Wheat Belly

Options
Has anyone out there read this book by Dr. William Davis and/or followed its principles of eliminating wheat from your diet? If so, what is your experience? I have a friend who swears by it and I see it is highly recommended on Amazon. But it means a complete overhaul of my diet which is a good thing?!?

Would be interested to hear from anyone who tried it?

:indifferent:

Replies

• doloressavage
    doloressavage Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your friend is right. I took wheat out of my diet on June 1st of this year and I have lost 38 lbs. to date and it has lowered my blood sugar levels to normal.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Personally, I avoid any fad diets, especially those that involve removing entire food types from your life. Unless there is a medical reason to cut out wheat, it just seems like an unnecessary and expensive restriction to place on yourself. Weight loss comes from eating less calories than you burn. The reason gluten-free and low carb diets have success is because they inherently prevent you from eating some of the worst offenders of high calories foods that don't keep you full (like pasta and bread). It isn't the wheat that is the problem nor is cutting it out what makes you drop weight.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a proven allergy to wheat/gluten there is no reason to cut it from your diet.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a proven allergy to wheat/gluten there is no reason to cut it from your diet.
    QFT!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I did gluten free for 6 weeks when I thought it would help a pre-diagnosed medical issue. I didn't lose any weight. Why? Because I wasn't at a calorie deficient. And I wanted pizza, all the time.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Propaganda.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You're way behind. The whole premise has pretty much been put to rest as trash. Unless you have a wheat allergy/sensitivity there is no reason to cut it out of your diet and the only reason you would lose weight is because if you cut out bread, pasta, etc you've cut a big chunk of calorie laden foods from your diet.

Wheat belly is so 2012, the new fad is the 5:2 diet.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I did it for a while. But I couldnt afford the gluten free products (that tasted like crap anyways) and wheat replacements are very expensive and only sold in tiny packages, so it was impossible for me to maintain. I didnt lose any weight and I was grumpy all the time.
  • ekvandyke
    Options
    If you think you are sensitive to wheat or gluten, it may be worth eliminating them for three weeks and then slowly reintroducing to see how you feel (change in weight, puffiness in face and limbs, headaches, etc.). If you are sensitive, or even allergic, you could lose weight by reducing any inflammation. If you don't have a sensitivity, you probably won't see a difference in the scale.

As someone who has to stay off gluten (Celiac), if you don't have to avoid wheat and gluten, it makes life so much easier.

Either way, good luck!
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I do so and I love it!

It changes everything, even if its a little hard at the beginning.
    If you wanne know more, feel free to contact me.