Protein powder scoop question

Options
Okay, Newbie at the protein shake thing.

The label says one scoop is 47g. Not seeing any scoop in my giganto protein container, I used the scoop for my baby's formula and used a scale. One of those scoops weighed 8g.

So how big is a scoop supposed to be (approximately) volume wise?

Replies

• phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    1. The scoop is probably buried in the powder unless its one of the few brands that make you buy one separately.

2. Don't use volume measurements, why complicate things when you already know the serving/calories in grams.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Well, wasn't planning on measuring via volume. Was just rying to see what an eyeball portion size is supposed to look like. I do use my scale, but after weighing a scoop I started to doubt myself.
  • teea77
    teea77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can bring you a scoop on Sunday. I think they are a Tablespoon. The scoops in my herbalife shakes look like the size for coffee way bigger than what I remember formula being.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Tried to help with a pic... but can't get one to load.
  • FitFunTina
    Options
    I can bring you a scoop on Sunday. I think they are a Tablespoon. The scoops in my herbalife shakes look like the size for coffee way bigger than what I remember formula being.

I don't drink coffee unless it's starbucks lattes lol. (So wouldn't know what a coffee scoop looks like).

I was just surprised when I weighed it out this morning. :) Like a "I don't think I want a full serving of that!" size.
  • rachelclayton
    rachelclayton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weighed my full scoop & it was 20g
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1. The scoop is probably buried in the powder unless its one of the few brands that make you buy one separately.

2. Don't use volume measurements, why complicate things when you already know the serving/calories in grams.

this. well except for # 2 I always just use my scoop because I'm a lazy fat slow

but yes... 1. there is a scoop in there- (unless someone had it before you)- it's just at the bottom/middle.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

this. well except for # 2 I always just use my scoop because I'm a lazy fat slow

but yes... 1. there is a scoop in there- (unless someone had it before you)- it's just at the bottom/middle.

Yep, it's in there.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I just unburied mine from my Trutein peanut butter cup! Bahaha. I'm a tad ocd though, so I've been using my digital scale for it.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I don't drink coffee unless it's starbucks lattes lol. (So wouldn't know what a coffee scoop looks like).

I was just surprised when I weighed it out this morning. :) Like a "I don't think I want a full serving of that!" size.

IMG_6160_WEB.jpg

A 47 gram scoop of protein powder is pretty sizable. I'm no baker, but I'd say, like 1/4 - 1/3 of a cup, something like that. I imagine many of the different companies have similar products, and the amount of protein per serving they advertise, is just dependent on the recommended serving ( scoop ) size.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If there really isn't a scoop in there, use a 1/4 measuring cup and just weigh it.

Had to start weighing mine as a serving of my protein powder is 37g, but when I scoop it, it can weight well over 50g.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's all over the place. The one I use has a 24.5g serving size (really), that's 2 scoops, but 2 scoops give me 20g.
  • FitFunTina
    Options
    These protein powder companies can learn something from the baby formula industry. Some of the companies are starting to attach their scoop to the seal inside the lid.

:)

I will continue to weigh my portions. My shake this morning was quite yummy!!!
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    And to make matters even more confusing - a scoop, by weight, is level for some companies, while for others it is a heaping scoop.
    Always weigh or you could be getting more or less calories and protein than you think.

I use the scoop (or a spoon if I haven't unburied the scoop yet) and pour the powder into the blender bottle sitting on the tared scale.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So how big is a scoop supposed to be (approximately) volume wise?

70 ml typically
  • cpsf73
    cpsf73 Posts: 27
    Options
    I've tried a lot of different brands of protein powder, and the scoop sizes vary depending on the brand. Usually, a level scoop is a serving, but sometimes it's a heaping scoop. On very rare occasions, the scoop isn't even helpful. The scoop that came with the protein powder I'm using now is too large for half a serving, but too small to hold 1 serving. I find that weighing out the powder is so much better.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I have only used one brand and I loved it so much I didn't have to try any others. It's Giant Sports brand and when I do a level scoop it is usually within a couple of grams of the 37 gram serving size or it's spot on so I don't usually weigh it out anymore. The scoop is buried about 3/4 of the way down under all that powder. I save the scoop from my previous container and use it until I happen across the scoop in the new container.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13002300

(don't pay more than 29.99)!