Weights Program that can be done once a week

Options
Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
Due to sports commitments (training twice a week and playing two to three days a week) I'm finding I just don't have the time to do NROLFW as that states you have to do at least twice a week.

I do want to keep up with my weights though, can anyone recommend a good program that can be done once a week?

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any programs, but I'm thinking that if I only had one day to do strength training, then I would do probably just do some squats, bench pressing, deadlifts, and overhead press. At least that will hit most of your muscles.

Maybe someone else has some (better) suggestions?
  • _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Maybe add some lifting exercises to your sports training, either in the same workout or split up within the day. No lifting program can be effective with a once a week workout. 3 days a week is optimal, but I'm not sure how that could interfere with your other training. I personally thought New Rules took too much of my time, and I found myself doing exercises I sincerely doubted were essential to gaining overall strength. Maybe choose an upper and a lower barbell exercise, and add that to what you're currently doing plus that extra day to make it 3. I'd be careful of working your body too hard though, so it'd be wise to ease into that and possibly prevent an injury. Your situation is tricky! It may help to consult with a weightlifting trainer.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What about Strong Lifts? I can be done in about 45 minutes. I'm not sure once a week will do anything for you. But maybe if you really can only lift once a week do something like:

Squats 3x8
    Bench 3x8
    Pendlay Rows 3x8
    Shoulder Press 3x8
    Deadlifts 1x5

with warm-ups sets for all, but especially deads.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Do all four "big" lifts (deadlift, squat, bench, overhead press) 3x5 or 5x5. There should be enough recovery time only, doing them on the same day once a week.
  • allprobeginner
    Options
    Not enough info given in the OP to answer the question.
    but it sounds like the same dilemma as wt training while marathon training.
    can't focus on both.
    and if you add weight training to your current schedule, it doesn't sound like enough rest days for you.
    You should have, and NEED, several, especially if weight training is involved.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I have three non softball days. I usually do a long walk on two of these days.

I understand one day a week won't be as effective but it's better than nothing right?

I'll also be keeping one day a week rest.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Body by Science and Power of 10 are once a week. I have been doing Body by Science for a month and am liking it so far, though I will probably move to a 2x weekly program by January.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    How about a short walk and some lifting instead of 2 long walks? The strength training will do you more good than a long walk.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any programs, but I'm thinking that if I only had one day to do strength training, then I would do probably just do some squats, bench pressing, deadlifts, and overhead press. At least that will hit most of your muscles.

Maybe someone else has some (better) suggestions?

This is about the right of it. Be sure to hit all the major groups. While it's pretty much impossible to make gains on a lowish volume, 1x per week schedule, i have been able to maintain (mostly, anyway) when i've had to switch to 1x per week training for various reasons.

*I'd add some sort of rowing in there, but that's me.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Agree that you can at least protect your strength gains by training once a week. Whether you can actually advance your strength will depend on how hard you can go given all your other athletic commitments.

Also agree with DavPul: if you're only going once a week, then you'll want some pulling in there, too. You could do rowing or something like weighted chins (or bodyweight chin ladders, if you can do less than 8-10 chin ups).

5/3/1 has a one day a week template, but you'll be going backwards if you're not already an experienced lifter. If you're a beginner, you'll be better off doing a LP programme and hitting it hard (as hard as possible).

The best idea is to do a 2 day a week routine if you want to get stronger. I would find time in your schedule, if that's really your goal.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Combine the A and B workouts of Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 and do that once a week. So basically Squats, OHP, Bench Press, Deadlift, Rows or Power Cleans or Chin Ups.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have three non softball days. I usually do a long walk on two of these days.

I understand one day a week won't be as effective but it's better than nothing right?

I'll also be keeping one day a week rest.

I suggest you trade two of the long walks for strength training, and do strength training 3 days a week.