How many calories to eat back?

Options
I was just wondering how many of my exercise calories I should eat back. Most of my exercise at the moment is walking. I use two different independent GPS tracking programs on my phone to estimate my calorie burn, and always take the lowest of the 2 and I will be starting at the gym for weights this week. My question is, how much of my exercise calories should I be eating back?

To give you a bit of background, I am 26, 5'3 and currently weigh 96.7kg (about 213lbs). I have lost just over 8kg (17.5lbs) in the last 2 months just from walking and eating at a deficit. I have a desk job and a sedentary lifestyle when I don't put n the effort to exercise. My daily calorie goal is 1300, and I stick to this almost all the time.

I usually don't eat any of my exercise calories or if I do, it is usually within 100 calories of my normal goal anyway. I walk an average of 6-10k a day purely for exercise.

I would appreciate any advice :)

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Assuming accurate calorie burn calculation, all of them. That's how this site works.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    try to eat them all back but if you don't feel hungry then its not the biggest deal. I eat all the time and still lose weight. I just eat if I feel hungry and if I still have calories left at the end of the day and I am not hungry, I don't stress about it cuz its not that much only like 150-200 ish. MFP is designed to make sure you eat enough all day therefore they recommend you eat them all.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Go with what your body tells you.

If you are hungry, eat.
    If not, don't.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Assuming accurate calorie burn calculation, all of them. That's how this site works.

I should have explained eating even 3/4 of them back always has me putting on weight...and yes, I make sure I weigh my food
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    try to eat them all back but if you don't feel hungry then its not the biggest deal. I eat all the time and still lose weight. I just eat if I feel hungry and if I still have calories left at the end of the day and I am not hungry, I don't stress about it cuz its not that much only like 150-200 ish. MFP is designed to make sure you eat enough all day therefore they recommend you eat them all.

Because of my weight and the speed I walk, my estimated calories burned is usually more like 800
  • DopeItUp
    Options

I should have explained eating even 3/4 of them back always has me putting on weight...and yes, I make sure I weigh my food

Hence my caveat. You're either overestimating your calorie burn or you're underestimating your food intake (or both). Or your metabolism is suppressed due to a medical issue (highly unlikely). If you're following a sustainable diet (for you) and you're losing a moderate amount of weight consistently then you're right where you want to be. Results always trump calculations.
  • nicoleisback
    Options

Hence my caveat. You're either overestimating your calorie burn or you're underestimating your food intake (or both). Or your metabolism is suppressed due to a medical issue (highly unlikely). If you're following a sustainable diet (for you) and you're losing a moderate amount of weight consistently then you're right where you want to be. Results always trump calculations.

So how do I attempt to accurately calculate my calories in and out? Obviously weighing my food (which I do) is required, but how do I determine correct exercise calculations? I figured two independent programs would work, but I guess not. I have a HRM which I will use when I go to the gym, but it doesn't accurately measure for low intensity stuff like walking. Any resources?

EDIT: I didn't mean to sound as harsh as that came across. I am just wondering if anyone else in this situation knows any resources to accurately track this
  • DopeItUp
    Options

So how do I attempt to accurately calculate my calories in and out? Obviously weighing my food (which I do) is required, but how do I determine correct exercise calculations? I figured two independent programs would work, but I guess not. I have a HRM which I will use when I go to the gym, but it doesn't accurately measure for low intensity stuff like walking. Any resources?

Personally I find my HRM works just fine for walking according to my results. I burn a little less than 100 calories a mile as a 6'3" male (walking quickly, 4mph). I don't know how much 6-10k is but I'm guessing 3-6 miles? At best you're burning probably 300-600 calories, probably less. That's just MY estimate though, there are too many factors to consider to really get a solid calorie burn number.

Anyway, if you could figure out a way to 100% accurately measure calorie burn you would be a millionaire. Everything is an estimate, use those estimates as a guideline and then monitor actual results. Adjust from there. That's the only way to do it.

I'm speaking from the last 2.5 years of trying to find a way to accurate track calories burned. I wish it were possible but it's all a crap shoot. I just use my HRM for cardio and use MFP's calculation for strength training and it comes out close enough, I lose the amount of weight I expect to lose as long as I stick to my goals. Your results may vary, especially as a newbie.
  • nicoleisback
    Options

Personally I find my HRM works just fine for walking according to my results. I burn a little less than 100 calories a mile as a 6'3" male (walking quickly, 4mph). I don't know how much 6-10k is but I'm guessing 3-6 miles? At best you're burning probably 300-600 calories, probably less. That's just MY estimate though, there are too many factors to consider to really get a solid calorie burn number.

Anyway, if you could figure out a way to 100% accurately measure calorie burn you would be a millionaire. Everything is an estimate, use those estimates as a guideline and then monitor actual results. Adjust from there. That's the only way to do it.

I'm speaking from the last 2.5 years of trying to find a way to accurate track calories burned. I wish it were possible but it's all a crap shoot. I just use my HRM for cardio and use MFP's calculation for strength training and it comes out close enough, I lose the amount of weight I expect to lose as long as I stick to my goals. Your results may vary, especially as a newbie.

I find when I use the HRM for walking (which is generally in the cold) it estimates I burn about 20 calories walking 4km (about 2.4miles) which is not right at all.

Today I have walked 8.02km (about 4.9 miles) and both of the programs on my phone have me burning over 600 calories. I know if I ate even 400 of these back, I would be up in weight tomorrow. The most I could get away with would be maybe eating back 200 of these, but that would leave me at about the same weight as today. Does this mean I am only burning 200 calories, or is something else happening? I get that more exercise = more water retention for muscle repair etc, but if the level of exercise is similar every day, I don't understand how this would affect the end result.

I guess I don't expect you to have the answers, I just want to try to understand what is happening
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Eat back enough calories to where you are relatively losing at a rate you chose as your weekly weight loss goal. This, however, relies on how realistic your weight loss goal is. Your trend should mirror the rate of fat loss which is realistic for your body weight and fat mass.
  • sarsons2
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't even worry avbout this.

If you do stuff and you lose weight (and you want to lose weight) then what you are doing is right, so long as the weight loss is not too dramatic.

Me, I NEVER weigh my food, I have just learnt that healthy eating is vital, and I've lost weight, and maintained that loss. I'm eating regularly. I dont weight anything but am always concious of the healthy eating plaste when i cook my food, so that helps with the portion control.

Any exercise i do is just a bonus. I'm not like others on here I dont think cos i just use this site to track my weight loss. I never keep a food or activity diary, so my advice can be totally ignored since my approach is totally different to yours :)
  • CarynMacD
    CarynMacD Posts: 230
    Options
    My HRM only starts calculating Calorie burn when my heart rate reaches 100. It does not calculate if my HR is under 100. This could be why you are getting a false reading.

Also make sure that you wet the strap where it crosses the front of your chest to make sure there is proper contact.

Have you set your stats, age, weight, etc. on the HRM, as this has an impact too.

Just a tip. When I am doing weight training in the gym, I try and keep my HR above 100, so I always start off with a bit of Cardio to get my HR up. I keep an eye on it whilst training and if I see it is dropping too low (usually after about 20minutes, depending on what I am doing), I get onto one of the Cardio machines for 5-10 minutes to get it back up again, and then carry on with my weight training routine.

I'm 44, 5'4.5" (165cm) and currently weigh 152.8 Lbs (69.3 Kgs)

If I run at approximately 8.5km/hour for 40 minutes, my burn is usually around 400 Cals. If I swim for a mile (1600m) alternating between breast stroke and freestyle, breaking for about 30 seconds after every 250m, which takes around 55minutes for me, my burn is about 480 Cal according to my HRM.
  • compgeek812
    compgeek812 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with DopeItUp, you have to take what MFP says as guidelines then adjust for what your body actually does. Unfortunately there are too many variables to accurately say x calories in - y calories out = z pounds lost. If you are finding that eating back 800 calories is causing you to gain, eat less. You really have to make your own observations as to what your body is doing and adjust accordingly.
    I am in the same boat, if I ate the MFP recommended daily intake as well as my exercise calories I would actually be gaining weight. But instead I whittled it down to where I know how many calories I can actually eat and am losing a reasonable amount of weight.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options

I find when I use the HRM for walking (which is generally in the cold) it estimates I burn about 20 calories walking 4km (about 2.4miles) which is not right at all.

Today I have walked 8.02km (about 4.9 miles) and both of the programs on my phone have me burning over 600 calories. I know if I ate even 400 of these back, I would be up in weight tomorrow. The most I could get away with would be maybe eating back 200 of these, but that would leave me at about the same weight as today. Does this mean I am only burning 200 calories, or is something else happening? I get that more exercise = more water retention for muscle repair etc, but if the level of exercise is similar every day, I don't understand how this would affect the end result.

Why not just set your activity level to lightly active and then don't count your walking? Those numbers seem way off.
  • CarynMacD
    Options
    I'd have to agree with DopeItUp, you have to take what MFP says as guidelines then adjust for what your body actually does. Unfortunately there are too many variables to accurately say x calories in - y calories out = z pounds lost. If you are finding that eating back 800 calories is causing you to gain, eat less. You really have to make your own observations as to what your body is doing and adjust accordingly.
    I am in the same boat, if I ate the MFP recommended daily intake as well as my exercise calories I would actually be gaining weight. But instead I whittled it down to where I know how many calories I can actually eat and am losing a reasonable amount of weight.

Yes, I agree. All of our bodies are different and one just has to figure out what works for you. But don't stress over it. You will get to know what works best for you and what doesn't work over time. Just keep recording what you are doing and tweek it along the way.
  • CarynMacD
    Options

Why not just set your activity level to lightly active and then don't count your walking? Those numbers seem way off.

Yep. Just being alive for those Kilometres you've walked burns more than 20 Cals. :bigsmile:

ETA: Check that your batteries in your HRM are not going flat. Worn batteries gives false readings too.
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Eating back somewhere between 50-75% seems to be more accurate for me. Mostly because MFP overestimates a lot of things, as do other programs, while still others underestimate majorly. I just did 30 mins on the elliptical. MFP puts that at 454, my machine put it at less than 100! Heart rate calculation puts it at ~250. Watt calculation puts it at ~200. So, I tend to go with somewhere around the Watt/HR numbers as those seem most likely to be accurate.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    Today I have walked 8.02km (about 4.9 miles) and both of the programs on my phone have me burning over 600 calories. I know if I ate even 400 of these back, I would be up in weight tomorrow.

That doesn't make any sense at all. If you really burned 600 calories, you could eat all of them back and COULD NOT gain any actual weight because you would still be under your maintenance. That's why you do cardio and that why you state your burn after all, to add those calories to your daily goal & be able to eat more.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    Eat back enough calories to where you are relatively losing at a rate you chose as your weekly weight loss goal. This, however, relies on how realistic your weight loss goal is. Your trend should mirror the rate of fat loss which is realistic for your body weight and fat mass.

All of this.