How much do you spend each week on groceries?

Options
12346»

Replies

• kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, how much do you spend each week on groceries?

Before I started eating healthy, I spent about $60 a week. Now it is always at least $100 a week. It is just me and my fiancé..no kids. We eat at home for every single meal, with the exception of a Friday night dinner date. Is this about normal or am I spending way too much?

If it is too much, what are some tips/recipes on how to not spend so much?

I am no good at the price comparison/coupon thing but you would have a coronary if you saw how much my famiy spends on food..I admit, I don't really even want to calculate the real #
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    So, I'm in a particularly expensive part of Canada on an Island so things are ridiculous here, but it costs me and my husband (both mostly paleo, clean eating types) about $200 a week. He eats an insane volume though, so my bill would probably be around 60-80 on my own.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Geez, where do you all shop? I have a spouse & 2 children (ages 8 & 14) and I spend at LEAST $200 per week; I'm not a coupon user.... We eat out about 2-4 meals per month and my kids typically do not bring lunch to school (my husband & I do bring lunch to work). I'm certainly not shopping the most expensive store in town.... Our kids eat what we eat. I think I need to get some pointers from some of you!

I could easily do that but we are on a tight budget. I shop at Costco, Safeway, and Fresh & Easy. I utilize their sales, club sales, online club coupons, printable coupons, and mailer coupons to get the most bang for my buck. I haven't gotten into using manufacture coupons mostly because I don't have the time and don't buy a lot of name brand processed foods.

Oh, I forgot I also shop at Sprouts for inexpensive produce. We also don't eat much meat. I buy a big thing of skinless chicken breasts at Costco a few times a year, and salmon if I can find it on sale.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Ugh...$150 a week for just myself!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    wow some people have generous budgets. I aim for £100-150 per month on main weekly shops then a bit more for things we are running out of. I haven't the money to be 100% healthy but I aim to get better over time.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    About $150 a week. That is for me, hubby, teenage son and 11 year old son. We eat out maybe once a week. That does not count our protein powder which is another $100 a month for 3 of us. I buy TONS of meat and shop all the sales and coupon. I can't get it any lower than that especially when I buy organic produce and free range eggs and etc.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Usually we hit the grocery store a couple times a month and average anywhere between $200 - $400. HOWEVER, this month we've gone once and won't have to go again for at least another month, probably more - and we dropped A TON of money!!!!

First we hit the Berkeley Bowl and got a grocery cart full of fresh veggies and fruits, along with some fish and deli meats. That was almost $300. Then the next day we went to our local grocery store and stocked up on other meats (chicken, turkey, etc.) to store in our freezer and whatever else we needed and spent another $600!!!

This is mainly because everybody likes different things -- what I snack on (edamame, spinach, edamame crackers, virgin olive oil popcorn, Kashi, etc.) - nobody else does.

My son eats Oreos, lots of frozen pizzas, and drinks lots of soda. Neither I nor my husband do.

My husband likes veggies that nobody else eats.

My husband is a professional chef and has very high standards when it comes to food - that's not to say we can't find something good at a cheap market, but he's always willing to pay more if the organic stuff looks better than the regular stuff, or if the higher-end brand really IS better than the cheaper brand, or for "better" cuts of meat. As long as we can afford it, I don't mind.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    Hub and I buy mostly fresh, organic produce and our bill runs between $120 and $170 a week. fluctuation is due to how much free range, humane meat we get and if it is on sale that week. Farmer's market has been great this summer and keeping our costs down but that comes to an end at the end of the month:sad:

this does not include pet food for 1 dog and 2 cats - all premium food to keep their health costs in check. also does not include toiletries which we by at CVS when we get the 25% off coupon.

we also do a garden each summer - peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, herbs (I cook everything from scratch), onions, shallots, broccoli, fennel, radishes, cukes, kale, lettuce, horseradish, and hops for the hubby's home brew.

eat out 2-3 times a week
  • xvintagepearls
    Options
    I spend about $120-$175 per week on groceries for myself.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Probably about $70 just for me with maybe a sushi meal out at the weekend. Pretty expensive I think! It seems that groceries in Canada are way more expensive than in the US or the UK :S
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Around $200 for me and my man. (Includes our weekly takeout night)
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I spend about 600 a month on groceries. I coupon, so I get about 900 in groceries per month

We eat a lot of everything, its 6 of us, 3 adults and 3 garbage disposals (ages 9, 7, 2) and we get a lot of fruits, veggies, meats, cereal, oatmeal and milk.
    No, really.
    Like 3-4 gallons of milk, 6 gallons of water and 4-5 loaves of bread every 2 weeks. And most times it doesnt last 2 weeks.
    And if my 13 yr old sister comes to visit, we go through about a gallon of milk and a gallon of water each day! (those darn teens and their bottomless stomachs! :explode: )

I was so excited when i figured out couponing because it made the necessary room in my budget to get more fresh fruits and veggies and it allowed me to expand my cookbook in such a way that I now make things the kids werent used to like mexican spoon bread, chimichangas, tilapia cakes, etc
  • jjmontero9
    Options
    Hey! This thread has helped me a lot!

I started living alone very recently and I'm feeling tired and hungry all the time, and even a little bit dizzy.
    And I came to the conclusion that I'm not eating enough.

Now I see that the average is between $80 and $120 per week for a single person,
    maybe more if you purchase everything organic...
    but I'm spending way too less than that and of course I'm feeling not too well.

I usually spend around 30 € per week (that's around $40)
    and get some extra meals at fast food restaurants, but that is also not good.
    *I think I'm going to spend more time and money at the supermarket.*

Thanks to you all! :wink:
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hey! This thread has helped me a lot!

I started living alone very recently and I'm feeling tired and hungry all the time, and even a little bit dizzy.
    And I came to the conclusion that I'm not eating enough.

Now I see that the average is between $80 and $120 per week for a single person,
    maybe more if you purchase everything organic...
    but I'm spending way too less than that and of course I'm feeling not too well.

I usually spend around 30 € per week (that's around $40)
    and get some extra meals at fast food restaurants, but that is also not good.
    *I think I'm going to spend more time and money at the supermarket.*

Thanks to you all! :wink:

Yay for you!!!! If you have a local farmer's market, that's another great resource for fresh, organic fruits/veggies. Ours is twice weekly.
  • jhawk84
    Options
    Shizzle! I read through all this food jargon and damn.. eating clean is expensive as fuark! Recently, I've been hammering down about 120 bucks a week and that's just for me. But now I'm cutting, things will be a bit more cheap. Probs back to 60-80 bucks.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    $200-$250 a week, for 2 adults, a teenage athlete, an eight year old, and 11 year old that lives with us halftime. I make practically all meals from scratch, except the kids eat hot lunch probably half of the time. We eat out *maybe* once or twice a month.
    It used to be more, but I was shopping less and a lot was going to waste. I now go every week, usually Friday, and buy very little that isn't built into the meal plan that I write out for the week. It's cut a lot of food and $ waste.
  • jeremyiswin
    Options
    I figure I can make it on about $50 a week. Something I never did before I started my diet was realize how much money I was spending on lunch at work or the convenient trips to McDonalds or Wendy's on my way home. Now that I prepare most of my food I am saving the same amount it takes to feed me that week. $200 savings a month!!!
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Im on a very low budget when it comes to our food.

There is just me and my boyfriend and I go shopping once a week and get $60 dollars worth of groceries. Sometimes Ill have a little extra money and throw that in too!

I shop all the sales and make sure I get the best bang for my buck! =)