Whats Up with Tea??

Options
Okay I have heard a lot of MFP users talk about Tea. What do you drink and why?? I had heard some has metabolism benefits. Is this true? Is there caffeine involved?? I love tea especially when it is cooler out. Fill me in.

Replies

• KittyCathy
    KittyCathy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    im not sure about metabolism benefits but i drink diet snapple peach flavor tea because it is calorie free and tastes better than water and only has 10 sodium : ]
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Clinical trials conducted by the University of Geneva and the University of Birmingham indicate that green tea raises metabolic rates, speeds up fat oxidation and improves insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance.[19] In addition to caffeine, green tea contains catechin polyphenols that raise thermogenesis (the production of heat by the body), and hence increases energy expenditure.

There is also a suggestion that it can increase endurance in exercise by improving fat metabolism
  • MommyOfThree260
    Options
    I started MFP last Monday, and when I started I was drinking diet mountain dew constantly (5-6 a day easily). The main reason was for the energy I got from the caffeine, so I started browsing around for other things I could try instead of drinking so much pop. I've never been a tea drinker, but I did find Crystal Light Metabolism Green Tea Peach Mango packets to add to my water bottles. Each packet has 10 cals and I use about 2 a day, and can also count in my water intake. It has made an amazing difference for me in a week already. I still feel energized--school full-time, work part-time, and single mom of 3, I need all the energy I can. And the best thing is I haven't even had a craving for pop. Its only been a week, but it has helped me a great deal so far. It only has 10 mg of sodium, and within just 4 days, I already lost 4 pounds! I'm looking forward to weighing myself tomorrow to see how much of a difference it has made in one week. Good luck to you!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Pu-Erh and Oolong tea are two chinese teas that help and so does mangosteen tea--Stash carries this last one.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I drink really strong black and green tea. It's full of antioxidants and natural caffeine. I just sweeten it with splenda and lots of ice
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Caffeine free teas like raspberry and peppermint can also have benefits: both can help with nausea and digestion (I used both when I was pregnant to help with these problems). I've heard that licorice tea can also help with constipation and that there are other teas on the market specifically designed to address this issue. I haven't tried green tea yet, but have heard great things.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Green Tea is said to increase your Metabolism. =)

Not due to Caffeine, just because of the antioxidants and other minerals found in it.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Just starting green tea in pill form. We shall see :-) Have to say that my Good Earth Caffeine free original in Sweet & Spicy is my FAVORITE appetite suppressor for nighttime "snacking" problem.
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I drink hot tea only. I usually drink honey vanilla chamomile tea, vanilla nut black tea with almond milk, peppermint green teas, caramel nut moose munch black tea, (I know, funny name)...and a bunch more. I don't know about the benefits though. I just love them. Hmmm, in fact, I am going to make a cuppa now :)