My first timed 5k!

Options
Hello!

I just finished the Dallas Komen Race for the Cure. It was my first timed 5k.

First of all, I am NOT a fast runner. I set 2 personal goals for myself: 1.) to JOG the whole thing, non-stop, without any walking intervals and 2.) to finish in less than 35 minutes (a nice, slightly less than 12 minute mile pace).

And I did it!! I made BOTH of my goals ;-) I jogged non-stop... I stepped up it up when I could and kept a steady pace throughout. I finished just barely under 35 minutes (the official race times aren't out yet).

Let me also say that 113 lbs ago, this never would have been possible! I couldn't even freakin' WALK a mile in under 20 minutes, so a 12 minute mile pace is pretty good for someone like me. And, 113 lbs ago, I was wearing a XXL --which I stretched out because it was too tight-- and today I wore a medium that fit quite nicely :-)

I'm happy with my time, excited about making both my goals, and proud of myself for making good on a promise I made to myself!

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!! I just did my first 5K also this morning! My goal was to jog/run the entire time and finish under 33 min! and I did too! 32.43!
    It feels great doesnt it!!
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's an awesome accomplishment.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!! I just did my first 5K also this morning! My goal was to jog/run the entire time and finish under 33 min! and I did too! 32.43!
    It feels great doesnt it!!

Congrats to you as well!

next year I'll aim for a better time. I'm just thrilled I accomplished what I set out to do!
  • hammycat86
    Options
    GREAT JOB!!! You make us all proud and inspire the rest of us who still need to "get there!"
  • alliz
    alliz Posts: 7
    Options
    Awesome!!!

i am hoping to do a 5k early next year!
    i HATE running - but seems the only way to keep the weight off!

congrats!
  • ktc33
    ktc33 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! That is awesome!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Great job to you and also to the others that did 5Ks today!
    WooHOO! :flowerforyou:
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I just started training for my first 5k last week!

Congrats to you!
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    way to go! my last 5k was about 38 minutes, but i walked a little. it's a real goal of mine to run the whole thing... someday! i've got one coming up thanksgiving morning, maybe i can try then. you're an inspiration :)
  • nonnahs413
    nonnahs413 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! Congrats!
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Lisa thats awesome, you are such an inspiration to me..haha wish we lived closer I bet you'd make a great running buddy!
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Congrats to both of you, great job!

Karen
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Great Job Lisa!
  • tlamhain
    Options
    Awesome job!!!! I too am a slow runner my fastest race has been 35:15 just last month! I have another on 10/30 that I am excited to do!! Races are addicting!!! LOL!!! Next summer I plan to do one a month. I even plan on running one in Feburary here in Maine!! Brrrr!!!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I just finished the Dallas Komen Race for the Cure. It was my first timed 5k.

First of all, I am NOT a fast runner. I set 2 personal goals for myself: 1.) to JOG the whole thing, non-stop, without any walking intervals and 2.) to finish in less than 35 minutes (a nice, slightly less than 12 minute mile pace).

And I did it!! I made BOTH of my goals ;-) I jogged non-stop... I stepped up it up when I could and kept a steady pace throughout. I finished just barely under 35 minutes (the official race times aren't out yet).

Let me also say that 113 lbs ago, this never would have been possible! I couldn't even freakin' WALK a mile in under 20 minutes, so a 12 minute mile pace is pretty good for someone like me. And, 113 lbs ago, I was wearing a XXL --which I stretched out because it was too tight-- and today I wore a medium that fit quite nicely :-)

I'm happy with my time, excited about making both my goals, and proud of myself for making good on a promise I made to myself!

My offiicial run/chip time was 34:28! That's a 11:03/mile pace.... I did better than I thought I did! WOO HOO :-D
  • maviolette
    maviolette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great Job! I did my first 5K this morning as well. Thanks to some awesome friends, I made my goal of finishing without walking! I never thought I would like running, but I can know officially say I do.
  • julest25
    julest25 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

My offiicial run/chip time was 34:28! That's a 11:03/mile pace.... I did better than I thought I did! WOO HOO :-D

Well done! A great achievement!
  • awyler
    awyler Posts: 78
    Options
    congrats!!! running a 5k is such an accomplishment! doesn't it make you feel GREAT? i just did one this weekend and ran my best time.... 29.58. :o) i am so excited because i have real bad tendonitis in my hip and i didnt think i would be able to jog the whole thing! hope everyone continues running and good luck in all your races!!
  • awyler
    awyler Posts: 78
    Options
    Awesome job!!!! I too am a slow runner my fastest race has been 35:15 just last month! I have another on 10/30 that I am excited to do!! Races are addicting!!! LOL!!! Next summer I plan to do one a month. I even plan on running one in Feburary here in Maine!! Brrrr!!!

omg they are so addicting!!!! and there are so many to choose from. im going to try and do one in november and one in december and then im taking a break until it gets warm again. lol good luck on the 30th. im sure you will beat your time!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    awesome job....i can't wait to get through my C25K training and have a "real" race under my belt where i can say i RAN a 5K.....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!