NSV: First time jogging the mile, nonstop!

Options
Just had to share this for anyone else who thought or thinks that they will never be able to run or that they're not cut out for running:) I've always loved the THOUGHT of becoming a "runner" but after this, I'm going to actively work toward that goal!

I know this isnt a weight loss related success story (....yet!) but I have literally been on cloud 9 all day long! Last night I jogged the mile NONSTOP for the first time in my life on my INCLINED treadmill and it felt AMAZING!!!! I've always despised the mile and thought that even at my goal weight I still wouldnt be able to finish the whole thing without stopping (just figured that I'd never have it in me). Becoming a runner was a nice thought but I would've put money on it that it would never happen for me but last night was almost magical! (at the risk of sounding super cheesy haha). Once I got out of my head and stopped focusing on the amount of calories burned or the distance or getting off the treadmill so I could watch my favorite show before it gets too late and just KEPT GOING, I saw results! At one point midway through, I told myself that I should stop and take a breather and then almost immediately, another little voice (whose name is probably Jillian Michaels lol), said "No! Why would you stop? You're not about to die and your heart is not beating out of your chest and your legs are not about to give out so why stop??"

....and just like that, I kept going. Covered up the display with my towel and just ran and ran and ran! (well, jogged, but you get the idea:) After that mile was done, I was so ecstatic that I did ANOTHER mile! (Didnt run that whole thing but finished it nonetheless!).
All that to say, life is great and we should be surprised at the things we can accomplish when we just get out of our own heads for a minute and JUST DO IT. :)

Gonna officially clock my mile time on the track this weekend and I couldnt be more excited:) Hoping for 10 mins or less!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's been years for me and I still remember that feeling well. Congrats to you!!! An awesome NSV. :flowerforyou:
  • AisforAmazing19
    Options
    Congratulations on your first of many miles :)
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for you!!! Congrats on this HUGE NSV!!!! I have recently started running since this spring and am loving it! Just signed up for my first 1/2 marathon in Tulsa next month!!! Just run because you love it, don't worry about time, distance, calories burned, pace etc... Keep on running sister!
  • mikajao
    mikajao Posts: 30
    Options
    YES!! Great job!!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I would like to become a runner as well. For now I'm a walk, jog, walk, jog person. :0)
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Awesome job hun!! I'm actively trying to become a "runner" myself. I started out only being able to run 10 second intervals at a time. As of today I've run a 5K five times in the past two weeks and last weekend I ran FIVE MILES non-stop for the first time ever!

You can do it!!! :heart:
  • hmjohnson25
    hmjohnson25 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I know what a big deal that is. Great job!
  • CaliDreams27
    CaliDreams27 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone!!!!! This is such an amazing community! I really appreciate it:)
  • mfernando6
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! I am working on the same thing. You should fee amazing
  • weaving2fast
    weaving2fast Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Good job and congratulations! I used to be a runner in a former life. Hoping to get back there someday.
  • mwal74
    mwal74 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! I used to be a runner as well, and plan to be there again within a few months.
  • sarcathryn
    sarcathryn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Amazing ! Becoming a runner is a goal of mine too, but like you said, it seems to be only a nice thought. This is inspiration !
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    It is an awesome feeling... It will only get better.... You are a runner!!!
  • jaysull21
    Options
    congrats to you!!! :happy:

It is a great feeling, isn't it? There's more to come , trust me! It's good!
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! Truly is an amazing feeling!!! And it will only get better!!!

6 mins or 16 mins...a mile is still a mile

Keep up the good work!!! :)
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I loved your post....that " why would you stop" voice is so important!!!! Great job:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    That is a HUGE accomplishment, congrats! Since I started running this summer, I am constantly amazed at what my body can do, it's crazy! :drinker:
  • seren1ty74
    seren1ty74 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I hope to celebrate the same NSV as soon as my doctor clears me to run (i was told to lose more weight first)...
  • jadesdca
    jadesdca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    WOOHOO!!! Congrats on this major WIN!

I decided I would do one 5k a month every month in 2013 (and I've kept with it!), and at first, I walked a good portion of it (heck, I couldn't even run a full mile in January). But I kept with it and by April, I ran the whole thing for the first time!

Victories like this aren't easy and don't happen overnight... it takes a lot of hard work, determination, and sweat! So GREAT JOB!!! Keep it up!

BTW - signing up for a 5k is a great motivator! There's something about being there with hundreds of other people and running for a cause that gets you seriously amped up (and don't worry, there will always be people there that are slower than you!)! :wink:
  • morganmcclure75
    Options
    YAY!!!! Congrats on running a mile! I remember the first time I ran a mile, the high I felt was awesome. :)
    Keep up the good work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!