Good heart rate monitor - information needed

Options
Hello,

I am in need of a good heart rate monitor to track calories. I play a team sport once a week and would like to wear it there, I cannot wear watches or bracelets of any kind while I play (apparantly we can injur ourselves or others by wearing accessories) so I need one that can be worn discretly under my clothing. I have seen ones that have a chest band, but they also have a watch componant which I cannot use. Anybody know of one that is just the chest band or strap worn under clothing?

Any recommendations welcome, although the more reasonably priced the better! I am located in Australia so preferably ones available here.

Thanks
Steph

Replies

• srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I play roller derby and along with a lot of the other girls, wear a heart rate monitor; we can't wear the watch part on the wrist due to wrist guards, so I just put it through the arm hole of my top (between arm hole and head hole, if you see what I mean). Derby is full contact and I don't think any of us have ever had a problem with the watch worn this way. I have a Polar FT4 which does everything I want - heart rate, calories burned, stores ten workout files so you can go back and track changes.
  • srogers89
    Options
    And does it still work accurately when wearing that way? I wouldn't be allowed to wear on my clothing but could probably loop it through a bra strap or something if that's the case haha!
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yeah - the watch is actually closer to the chest strap that way than it is on my wrist! It's the chest strap which is measuring the heart rate anyway, not the watch - the watch does the calculations etc etc. None of us have had any dramas wearing it that way :)
  • srogers89
    Options
    super! I was thinking I may have to purchase something not so great but this way I can get a Polar!

Thanks for your help :)
  • Echarde
    Options
    If you don't mind wearing your smartphone along with chest strap - instead of this wrist watch, there are also many options to choose.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and it's brilliant. I don't do contact sport (more running, weights and Jillian DVD's) However I find it a pain when doing push ups etc as the watch is annoying when you bend your wrist. As long as the watch remains near the sensor it still works. Mine goes in the pocket on my running shorts or round my bra strap under my shirt and works fine. Just make sure the chest strap is tight so the sensor is snug to your skin. Also check that the location you put the watch is still reading your HR- for example too far below waist my make the signal weak.
    It really is a good HRM- and I love seeing a burn that is pretty much as close to accurate as you can get!
  • srogers89
    Options
    If you don't mind wearing your smartphone along with chest strap - instead of this wrist watch, there are also many options to choose.

The sport I play is netball, if not familiar with it, it is sort of like basketball. I can't carry my phone around on the court unfortunately, but a chest strap I can probably wear discretly under my clothing. Unless of course the phone can stay in my bag on the sidelines while I wear the chest strap?

I think the best option is placing the watch around my sports bra under my clothing.... I was really hoping there would be smaller all in one pieces (similar to a fit bit) that I could find but it is looking like most have a chest strap and watch componant.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how far it will transmit, but I know my polar bluetooth strap talks to my ipod from 15feet. I leave my ipod on a counter and go about my workout without moving it (good sized home gym). That is farther than they state it should transmit.
  • srogers89
    Options
    Oh interesting! The length of the court is longer than that but maybe I could find one that has a further transmitting distance, thanks for the advice :)
  • Echarde
    Options
    The distance of stable transmission of new Bluetooth devices is over 30 feet usually. I learned this question ))
  • dannyferris9
    Options
    Hey there are a range of different ones to choose from especially when it comes to price from budget to high. The main difference is the functionality and the materials they are made from. The expensive ones have GPS and calorie counters etc, as well as being more metallic or stainless.

There are also versions that have no watch or armband but you get a chest strap and then download an app for you phone that connects via Bluetooth. Neat ugh and everyone carries their phone everywhere right?

For more info and to check out reviews on a selection check here http://www.myheartbeatmonitor.com , good luck with the training.