Healthier cheat meals

Options
Prob staying in this weekend but fancy a healthy cheat meal...if that makes sense.

Throw some ideas at me! Generally protein high. I'm tempted to just have a steak but ideas would be helpful too!

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Steak isn't really a cheat meal. You can find fairly lean pieces of steak and still have a good healthy meal.

I don't believe in "cheat" meals. I believe in just living life and making good choices. If there were a "healthy cheat meal" I would think some type of made over comfort food...like healthier Mac and Cheese, or Healthier Lasagna, stuff like that.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Well...the steak would be fine...it's what I choose to go with it!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Steak isn't really a cheat meal. You can find fairly lean pieces of steak and still have a good healthy meal.

I don't believe in "cheat" meals. I believe in just living life and making good choices. If there were a "healthy cheat meal" I would think some type of made over comfort food...like healthier Mac and Cheese, or Healthier Lasagna, stuff like that.

this.

I eat steak all the time when I'm cutting.

As far as "cheat meals" go I'll typically load up on some mac and cheese or find a semi decent tub of ice cream to eat.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    I also eat steak....but as I mentioned...it's what I choose to go with it! If I'm eating cleaner ill just have spinach and other veg...as opposed to a baked potato or chips (fries)! This is why I'm looking for suggestions to have other things. Was maybe thinking some sort of pizza or maybe Mexican!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Think of whatever fast food or takeaway you *would* like, and make that meal at home.

For example, I really fancy something like KFC tonight, so I'm going to make a chicken ciabatta sandwich with oven baked hashbrowns and salad!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Agreed! Steak is a healthy main dish and it's so delicious! A "healthy cheat meal" sounds like an oxymoron, but I get what you're saying. :flowerforyou:

Since you've already decided on steak, maybe use it to make steak fajitas. Or if you're looking for a side dish, quinoa mac & cheese or mashed potatoes sound good to me. Homemade chili with a dollop of sour cream is one of my favorite healthy comfort foods. Otherwise, I would save the calories for a decadent dessert.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    Just to say I'm in the UK....Mac and Cheese is such an American thing!!! I don't really able much love for it as its so sickly! Steak fajitas sound good though!

Also what is Quark?
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    "when I have a cheat day I eat for myself and half of Africa"

lol

no....and yer agree steak is a "regular" meal.

piece of pizza??
    lasagne
    doner?
    spaghetti with something
  • eksproductions
    eksproductions Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Agreed! Steak is a healthy main dish and it's so delicious! A "healthy cheat meal" sounds like an oxymoron, but I get what you're saying. :flowerforyou:

Since you've already decided on steak, maybe use it to make steak fajitas. Or if you're looking for a side dish, quinoa mac & cheese or mashed potatoes sound good to me. Homemade chili with a dollop of sour cream is one of my favorite healthy comfort foods. Otherwise, I would save the calories for a decadent dessert.

Have a recipe for quinoa mac & cheese?!
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    I feel guilty if I call it a cheat meal lol.. but yes.. steak and potatoes!!!!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong with steak and potatoes right?

Take 2 russet potatoes and cut them into 8 wedges each. Arrange on baking sheets and spray with olive oil cooking spay. Turn and coat other side as well.

In a ziploc bag combine 5 tablespoons of parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Then in batches, put the wedges into the bag, seal and shake.

Roast in a 375 degree oven for 40-50 minutes, flipping half way through.

Then just round out the meal with a salad or something.

ETA: This recipe above serves 4 people.
    Also, you can sub the spray out and just do a quick dunk of the wedges in water. But if you do that, spray the baking sheets or they will stick.
  • asummersbreeze
    asummersbreeze Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Something I love to eat is Chick Fil A ...Filet.. just a spicy filet without the bread... and I like to cut it up and top my salad with it ( Side Salad from Chick Fil A) .. then add some salad dressing of your choice I like the ceaser but they do not carry that one anymore... so I think I do the Asian one... this is a great cheat meal.. not only is it effortless lol but wow it really taste so good and if you really want to cheat get Spicy 2 filets .. Im sorry but I have done the 2 Spicy filets and I just love them .. I only eat the spicy ones haha :laugh: :laugh: .. oh well just a thought !!! Wish I knew why my ticker does not show up... :(
  • Trisha_Williams
    Trisha_Williams Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump. those potatoes sound scrummy:flowerforyou:
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Steak fajitas sound amazing, or steak and sweet potato fries baked in the oven?
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Have a recipe for quinoa mac & cheese?!

http://www.food.com/recipe/quinoa-mac-and-cheese-478620

(secret tip: add a hint of nutmeg :drinker: )