tanya,

Best bit of advice I can give you is look at your diet first, how much are you eating & what are you eating?
    Then sit down and make a List & write out what you can improve in.
    Some pointers I can give you in terms of diet is:

Reduce or remove any consumption of refined carbs & sugars
    Reduce or remove consumption of sodas/ soft drinks & bottled juices.
    Remove or reduce consumption of pre packaged / made products.
    Remove or reduce consumption of dairy & dairy products.
    Increase consumption of fresh organic produce .
    Increase consumption of good fats ( skip the low fat products)
    With training a good mix of cardio & weights 3-5 times a week should suffice in helping you achieve your goals!!!
    Best of luck
  • frankw678
    Options
    I has been using this system for a while now. it works pretty good for me. It has 4 formulas including both workout and the nutrition. It customizes the nutrition to everything about you; your age, weight, height, and metabolism. It also customizes the nutrition to your somatotype and your weight training regimen. Specifically allocates your calories and macronutrients throughout the day DEPENDING on when or if you’re working out, You will find here information here, http://www.therippedbody.net/