Restart today but worried about stuff.

Options
Hello everyone.
I've had my weigh in today and as I suspected, my 'blips' have affected me and I've gained so I'm having a complete restart today.
I've struggled this week as my son has been poorly and not at school so I've been home and haven't even managed to hit 8000 steps each day. I can't get out to the store so am having to make do with what food I have in the house so using my frozen stocks and don't have the normal range of fruit and veg.
MFP tells me I need to have 1200 per day which some days seems very hard to keep to.
I'd like to start 30 day shred but I'm nervous I won't be able to do it and I need to be careful I don't antagonise my C section scar or foot injury.
If anyone has any hints and tips, I'd certainly appreciate them!
Many thanks. x

Replies

• Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    You just gotta try and see how you go. With the 30 day shred, just take it slow and go from there. If you can't push to hard then don't, just do what you can do. With the diet. Is it hard to keep to as in you eat below or you eat over?
  • floridachristmas
    Options
    I tend to be feast or famine and I genuinely think I've given myself some serious issues. It's like, 10 cals OVER 1200 makes me feel like I failed so I'll binge. But if I'm really low I think I'll stay as low as possible and eat something stupid like 500 cals and be hungry and grumpy.
    I need to get to some middle ground so I can make this a life change and not a mad sprint! x
  • floridachristmas
    Options
    Did about 12 mins and pulled my C section doing the crunches. Ouch.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If you feel like 1200 is too low, it probably is! Change your calorie allowance. Instead of setting it to 2lbs per week, look at 0.5-1lb max. That will give you more calories to play with (and somewhere to go should your weight loss stall in the future - cutting cals lower than 1200 would make you miserable!). MFP cannot predict how many lbs you will lose accurately, and you may find that even with a smaller deficit you will be able to lose quite consistently and perhaps more than the prediction. I sure did!

Like you say, this is not a mad sprint. This needs to be a sustainable change. Don't set yourself up for failure.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you have your section? It would be wise to be signed off by a doctor and get the ok to do abdominal exercises before you try crunches.

I had a section and ended up with an infection and it was a good 6 months before I could do sit ups.

With the calories, 1200 is the absolutely lowest most people should go. Don't freak out if you go over that. Many many people will still lose weight at a good rate eating much higher calories than that.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Height/weight? What is your bmr? I was doing 1200 for a while and my weight loss stopped! So I calculated my bmr and its 1900, plus I exercise. So I changed my calorie goals and my weight loss has been jump started again. We'll see how it goes, but from my experience and what I've read on mfp and other forums, I think 1200 is too low.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If your c-section is recent, skip intensive abs and just concentrate on moving and fat burning. If its over a year, go to the Dr and get it checked out!

See if you can get hold of some Rosemary Conley DVDs - they break into short sections, and the 7-day slimdown even has a chair routine for if you can't move much.

Also up your calories a bit as others have said - if set at 1lb a week loss and still given 1200 as a daily allowance, try moving to 1300 or 1400 and see what that does. If you have small children you'll be using mroe calories than you think just dealing with their needs!
  • floridachristmas
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the replies. I shall definitely alter my goals and really try to get out of this horrid mindset!
    My C section was actually 10 years ago but the surgeon made a few rather nasty errors which we've been trying to get rectified ever since but have given up fighting as it was just so upsetting. Looks like we have to pay to have it fixed privately!
    Thanks again everyone. Truly appreciated. xxxx
  • vaenillea
    Options
    Honestly, 30 day shred seems nothing after a week and it is doable by anyone of any sizes (I am severely overweight, by the way). I've seen an obese girl do it so can you. You can endure it. So don't be scared. You won't lose weight by being scared. :)
  • floridachristmas
    Options
    Thank you. I'm going to try again later if I can otherwise I'll try again tomorrow but I'm just having a google to see if there is a way I can do the crunches without pulling my C section. I'm walking around bent nearly double whilst I wait for it to loosen up again! Silly me...... :(
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey! I don't know what you need or what will work for you, but in the past I tried to figure out diet and exercise at the same time and failed horribly. What's really worked for me this time around is taking it one step at a time.

Since diet is truly the most important part, I really recommend that you focus on that first--especially if other problems are complicating exercise for you. Re-evaluate your goals, as others have said--make sure you get a minimum of 1200 calories a day. More might be better for you too, depending on your needs, but work on getting at least that 1200 in. Also remember that calorie counting is a best-guess estimate, and being 10 calories over is not a problem. You're trying to get as close to your goal calories as possible, and 10 over is *much* better than 700 under.

Just from my perspective, I'd focus on getting that figured out and then adding additional exercise into the mix. You can lose weight and be healthier just from an improved diet to start.
  • floridachristmas
    Options
    Wow! What a difference a day makes! I lowered my target of 'to lose' each week and got my cals to eat. That meant I just concentrated on eating some good food rather than the lowest calorie I could find, which in turn meant that I enjoyed my meals and ate well, so I'm not constantly waiting for my next meal.
    I (for the first time) used my UP to log activity and literally, every chance I've got I've jogged on the spot which of course got my steps up and my exercise rate - and of course my heart rate.
    So, I've actually ended up eating 1213 cals and I've got a fair few to play with so if I fancy anything later with a movie, I can have some rice crackers and a low fat hot choc or something.
    I'm not sure if it's bad to eat carbs past a certain time, I know there are all manner of theories, but for now I figure I just need to get my head in the right place and make the changes as I go along.
    Thanks for all your help and support.
    x