Calorie deficit

Options
Hi guys I need your help understanding cal deficit.This is my question , my daily cal intake is 1,440 according to MFP.I need to know if I should eat 500 cals less from my total or eat all 1,440 cals per day.

Replies

• ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    your calorie deficit is built in you need to eat the whole amount mfp has set for you :)
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Eat all 1440 and exercise calories-MFP already built in your deficit.
  • Ottawa_Randy
    Ottawa_Randy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I set my MFP number as my target.
    I was not losing as quickly as I should have been so changed my lifestyle setting to sedintary (sit in a chair much of the day) and get my workouts/sports in as well. I also set my weight loss target to 2 pounds/week.
    I am almost always under my target at end of day. Still feel great and moving lower carb as well since that seems to work best for me and diminish any cravings.
    I have a dietBet running for October so I needed the extra incentive.
  • KMclymont
    Options
    Thank you guys
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I set my MFP number as my target.
    I was not losing as quickly as I should have been so changed my lifestyle setting to sedintary (sit in a chair much of the day) and get my workouts/sports in as well. I also set my weight loss target to 2 pounds/week.
    I am almost always under my target at end of day. Still feel great and moving lower carb as well since that seems to work best for me and diminish any cravings.
    I have a dietBet running for October so I needed the extra incentive.

^ ^ Not good advice for the original poster (newbie) ....but you're on a deadline

"Healthy" weight loss goals - pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range

To OP: Healthy weight loss is NOT fast weight loss. Healthy weight loss is about losing fat and keeping muscle. That's why MFP will "add back" exercise calories. The 1440 includes the deficit already .....but ZERO exercise is factored in.

Large deficits do not support lean muscle mass well.
  • KMclymont
    Options
    TeaBea I do exercise, walk atleast 10,000 steps per day and also do cardio 3x per wk for 45 min.I also wear a heart rate monitor but find it a bit difficult to put in my activity cal burn, so I don't eat back cals burn because I am not sure if the cals are correct.....thnks for your input.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    TeaBea I do exercise, walk atleast 10,000 steps per day and also do cardio 3x per wk for 45 min.I also wear a heart rate monitor but find it a bit difficult to put in my activity cal burn, so I don't eat back cals burn because I am not sure if the cals are correct.....thnks for your input.

Calorie burns from steps are very hard to measure because walking speeds can vary and you already get credit for some steps in your activity level. If your activity level is set to sedentary then you might want to up it ....this will give you a 100+ more calories a day ....not real major

<5000 steps/day may be used as a sedentary lifestyle
    5000-7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity might be considered low active
    7500-9999 likely includes some volitional activities considered somewhat active
    10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as active
    >12500 steps/day are likely to be classified as highly active

Other cardio is best measured with a heart rate monitor .....so you have a pretty good estimate there. You would log that under excercise - cardiovascular....the catogories are real basic.....general aerobics, dancing, etc. You can over ride the calories and plug in what your HRM gives you.

Because calorie burns can be off - many people start by eating a portion of their calories back....say 60% ....then if you are not losing...you can cut it back further, or if you are fatigued ....you can increase the percent.