Fatigue

Options
Help the last couple of weeks I have been very fatigued, joints ache and want to sleep all the time. I had blood tests done and everything came back fine. Vitamin D was a tad low but other than that I am healthy. I have lost 36lbs and almost at my goal weight. I was exercising 3 times a week and even running. Now I am so tired all I want to do is sleep. Dragging myself to the gym only to not complete my normal work out. I can't even finish a good run. I eat healthy. Fresh fruits, veggies and plenty of water. Still have processed foods in my life but until it gets cheaper to eat fresh all the time there will always be that. I even take daily vitamins. This is frustrating. I feel like I am going backwards. I am still sticking with the diet but the energy to work out is really lacking.

So am I burnt out? I have been at this almost a full year
Lacking something in my diet? Are there foods that will give you energy?
Anyone else have this issue?

PLEASE any ideas or advice since there is a dead end at the doctors office.

Replies

• MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've had an energy low too. I upped the cals I was eating, and changed my playlist
  • Evanftw
    Options
    You could try a pre workout supplement if you really feel like you are dragging in the gym.

Don't cut out all carbohydrates! These are some healthy ones:
    Arugula
    Beans
    Broccoli
    Collard greens
    Legumes
    Mustard greens
    Romaine lettuce
    Spinach
    Swiss chard, which tastes a bit like spinach
    Whole grain breads
    Whole grain pastas

Fish oil pills for your joints?
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Burn-out is a possibility.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/overtraining/

Re your blood tests, I don't know what "everything" means. I assume it includes having had your iron levels tested, but that was the first thing that occurred to me in addition to overtraining.

Congratulations on all you've accomplished! You work a tough job, too, so that's another source of stress.
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    How much sleep have you been getting?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I would assume they checked your iron, since that would be the most likely culprit, but you may want to double check, just in case. Iron deficiency is very common among women and can cause the exhausted/fatigued feelings.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Livingdeadnurse Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Re your blood tests, I don't know what "everything" means. I assume it includes having had your iron levels tested, but that was the first thing that occurred to me in addition to overtraining.

Congratulations on all you've accomplished! You work a tough job, too, so that's another source of stress.

Had my iron, thyroid and basic levels. Even had tests for arthritis.
    not sure what would be considered overtraining. Especially since it's been at least 2 weeks since I had a really good sweat. I have to make myself get out and even go for a walk.

I wondered if it was burn out but I am too tired for everything. Housework, walking, grocery shopping...
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    How much sleep have you been getting?

6-9 hours depending what day it is. But on my days off I even find myself napping an hour. Which doesn't help. Sometimes even makes it worse.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    As for iron. I take a daily vitamin with iron, vitamin c, b-12. b-complex, calcium +D and vitamin E

I would hope that I have plenty of vitamins. Due to working with sick patients I was coming home with every sniffle and the ER doctor told me to take a few of those to help ward off the crud. Since some don't know how to cover their mouth when they cough.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    You could try a pre workout supplement if you really feel like you are dragging in the gym.

Don't cut out all carbohydrates! These are some healthy ones:
    Arugula
    Beans
    Broccoli
    Collard greens
    Legumes
    Mustard greens
    Romaine lettuce
    Spinach
    Swiss chard, which tastes a bit like spinach
    Whole grain breads
    Whole grain pastas

Fish oil pills for your joints?

thanks for the food advice
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options

Somehow missed the link. Will check that out too
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I looked at a few days in your diary and noticed that your protein is pretty low. You might try eating more protein and a few less carbs. Protein gives you energy.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I noticed your page indicated that working nights can make you dead tired. Any possibility of changing that up temporarily? Maybe it's the combination of working nights and your body adjusting to the new you. Otherwise, Lyme disease? By the way, you look great!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    1. You don't seem to meeting your potassium goals.
    2. A virus. Those buggers can hang in there for upwards of 2 weeks with no symptom other than exhaustion.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Just me, but i have the same issue and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Stress Reaction syndrome. Took nearly a year of testing, but finally got the right meds and am feeling so much better now (this was over 2 years ago this started, sleeping 16 hour days, and working, and school)

Also was able to get a new job, less stress, and started yoga. HUGE help!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    All of the possibilities everyone mentioned are great. However, it could also be due to the changing weather. Surprisingly, many people get "seasonal depression" which can cause fatigue. Honestly though, it's probably a virus.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    It sounds like how I felt when I was diagnosed with my auto immune illness.

I would make sure they checked CBC, BMP, and CRP.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    It sounds like how I felt when I was diagnosed with my auto immune illness.

I would make sure they checked CBC, BMP, and CRP.

All the blood work came back with no problems
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    1. You don't seem to meeting your potassium goals.
    2. A virus. Those buggers can hang in there for upwards of 2 weeks with no symptom other than exhaustion.

i would think my potassium would have showed up low on the blood work. But I will try to eat more potassium.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    All of the possibilities everyone mentioned are great. However, it could also be due to the changing weather. Surprisingly, many people get "seasonal depression" which can cause fatigue. Honestly though, it's probably a virus.

I wouldn't think that because i really don't have any reason to be depressed. No crying. Have a job, roof over my head, food on the table and a great guy. But I think the doctor thinks that too. Since all the symptoms are there. Which is weird.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    I noticed your page indicated that working nights can make you dead tired. Any possibility of changing that up temporarily? Maybe it's the combination of working nights and your body adjusting to the new you. Otherwise, Lyme disease? By the way, you look great!
    [/quote

Someone was teasing me that I feel more tired now with the weight loss than with out. I still feel fabulous in that aspect. What's weird is I can't seem to get back into running like I was doing. I have been on nights for almost 3 yrs so i wouldn't think it was that. I have always been a night person.