light weights more reps?

Options
I've been working out with weights to tone up my arms, however I feel my muscles are getting bigger than I had hoped. I want tone lean arms, not bulky. I only use 8 pound weights and do a couple sets of 20 for triceps, biceps, and shoulders. Is this too big of a weight? If so, what pound weight should I use and how many more reps should I do? I also do cardio as well, but my arm muscles are still too big.

Replies

• GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound too heavy really.. Are you losing weight currently or maintaining or what...?
  • rockstar2b66
    Options
    I've got a couple more pounds to lose. I know it's not that heavy but my muscles are responding very quickly to it. And for lean arms I've heard that light weights are better but 5 or 3 pounds just sounds so light. I feel like I wouldn't get any kind of tone. Though I've never tried it, so I'm not saying it wouldn't work.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Honey, I used to be a muscular woman who bench pressed 2 sets of 10 reps at 100 pounds. When I also ate at a calorie deficit my arms were lean and long like the rest of me. Please enjoy your eight pound dumbells. If you eat at a calorie deficit you will lose fat (ie. mass). Period.
    When your biceps and deltoids get stronger your body fat will burn faster :)
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've got a couple more pounds to lose. I know it's not that heavy but my muscles are responding very quickly to it. And for lean arms I've heard that light weights are better but 5 or 3 pounds just sounds so light. I feel like I wouldn't get any kind of tone. Though I've never tried it, so I'm not saying it wouldn't work.

Well If you stay in a caloric deficit you will lose weight.. Both fat and muscle.. Just stay on the course you have taken and don't be afraid...If you're dieting down there is NO WAY your arms will get big...But you will get toned.. Your skin will tighten to your new size with time.. As for your muscle response, I hope you're not referring to the pump you have immediately after your workouts cause that's just normal.. You know, building muscle is actually not easy for the most guys, let alone girls..Just beware of injuries, track your macros and drink a lot of water.. Good luck
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You won't get too bulky, you're a woman, unless you have freakish genes or take steroids, it's almost impossible to get overly muscular unless you

1. Get your body fat too low so those muscles stick out more.
    2. Work out for several years consistently and continuously build more muscle mass over the entire period with a diet suited for muscle development utilizing a workout regimen geared towards increasing muscle mass.

Also, by lifting light weights with high reps, you're actually doing the opposite, high volume workouts produce muscle more than low volume with high weights. Trying actually increase the amount of weight you use and reduce the amount of reps, this will encourage your body to build strength and endurance rather than just having your body focus on increasing muscle mass in order to handle longer workouts that require more tension and muscularity.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    When exactly did you begin lifting? A few weeks? A few months?

You say also that you perform 20 reps per set. That is considered a high volume of reps and if you aren't struggling to complete the final ones, then by no means is it considered heavy.

Although beginners can slightly increase lean mass for a very short time, your answer could shed light on whether or not you have increased muscle tissue significant enough to visually notice. Most people think they're increasing muscle mass while dieting simply because they are beginning to see the shape of the muscle which was previously hidden by fat; that or their muscles are temporarily bloated due to storing extra water and glycogen for repairs. This tends to last for up to 3 weeks when your water balance settles.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Man, all it takes is 8lbs weights to build bulky arms? I've been doing it all wrong!

I'd love to see these supposedly bulky arms. Methinks you're just losing fat and revealing the already-existing muscle underneath. In which case, if you don't like the effects, quit losing weight?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Visible muscles comes with weight loss; as the fat shrinks the muscle you already have is exposed. You aren't building muscle on a deficit with 8 pound weights. If you don't like the look, stop losing weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    pics?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    The suggestion of a higher weight at fewer reps is a good one. As already said, your arms are just retaining water to help recovery. It's a temporary pump due to the exercise. Keep lifting heavier dumbbells (heavy for you) and you will see your arms get smaller and leaner as you continue dieting. It works. I used to use 10lb dumbbells. I now bench press with a working weight of 85lb (5x5 set). My arms have shrunk dramatically (see my profile pic for my current arm size - very lean).
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Your a female, you can't get big and bulky. I once too felt that way when my bodyfat was over 25%, I could see some definition when under the right lighting. Once I dropped my bf% below 20%, my arms leaned out nicely with great muscle definition. To maintain my arms I curl 25lbs dumbbells on each hand at 15 reps, shoulder press 60lbs at 15 reps, I don't curl 5 lbs dumbbells to maintain, that's just unheard of, well for myself it is.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I think what you are experiencing is the pump which usally occurs when doing higher reps, it will 100% go away.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Honey, I used to be a muscular woman who bench pressed 2 sets of 10 reps at 100 pounds. When I also ate at a calorie deficit my arms were lean and long like the rest of me. Please enjoy your eight pound dumbells. If you eat at a calorie deficit you will lose fat (ie. mass). Period.

I am just starting using the bench press and I am doing 3x10 @ 85.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you're netting 100-500 cals regularly as your diary suggests there is no way you're getting bulky ...
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My bikini competitor trainer taught us exactly what she does to get her unbelievable, trim, gorgeous, NOT bulky body. What I would give to have her arms...but I still have too much fat on mine. That's what makes them bulky, not weights. You might be noticing the "swell" from water influx for muscle repair- that is NOT permanent. There's no way 8 lb weights would bulk you up- I doubt you'd even see visible results (aside from the water).

Use as heavy a weight as you can to complete 8-10 reps with good form. You should not be able to do more than 10 without pausing, or it's too light. Your 8-lb dumbbells aren't going to give you much results...try double that. I never use less than 15. Do more than 1 set, of course- 3 sets of 8-10 heavy reps is a good guideline. Don't do all the same exercise all in a row though- do several different exercises and then repeat the circuit 3 times.
  • Slrajr
    Options

I am just starting using the bench press and I am doing 3x10 @ 85.

Wow! Impressive:)
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Slarjr....you are awesome! I reached my PR the other day with 5 reps of 95 lbs. Can't imagine 10 reps at 100!! Like the OP, wish my arms were leaner, We will get there. It's my squats that I totally suck on! But it's soooo fun lifting! :flowerforyou:
  • Slrajr
    Options

Slarjr....you are awesome! I reached my PR the other day with 5 reps of 95 lbs. Can't imagine 10 reps at 100!! Like the OP, wish my arms were leaner, We will get there. It's my squats that I totally suck on! But it's soooo fun lifting! :flowerforyou:

Thank you:flowerforyou:
    Actually this was about 11 years ago. I have had an injury that's prevented me from lifting for over six years. I hope to start from scratch with only bands by Spring 2014.