Confused by all the Weight Loss ideas

mom2jj
mom2jj Posts: 12 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi all,
I need to lose about 20 lbs. I have lost weight before with Weight Watches but that was before I was 40. Now I am 48 and the weight just does not want to come off. I am so confused by all the information out there I don't know who to believe or where to start. Do I try counting points again with WW? Do I count calories on MFP? Do I eat 1200 calories a day as MFP gives me or do I eat 1500 a day because 1200 is too little and my body will hold onto the weight? Do I go no carb, low carb and follow a plan like Jorge Cruise? Do I eat green drinks? HELP! I have tried all the above and I really haven't had great success with any lately. I know I need to find something and stick with it but I get discouraged if I don't see results. I do exercise regularly so I know it is the food I need to control in some way. And I do eat healthy 85% of the time; chicken, veggies, salad, eggs, fage yogurt, fruit. Any suggestions for me?

Replies

• featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Keep it simple. Small changes. Create a caloric deficit and you'll lose. You can do that by counting calories, carbs or points, as long as you're sensible about WHAT you eat, which it sounds like you are.

With 20lbs to lose, you don't need to go drastic. Make changes you can maintain long term (hummus for ranch dip, take the stairs, cut out a 100 calorie snack somewhere, etc.)

It's really not complicated. And if it is, you're doing it wrong! ;)

Best of luck!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    I suggest you stick to MFP, it's easy, it's free, and it works. But the only factor standing the way of it working is you. First, you need to get our of your head that 48 is too "old" to lose weight. People can lose at any age, it just requires some patience, consistancy and persistence.

Before you start anything, take pictures and measurements. They weigh much more heavily than a number on a scale. Take more every two weeks for comparison. You'll be more motivated by those changes than a slow moving scale.

I suggest you going to and finding a TDEE & BMR calculator, eat somewhere between those two numbers, every day. Work out 4-5 times a week (mix of cardio and weights) (either don't count the calories burned or record the burn as 1-5 calories so you don't eat them back). Avoid the scale for a month. Please don't think you are eating too much, trust the process. Set your macros to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat and try and stick to them (the only thing I try to go over is protein, it keeps me sane and full). You may not lose it fast, but you'll lose it and you'll learn little habits and tricks of the trade that will help you keep those 20 pounds off in the future. Because, coming from someone who's been there, maintanance is harder than losing. Don't be in a rush to get there!

Good luck, hon. I believe in you.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I found that there is a learning curve, and I had to find what was best for me and my lifestyle via trial and error over time. Basically, I took the most sensible components of various weight loss methods and combined them. I know how you feel. I am a perfectionist about most things, and it drove me crazy not to get it all right in the very beginning. Just be patient, and you will get there! :)
  • I suggest you stick to MFP, it's easy, it's free, and it works. But the only factor standing the way of it working is you. First, you need to get our of your head that 48 is too "old" to lose weight. People can lose at any age, it just requires some patience, consistancy and persistence.

Before you start anything, take pictures and measurements. They weigh much more heavily than a number on a scale. Take more every two weeks for comparison. You'll be more motivated by those changes than a slow moving scale.

I suggest you going to and finding a TDEE & BMR calculator, eat somewhere between those two numbers, every day. Work out 4-5 times a week (mix of cardio and weights) (either don't count the calories burned or record the burn as 1-5 calories so you don't eat them back). Avoid the scale for a month. Please don't think you are eating too much, trust the process. Set your macros to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat and try and stick to them (the only thing I try to go over is protein, it keeps me sane and full). You may not lose it fast, but you'll lose it and you'll learn little habits and tricks of the trade that will help you keep those 20 pounds off in the future. Because, coming from someone who's been there, maintanance is harder than losing. Don't be in a rush to get there!

Good luck, hon. I believe in you.

I second this wholeheartedly. BMR and TDEE are the best ways to know what you should eat if you want to stay the same or lose weight. Try http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to work out those figures. You'll get three Numbers

BMR: How much your body would burn doing nothing: like if you were in a coma.
    TDEE: How much your body burns doing all your daily activities and exercise.
    Weight loss goal: You chose how quickly you want to lose weight (ie. a 5, 10, 15 or 20% reduction in calories) and it tells you how much to eat. Mine came out at 1850 and doing that I've lost around 33 lbs so far.

You'll get there, keep going and if you need support just message!!

Lauren
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    You don't have to follow a "plan" unless it's for a health reason like diabetes. Plans are usually money makers and often cherry pick research. Figure out what is healthy for you. So count your calories or points or whatever and take your time to lose those 20 lb. In my opinion, and that's what it is, an opinion, you'll be happier if you create a small deficit and learn how to sustain that weight loss in the long run.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    If your only goal is weight loss, just starve yourself. If you want to get healthy and fit, spend 30 minutes 3 ties a week in the gym, running, biking, swimming, or at least walking. Count your calories, dump the junk food, and learn about food that is good for you and you'll win.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    If you've gotten 1200 for a daily goal, it's likely that you were unrealistic with setting your weekly weight loss. With 20 pounds to lose, make sure your weekly weight loss goal is set to 1/2 a pound per week, 1 pound at the very most. Also make sure that your activity level is correct. Most go with sedentary because they have a desk job but are you really sitting that much? Maybe you should be lightly active instead as I believe many of us are.

Also make sure that you eat back earned calories from exericse. You'll read on the board that many listings are overestimated and that may worry you but that doesn't mean you should avoid them altogether. If you want to be cautious, eat back at least half to 2/3rds as that would cover the general overestimates.

In the end, try not to overthink it too much. Eat the foods you like, just make sure you eat them in proper portions and make them fit into your daily goal. Weighing and measuring foods can help a lot as well since many of us tend to underestimate our intake.

Good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Your post is full of drastic changes to get short-term results - that's what you need to get away from.
    All you need is a subtle shift in your calorie balance and you will steadily lose weight.

Normal food in smaller quantities plus being more active will gain you good steady progress that will be easy to maintain. If it takes 20 or even 40 weeks to lose 20lbs so what?

You're 48 and finding it hard - don't be a dummy like me and wait until your 50's and then realise that no-one but yourself is stuffing more food into your cake-hole than you actually need.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Weight loss has nothing to do with age.

You have two options here:

1) Use MFP, set your goal to 1lb a week loss, use the sedentary setting, and log and eat back your exercise calories.

2) Work out your the TDEE method using this site: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    Be honest about your activity level and eat what they recommend to lose 1lb a week, but DO NOT eat back your exercise calories.

Both of these methods should work out to be pretty much the same calorie amount. TDEE method is better if your exercise tends to be the same week by week. MFP works better if your exercise routine varies.

If you do choose the eat back method, I'd recommend investing in a heart rate monitor for more accurate calorie burns.

ETA: Whatever option you pick, you need to stick it out to see if it works! Patience is probably one of the most important things with losing weight. If you aren't prepared to be patient, you are setting yourself up for failure from the start.
  • weaving2fast
    weaving2fast Posts: 64 Member
    Agreed that simple is the way to go. I tried NutriSystem and a little bit of everything. I like being accountable to myself and others on MFP. All I'm doing is cutting calories, eating low carb, and daily cardio of at least 45 minutes. Yes I know what sounds simple isn't. I'm sore, hungry, and crave anything and everything. It's working though. Good luck!
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    you need to create a calorie deficit. What goes in has to be less than what goes out. It's simple math. The method you choose to create the deficit matters very little.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    If your only goal is weight loss, just starve yourself. If you want to get healthy and fit, spend 30 minutes 3 ties a week in the gym, running, biking, swimming, or at least walking. Count your calories, dump the junk food, and learn about food that is good for you and you'll win.

You don't need to join a gym to run, bike or walk, you can do this without paying a gym membership.

I've done all my working out at home for over 2 years, I've only joined a gym recently as I can't progress with lifting any more at home as I don't currently have space for a squat rack/bench.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Track your calories.. Set your MFP to lose either .5 or 1lb a week since you dont have much to lose. I need to lose 16 more lbs and I have mine set to .5lb it allows me to eat more calories while still losing at a slower pace.

I use the MFP app on my phone on the computer. I love the app and the barcode scanner makes it easier to record meals.

Get a food scale so you can weigh your food.. It is hard to judge serving sizes by eyesight alone. I was really surprised how much or how little a pasta serving actually is.

Thats really all thats to it.

Drink water. It really helps with water retention.

Also you can still have treats while on this plan. You just have to plan for them and have a smaller serving than you were probably used to before. For ex. I still eat ice cream but I only eat one scoup instead of 3. Small changes like that adds up.

But what really helps is using this site to track all your calories.
  • I'll distill it down for you. Barring preexisting medical conditions and/or other issues it is simple calories in vs. calories out.

So make a lifestyle you like and then live it within your "budget".

Start with TDEE. I have found TDEE to be pretty close to accurate for most people, and TDEE - 20% works for most people.

I prefer the lifestyle option, so if you like that idea too enter your current age, but your goal weight when calculating your TDEE. There is no "diet" and "maintenance" phase. Just living your ultimate lifestyle. RIGHT NOW! TODAY! THIS VERY SECOND! *or at least giving it yoru best effort within physical and financial limitations*

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I work it twice since I am either a complete lazy butt or super energetic. That way I have one goal for lazy days and another for my busy days. You know yourself, and the lifestyle you want. Do it your way.

Say your TDEE is 2000 at your goal weight.

Then just use that budget to "buy" food, and fill your day the way you prefer to eat, following your natural activity cycle.

If you love toast and jam with a cup of tea for breakfast DO IT! (Just weigh and measure everything so you get the most for you calories)

Prefer a glass of wine while gardening for a few hours. DO IT! (Seriously. No judgments.)

Planning a little staycation? Want to climb mountains? Jump out of airplanes? Relax on teh beach? Have a thing for bacon? Despise pie crust and frosting? Think Brussel sprouts are little green demons and kale is king?

The weight will come off eventually. Fluctuations will happen. Your interests will change. But the basics are still there.

ETA: You may find looking at your weekly consumption and burn useful.
  • mom2jj
    mom2jj Posts: 12 Member
    Thank you all so much for the advice. I feel confident I can do this!
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Yes you can! Your body is a machine, you just have to learn how to run it ;) Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.