calories burnt cooling down?

Options
I have reached a stall so I'm trying to tighten things up in my diet. Say I run for 45 mins and my calorie count according to my heart rate monitor, chest strap monitor, is 500. I spend 10 mins briskly walking to bring my heart rate down and the cal count is now 600. Do I count those last 100 cals or no? Thanks :)

Replies

• betho217
    betho217 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That's a really good question and I wonder what the answer is. I start my HRM when I begin warming up and stop after cool down but before I stretch. I keep it going if I do crunches/planks before stretching. I count all of the calories as exercise calories burned.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I would count it if you're still briskly walking. I wouldn't count cool down time if you were laying on the couch or doing some static stretching.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    if you always have, yes.. if you never have, no...

if it aint broke don't fix it.

/thread
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Say I run for 45 mins and my calorie count according to my heart rate monitor, chest strap monitor, is 500. I spend 10 mins briskly walking to bring my heart rate down and the cal count is now 600. Do I count those last 100 cals or no?

No. Your HRM is being fooled by your elevated heart rate and significantly over-estimating your burn during those 10 minutes of walking.
  • Beewallows
    Beewallows Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If this was me, I would enter the 500 (that's around 100 calories per 10 minutes, which is a normal burn), but I wouldn't trust the 100 calories for 10 minutes of walking (so no difference between walking and running). So maybe add 50 calories from that walk to be safe?
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    grrr... im annoyed by people overthinking things and tinkering... it just adds more variables... if your weightloss plateaus you just adjust your daily goal downwards.... that in itself will workout all of the imperfect variables... bad job eyeballing food, inaccurate burn measurments, etc....

the more variables you add the more complicated you make things

When things go awry, nobody likes answrring your questions only to find out you made up some Fed up system that is bass ackwards and senseless.
  • RachelGrace1
    RachelGrace1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Say I run for 45 mins and my calorie count according to my heart rate monitor, chest strap monitor, is 500. I spend 10 mins briskly walking to bring my heart rate down and the cal count is now 600. Do I count those last 100 cals or no?

No. Your HRM is being fooled by your elevated heart rate and significantly over-estimating your burn during those 10 minutes of walking.
    makes sense, thank you