desperate and depressed

Options
So ill be 30 soon and am probably going thru some kind of hormonal change because I cant explain what is wrong with me. Im a wife and mother of two beautiful children ages 5 and 2.5 and they are my everything, but my weight has always been my number one depression issue off and on since I think I was like 8. in april 2011 the month and year I had my daughter I weighed a whopping 245lbs. I breast fed her til she was 9mo and lost only 5 -7lbs when I stopped breastfeeding I weighed 220lbs in the following 4 months I got down to 184 and maintained a fluctuating weight of 180-184 until this July. for some reason from the end of july til currently I gained weight and never really changed much of my habits but I went from the 184-194 and im just stumped I work out eat healthy and gain weight I need help desperately want to reach my goal weight of 170lbs by my 30th birthday in may 2014...

Replies

• munchie3511
    munchie3511 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    YOU can do this! Feel to add me! We can work together! :)
  • CarolDoodle
    CarolDoodle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you measure everything you eat, every morsel of food that goes into your mouth, and then track all those calories and do not lose weight, then you may have a medical issue. However for most people, it is a matter of portion control. Until we start measuring and tracking we have no idea that we are consuming too many calories. Also, as you age your metabolism slows and you no longer burn the same number of calories for a day's worth of metabolic functions. As for the depression, is it something you need to see the doc on or is it due to the weight problem? if it is from the weight, then as soon as you take control and start doing something to remedy the problem I am willing to bet you will feel better. Jump into this program and it will help!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    If you measure everything you eat, every morsel of food that goes into your mouth, and then track all those calories and do not lose weight, then you may have a medical issue. However for most people, it is a matter of portion control. Until we start measuring and tracking we have no idea that we are consuming too many calories. Also, as you age your metabolism slows and you no longer burn the same number of calories for a day's worth of metabolic functions. As for the depression, is it something you need to see the doc on or is it due to the weight problem? if it is from the weight, then as soon as you take control and start doing something to remedy the problem I am willing to bet you will feel better. Jump into this program and it will help!

This. I don't measure with a food scale but I do measure with my kitchen measuring cups. It keeps me close enough that I have lost 21 pounds in 3 months.

Also, more and more literature is showing a link between healthy gut bacteria and good mental health. You might try a round of probiotics and see if it helps you. Your mileage may vary but restoring the correct balance of bacteria in your gut can't hurt. I will be doing a round of probiotics because I have felt out of sorts since I was on an antibiotics for bronchitis in September.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I would be happy to give you encouragement on your journey.
  • morganmcclure75
    Options
    You can do it! Maybe logging calories can help you be more conscious of what you're eating. I know its helped out a bit. Also find a way to work out that's fun and doesn't make you feel like you're working out. I like running or walking. :)
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options

^^That's it! Sometimes we believe we're eating right but we're not. I realized I was eating more calories than I thought I was only when I bought a kitchen scale. If you stick to the number of calories and count every single bread crumb you put in your mouth, you WILL lose weight.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

This. I don't measure with a food scale but I do measure with my kitchen measuring cups. It keeps me close enough that I have lost 21 pounds in 3 months.

Also, more and more literature is showing a link between healthy gut bacteria and good mental health. You might try a round of probiotics and see if it helps you. Your mileage may vary but restoring the correct balance of bacteria in your gut can't hurt. I will be doing a round of probiotics because I have felt out of sorts since I was on an antibiotics for bronchitis in September.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I would be happy to give you encouragement on your journey.

Give this video a look. Using a food scale is the way to go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY&feature=youtu.be