PCOS is not an Excuse

Options
Is there anything wrong with this picture?
fusx29.jpg

Personally I see it as a motivator. This woman is showing that having a family is not an excuse to neglect fitness. But she was called everything from condescending, a bully to a bad mom because of this picture. I am a member of a PCOS group on Facebook. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 25. PCOS women have a hard time losing weight and conceiving. I've been there personally. So I get that is can be hard to see a woman who is blessed with children and has a great body. Still I find it so frustrating how so many PCOS women use it as an excuse or a crutch. And not just PCOS women, but many who struggle with weight. We don't have to strive to be this woman or have her body, but what about being our best selves. There is no excuse to stop us from that. One woman in the group wrote, "I've never worn a 2 piece bikini so I know I never will," and another said her hips spread after her baby so it is impossible to get below a size 10 now. Well yes losing weight, getting fit and healthy is hard, but it is not impossible. There's no need to feel jealous of someone else who have been successful or to downplay their hard work by saying things like it was genetics, or I would be that size too if I could afford a nutritionist and a trainer or well her job must not be demanding or well she must be miserable spending that much time working out, I'd rather be happy.

We all can be fit. We all can be healthy. We all can be our best selves if we are willing to put in the work and sweat to get there.

Article about the Controversy

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/23695193/mothers-photo-causes-social-media-controversy

Mom Responds:

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/hot-mom-defends-herself-against-facebook-haters-192149769.html

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    She put that together herself to post on her own FB page? I just think it seems arrogant in that context (but then, maybe her friends list likes her doing that). If her friends like it that's all that matters.

I'm not concerned with anybody else's excuses one way or the other. I'm one of those 'I'd have to walk a mile in your shoes' sort of folks. That probably sounds self-righteous, but it's mainly because I've been really pissed off before by folks who assumed too much about what they thought I could or could not do and why without knowing enough about it.

As an inspirational poster, I think she did well! I just know that I didn't ask her to bring up my excuses or not, lol. I kind of want to tell her to go away more than I'm inspired :D
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Any time I hear a single word against this amazing woman, seriously all I can hear is "Blah, blah, blah, jealous jealous, blah blah, I have low self esteem, blabbity-blah, excuses excuses, blah."
  • cafeaulait7
    Options
    Any time I hear a single word against this amazing woman, seriously all I can hear is "Blah, blah, blah, jealous jealous, blah blah, I have low self esteem, blabbity-blah, excuses excuses, blah."

What is so extraordinary about her that makes you react that way?
  • Jessica_Mujahidah
    Jessica_Mujahidah Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's funny. I have PCOS, am still overweight and have seen this image floating around Facebook. I didn't take offence, in fact, I thought GOOD ON HER. To have three kids so close together and still find the time to work out to achieve that body. Great 'fitspiration'!

As to the title of the post, PCOS is not an excuse to remain overweight. But it is the cause of slow weight loss for people like me. I've lost 25kg in about 15 months with more to go. I don't use PCOS as an excuse, but I do feel like I have to constantly justify my slow weight loss to people, including personal trainers etc who think that I should have lost more by now.

Weight loss isn't a one size fits all approach, and people should refrain from making judgement about other people and their weight loss journey.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    She does look amazing, I get so sick of hearing the excuse, I have kids I can't workout and be healthy. Its bull****! I have PCOS, diagnosed at 20, but I have been dealing with the symptoms since my teenage years. I became overweight during my high school years, and stayed overweight. In my 9 years of marriage, I have had 7 miscarries thus far due to my PCOS, my husband and I's hopes and dreams of starting a family have been shattered, but we still have each other and our feline children. I was comfortable being overweight, I sometimes would try to lose weight but never stuck to anything. When I was 26, my father had a massive heart attack, and freaking Survived! It was a miracle, but it was hell on my emotions, not knowing if he'd make it and watching him while he spent a couple months in the hospital. It made me take a hard look at myself, and my dad surviving this was my motivation to get healthy finally. I'm now 28 and only 13 pounds from a healthy BMI, I'm on medicine for my PCOS, that I had left untreated for years and years. Next year I'm going to try one more time to have a child, If it ends up being miscarry # 8, my husband and I plan on going into foster care. I also plan on getting a tattoo related to PCOS, saying I kicked its *kitten* (still working on the design) as my reward for reaching my GW only 38lbs away! So Yes if I can do it, any-one can do it!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    It's funny. I have PCOS, am still overweight and have seen this image floating around Facebook. I didn't take offence, in fact, I thought GOOD ON HER. To have three kids so close together and still find the time to work out to achieve that body. Great 'fitspiration'!

As to the title of the post, PCOS is not an excuse to remain overweight. But it is the cause of slow weight loss for people like me. I've lost 25kg in about 15 months with more to go. I don't use PCOS as an excuse, but I do feel like I have to constantly justify my slow weight loss to people, including personal trainers etc who think that I should have lost more by now.

Weight loss isn't a one size fits all approach, and people should refrain from making judgement about other people and their weight loss journey.

Yes, I am always having to explain my PCOs to others, whether its the "Why I don't have kids?" question, or the "It's been 22 months, and your not at your GW yet?" question, it can be very frustrating
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    There's a 1000 comment post on this already. I know cause I just finished reading it :laugh:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1118731-why-is-this-even-remotely-controversial?page=3#posts-17330227
  • cafeaulait7
    Options
    There's a 1000 comment post on this already. I know cause I just finished reading it :laugh:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1118731-why-is-this-even-remotely-controversial?page=3#posts-17330227

OMG! Lol. Ok, well I'm out for sure then :) I have no idea why one fit mom would get so many people talking so much. Forget I even answered :D
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

Oh I have to check that out. Even though this woman doesn't have PCOS as far as I know, when I saw it on a PCOS group it reminded me why I no longer frequent those groups. They are depressing and some of the women do use PCOS as an excuse to their weight and health problems. I can't think of a reason to be offended by a fit mother showing her results. If i had 3 kids and her body, I would be doing the same. I realize now that some people are so sensitive or have taken so many hits to their self-esteem that something like this would be taken as a personal jab instead of reason to get off the couch.
  • Sporteee
    Options
    I am so glad I re-read your post. I thought on first read that she is claiming to have PCOS and showing off her fertility which would be in about the worst taste imagineable....

But on re-reading you said she does not have PCOS that you know of...

It is VERY painful to have 8 miscarriages and everything else that goes with PCOS... and anyone who would ever make fun of that is inhuman in my opinion.

I believe that the disease is a "syndrome" and different people have different severities of all the symptoms including insulin resistance.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

What is so extraordinary about her that makes you react that way?

It's not the particular extraordinary-ness (I don't think that's a real word, lol) of her, --though I do think she's fabulous--it's the transparent womp womp-ness of the jealous masses who are railing against her for having *gasp!* SELF CONTROL?? or *scream! the humanity!!* DETERMINATION.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I re-read your post. I thought on first read that she is claiming to have PCOS and showing off her fertility which would be in about the worst taste imagineable....

But on re-reading you said she does not have PCOS that you know of...

It is VERY painful to have 8 miscarriages and everything else that goes with PCOS... and anyone who would ever make fun of that is inhuman in my opinion.

I believe that the disease is a "syndrome" and different people have different severities of all the symptoms including insulin resistance.

Yes it is. I have had 1 miscarriage, still TTC and lose weight myself. Still PCOS is not a reason to be overweight and unhealthy, I guess that is why I was so bothered by so many women bashing this lady in the PCOS group. The first assumption many made is that she is blessed with good genetics and a great metabolism, instead of the fact that she worked hard and made good choices. We can't let PCOS be a crutch preventing us from being fit or an excuse to hate everyone who is.