Elliptical vs Treadmill

Options
2»

Replies

• candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    I can burn more calories on a treadmill but because of the higher impact on my joints, I can't go as long.
  • thatdude3
    Options
    I think it is personal preference. I prefer the treadmill and find I burn more on that than on an elliptical. Typically 40 minutes on the treadmill at 4.5 mph and a 15% incline is about 750 calories for me. It seems like the key to burning more on the treadmill is increasing the incline.

You can compare calories burned by exercise here : http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned_list.asp

It isn't 100 percent accurate, I have found it to be a little on the low side when I compare it to my HRM
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I think the elliptical is far better than the treadmill providing you have the resistance set high enough that you have to work to move them. to me it feels like i am trying to go thru sand when i have it on level 9)

But if you are looking to lean out your legs i would go for the bike as well. The bike is great for that. Again....up the resistance
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Skip both and opt for the Adaptive Motion Trainer (AMT).......AWESOME and burns calories like crazy!!!
  • weaving2fast
    weaving2fast Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    When I first joined the gym I tried the elliptical. The motion was awkward for me. I thought it might just be new so I tried and tried then tried again. I found myself hopping off of it and on the treadmill. I'm sure the workout is slightly better but not if you don't stay on it. I can burn just as many calories if not more on the treadmill with the incline and pushing myself.